• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How do you tell your wife

No warning letters for past occurrence? I understand the companies concern but I'd expect the union to put up a good fight with 27 years in. I can understand a cardinal sin violation i.e. stealing but smoking a cigarette indoors..? I've witnessed someone fired for theft, the union didn't get his job back, he lawyered up and went after the union and company, winning his job. Has your business agent reviewed the video with you? I think you should fight it - go above the union.
sex style :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s want it free, they all drink my piss

Are those only temporary cameras? I guess im more talking about an office environment. Im not an expert on labor laws but I know in CA there have to be signs or at least make the employees aware of the cameras.

I could see in 5-10 years though everyone having a camera on their desk watching everything you do.
Yes temporary hidden cameras. Im our union steward so i deal with this stuff all the time.

Actually none in this area.
The closest would be a forklift operator, or warehousing.
They top out around $16/ hr.
Do you believe people who commit suicide go to hell?
^^^^^^^:
Only thing stopping me.
I really let her and myself down.
hell is a indoctrinated scam that some of us are born into, but you never know and anyone who claims to is full of it

stop beating yourself up. your life isn't over for fucks sake. its just a job.

Dont lie to her, but dont tell her either. Don't mention shit. Just try to find another job ASAP. Once you have another job lined up, then break the news to her. If she is worth your love in the slightest, she will understand and be completely on your side and say FUCK your former employer.

if she gives you shit or makes you feel worse, divorce her ass and never look back.

My advice is the only REAL and LOGICAL steps you should act on it.

you just gotta learn to eat ass and everything will be alright

TS, your life is worth more than a job. You existed before this job, you will exist after it. Ending it all because of this would be a huge waste, IMO.

You're obviously going through a lot of emotions right now. I would open up to your wife. Be completely and totally honest, both in the facts of the situation and how you're feeling about it. This will be a hard thing to do but wholly necessary. There really is no other viable option.

Also you may need to talk to someone if you continue to have suicidal thoughts.

Call a help line tonight if you need to. Try to see a therapist too. They may be able to help you through this incredibly challenging time of change.

You have been fired?
Got fired after 27 years for smoking cigs in an unauthorized area of the plant.
Actually, they put a camera up, and I got recorded smoking 3 times. Too cold to smoke outside, so I thought I'd be slick. Didn't work.
Union had a 3rd step grievance, and the company refused to budge.

Also....it will be near impossible to find another good job at my age. (plus trying to explain to a prospective employer I was fired after 27 years.

Really fucking me up.

No pity party here, but really considering ending it all.

I hurt real bad. Let down my wife.
Good news, is that you keep what you earned. Once a person is vested in a pension plan or 401K, he or she has the right to keep it. If the balance is less than $5,000 your former employer may force you to move it immediately. If the job came with a retirement package, it was a good job. If it didn't, I wouldn't worry about it.

1. Simply tell the truth - you were habitual smoker. And you struggled with an updated smoking area policy. You're now vaping.
  2. Get a letter from your employer stating that you were a good worker, respectful etc. but struggled with smoking policy and you agreed you should cut down, quit or use a e-cig option in the future.
  3. If your skill is valued, you may not even have to say anything.
  4. Get a reference from someone high up at your previous job. You'd be surprised how quickly someone else will vouch for you, that isn't your boss.
  5. They can't legally ask anything except - when you started and when you left. But your old job can offer the information.

if she gives you shit or makes you feel worse, divorce her ass and never look back.

My advice is the only REAL and LOGICAL steps you should act on it.
Man this forum is hard on women.

If she's upset? Kill her

You have been fired?
Actually, they put a camera up, and I got recorded smoking 3 times. Too cold to smoke outside, so I thought I'd be slick. Didn't work.

Also....it will be near impossible to find another good job at my age. (plus trying to explain to a prospective employer I was fired after 27 years.

Really fucking me up.

27 years? dude how much severance did they give you? I'd see a lawyer ASAP.

@OldTimer - you in Michigan? Steelworkers?

Shit like this happens all the time with the U.

What were the other, first two "strikes" from? Other smoke breaks?

Also - please don't do any harm to yourself. You can pick the phone and call that number at any time.

Tell your wife. More importantly use this as an opportunity to give up those bloody cigarettes.

I too know the deadly attraction to nicotine. When I had a government job I would clandestinely vape in my cubicle, knowing full well that it was a serious violation of the rules. I would slowly drag on it and exhale through a sweater. You probably couldn't smell it after the cloth dried up the vapor. I also farted ALOT. Like extremely obnoxious ones. Nice strong AC would spread it around so I was blameless.

You have been fired?

Really fucking me up.

first off, please don't off yourself. you want to make your wife feel worse? doing that will do it.

secondly, i don't think being fired at 27 years is that big of an issue. you must have been a good worker, if they kept you on for 27 years. with your next employer and interview, if they ask about it, just be honest and say that you are (were?) a life-long smoker, and that losing your past job was a VERY valuable lesson to have learned the hard way.

all people admire those who are brave-enough to admit wrongdoing, and in showing the effort to make an honest change. do this! you will not only become employed once again, but your wife will have newfound respect for you.

the key, is to not feel sorry for yourself, and to not wallow in your own mistake.

What does your contract say regarding the appeal steps and grievances? If you have a good Union contract, there should be a way where you can go to an arbitration hearing. I couldn't see where an Arbitrator would uphold firing you for this unless you have a long disciplinary record. If they had a camera, I'm sure they caught others. What happened to them?

Daym, that sucks.
Best of luck, man.
Also, as some others have said, telling it straight would be best.

You're union? Just tell her you got fired for working too hard. Lazy pricks.

In all honesty, I'm sure your union will hook you up with another job soon.

This..

That doesn't sound like any good reason to end your life, man. I was just watching this yesterday, seems a bit relevant:

I'm sure you can recover from this if it's just the job. Sucks for sure, shit happens but life goes on. That's not an unforgivable screw up on your part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back