• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How Do You Think Tim Sylvia Would Have Fared With Today's Heavyweights?

Timmeh was deceptively difficult to beat in his prime.

He was incredibly awkward and not athletically gifted at all. Yet, he was incredibly effective.

In his prime, I think his fighting style matches up well against Werdum but Cain and JDS would be too much for him.

I remember when he was campaigning for the UFC to sign him again and Dana wouldn't drop the beef so he retired. I think he would have came back to win some and lose some. He was the best HW of the dark ages.

He didn't fight during the dark ages. Why do sherdoggers like to pretend they were watching back then.

He would lose every fight available.

The sport has evolved too much. Even at HW.

Then why is AA next in line for a title shot?

Tim was the best HW UFC champion. HE might have gotten fat and lazy, but that doesn't change what he did.

Big Tim had the unfortunate combination of being slow, a lack of footwork, and a lack of head movement, which is normally pretty catastrophic at HW. His size, toughness and the low striking ability of his competition at the time kept him relatively safe, but no way he handles the big, faster KO strikers like JDS or Arlovski nowadays or the well-rounded volume strikers like Cain or Werdum. I even think someone like Nelson has a good chance to put prime Tim away if Sylvia doesn't clinch. If Couture could land an overhand right bomb on Sylvia and almost put him away I have no doubt Roy could, too.

I see Ben Rothwell as a more athletic Tim Sylvia. Both tough, big guys with no quit in them, but maybe somewhat lacking in proficiency compared to the elite.

He didn't fight during the dark ages. Why do sherdoggers like to pretend they were watching back then.

Lol, I was a huge fan at the time and even I stopped watching during "the dark ages" because I couldn't find it broadcast anywhere. It wasn't until I found Pride around 2002 that I got back in to MMA. Sylvia was certainly not a "dark ages" champ lol.

Tim was a lot better than people give him credit for. It's amazing how over time, fighters are viewed as worse and worse by fans.

Tim was a lot better than people give him credit for. It's amazing how over time, fighters are viewed as worse and worse by fans.

I don't know. Big Tim was the one guy who even as a 6'8" undefeated HW champ still never got credit or hype. He was always universally hated and even at his peak he was considered easy pickings for most of the Pride HW roster. I mean he certainly got a lot of hate after losses like Mercer and Abe Wagner but many people were saying he was a mid-low level talent even when he was champ.

Lol, I was a huge fan at the time and even I stopped watching during "the dark ages" because I couldn't find it broadcast anywhere. It wasn't until I found Pride around 2002 that I got back in to MMA. Sylvia was certainly not a "dark ages" champ lol.

He didn't know what dark ages means

I burned out on MMA around 8. I started again when they started promoting it during the best damn sports show

The only people that think he wasn't good or is over rated are the newbs who only saw the randy fight (which he had a hurt back and randy knew it) or that big nog submitted him (even though Tim was dominating until then....think sonnen vs Silva 1 if you don't remember). Tim Sylvia was awesome, is awesome and will always be awesome

If you doubt the awesomeness I'll prove it to you: you just read it on sherdog=fact

Sylvia is still the best HW champion the UFC has ever had.

Easily top 10. He'd do better than Mir and Nelson.

He was better than Rothwell honestly. But below the elite like JDS, etc.

Prime Tim Sylvia would do a lot better than most posters here will admit. I was never a fan either.

That or he'd have a 90% chance of winning half of the time...

Comparable fighters today

Rousey-for his submissions
Guida-for his cardio
McGregor-for his popularity
Northcutt-for his athleticism

The Maineiac was a beast. Deserves to be in the hall of fame

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakedboy
Back