How do you seasoned guys view us (the noobs)

umm really it's mainly just as long as they aren't cocky i don't care who goes into the gym
i mean i jsut started like a month and a half ago and everyone was is chill like there are a bunch of pro fighters but they aren't cocky like no one is cocky. And well i just don't like some wannabe coming in thinking they are all that.

Where do you train in Fayettville? Lots of decent guys around there to train with, was curious if you were at Greg's place.

i generally don't give the noobs a second thought. i am always nice and try to make them feel welcome, but that is about it.

the reason is i have seen most people drop out after a few months. i have spent countless hours training new guys, only to watch them disappear. now i wait to make sure that they are staysing before i invest any time in them.

I'm still a noob myself (3 months, 1 stripe) but aside from our instructor everyone is a white (2 4 stripers, 1 3 stripe) since I have joined we also have had quite a few new guys come in. I rely a LOT on my wrestling background, but my philosophy when dealing with new guys is kind of the same attitude I had throughout my wrestling career.

1)Encouragement-being a dick to a new guy does nothing for the sport, and is going to cost your gym a member, and you a potential partner.

2)As dick-ish as it is to say, I use the newer guys to practice things I am weak on, or just learned. (For example Sunday I hit a new guy with a bow and arrow choke in gi) we talked about what I did afterward, and our instructor threw in his advice for defense. The same philosophy is true in wrestling. If there's a newer guy in the room, you want to use any time with him going live to work things you need to work on, over and over, getting the technique down, before you go out and try it in a match/fight.

Just my 2 cents.

I am not all that experienced (about a year and a half), but the brand new guys I enjoy teaching what I know of the basics. It helps me refine my technique as well when I teach it.

Maybe I've just had a good run of white belts, but I'm always a little excited to see new people start. And I really like rolling with white belts because it allows me to work on the things I am not very good at (which are many ...)

I'll admit that I don't always like learning new techniques when I'm partnered with white belts. But that's mostly because I'm often not quite sure I'm doing the technique correctly (I'm only a two stripe blue) and I'd hate to have a white belt copying my bad habits and mistakes.

One thing I love more than anything, though, is coaching and cheering on white belts at tournaments. Having only trained for two and a half years, I actually felt honored when my instructor asked me to look after some of the white belts at a recent tournament (we had a TON of people competing, as usual, and he was spread pretty thin).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back