How do you seasoned guys view us (the noobs)

BobSacamano

White Belt
Reaction score
ASSUMING WE ARE NOT SPAZZES. I know how everyone feels about noobs coming in, spazzing and injuring everyone in their path.

Alot of the threads are always how a noob white belt feels their first few weeks/months of training. And it is always encouraging to hear, "just keep going, have fun", "you are gonna feel like a tool, it takes time" etc. etc...

But I left the mat last night wondering what the high whites and blues I rolled with think (not that what someone else thinks matters but I am just curious about how humble, non spaz noobs are perceived). Are they thinking, "man what a wuss" or "I am glad that's not me anymore" or "I see no improvement in this guy and its been months, wtf?" or "damn, in another year he is gonna destroy me" or "let me work on my own game and I could care less who I am fighting"

Here's what I think: my instructor is not only my BJJ coach, I consider him a friend. I see any new guy as a potential new training partner and friend, and as someone who will help perpetuate the life of the school in which I train. Whether you spazz, don't relax or whatever, my goal is to encourage you to come back and learn to love the sport as I do.

I try to give a few pointers if I can, tell them good job and greet them when they come back.

I think it depends on the culture of your school and the individuals within your school.

If remember when I first started training, its tough, so anyone new who comes I try to make them feel as welcome as possible. You learn can learn from a white belt or a black belt, so I view them as a new potential training partner.

My school is also a very friendly place where ego's are left at the door and everyone encourages each other, so we view anyone new as a good thing (we're also very small and very new so we want to grow!)

The excpetions? When someone new arrives, thinks they are some sort of olympic athlete, even though they clearly don't know what they are doing, and ends up injuring someone (this happened recently). Or if someone has an attitude...

if i roll with someone who is a beginner and isn't a spaz and relaxes and listens...i tell myself "this guy is going to be good."

Here's what I think: my instructor is not only my BJJ coach, I consider him a friend. I see any new guy as a potential new training partner and friend, and as someone who will help perpetuate the life of the school in which I train. Whether you spazz, don't relax or whatever, my goal is to encourage you to come back and learn to love the sport as I do.

Well said. That's exactly how I feel.

everyone was new at some point. i try to show new students the ropes. teach them the virtues of relaxing and working technique. even though i wasn't a spaz, someone showed me how to train properly so i pass that on. if youre 4-5 months in and still want to crank subs on other defensless noobs, ima break out my spaz bustin' stick and whoop that trick...with superior technique of course.

"let me at him!"

na, i think its cool whenever anyone new comes in. my school is a little low key, so anyone that comes across it was either referred by a friend or really researched for a school. Everyone at my school is cool, without any exception and we have a lot of studs that grapple. Because of that, i personally respect anybody THAT COMES BACK, regardless of their ability or skill

I try to be nice to the new guys - i can see the eager to learn and no matter how many times they ask the same question, or how dumb the question is ill take the time to explain it again and again.

I enjoy showing techniques and talking about jiujitsu with the new guys even more then some of the veterans. The reason being is the majority of the veterans think they know what they are talking about, and finish your sentences for you. They dont want to see anything new, and right after you show it they show you a better way to do it.. thats total crap. Not all.. but a lot.

My personal method of dealing with new guys:

Be friendly, roll light, let them do stuff.

If they go really hard, positionally dominate, choke them a lot.

Give them some pointers if they are making clear mistakes or ask for help.

Don't get too attached or invest too much time, they probably won't last a month.

I go to a very friendly school and noobs are treated like old friends.

I know that this sounds really elitist but personally, I have seen so many noobs come and go through the years that I no longer make an effort to meet them. Once they've demonstrated that they're committed and they're approaching blue belt, I pay more attention to them and will introduce myself.

Everyone was a whitebelt once, as long as you're humble and eager to learn, i'm sure they see you as a good guy. It's not easy at first and that's why some many guys quit.

Guys can you define a spaz? And explain how a white belt SHOULD roll? I just started training again recently and while I don't *think* I 'spaz' out(limbs flailing like crazy, going 100%), I do keep moving and try to isolate limbs, etc. I don't even know a quarter of the basics but it seems like rolling without a bit of aggression just leaves you dead in the water.
If whitebelts should just stick to what they know and NOTHING else, let us know! I'd rather save my energy for more classes in a week than wasting it in rolls where i'm hardly sure of what i'm doing.

Spaz to me was what I was when I first started...Didn't want to get beat, would use my strength to toss around the smaller guys, little bit of an ego. It was 100% all the time....needless to say I gassed often. Now it's completely the opposite, I go hard when something presents itself, but most of the time it's slow rolling trying to gain position from which to work. To me that is when it started becoming fun...more like chess instead of an all out wrestling match. Once the newbs start to really try to use their technique to pass the guard, pin, whatever, is when I start to enjoy rolling with them. They tend not too beat you up at that point, and for me I notice this change after a few months of rolling.

I don't even know a quarter of the basics but it seems like rolling without a bit of aggression just leaves you dead in the water.

I am the opposite and that is what concerns me. I roll with no aggression, therefore I "feel" passive and not aggressive - aka a wuss. I can't figure out if I am trying too hard not to use strength and just use whatever techniques I have. The problem is, at only 5 months of training my skills are still subpar therefore its an ass-kicking everytime.

I am the opposite and that is what concerns me. I roll with no aggression, therefore I "feel" passive and not aggressive - aka a wuss. I can't figure out if I am trying too hard not to use strength and just use whatever techniques I have. The problem is, at only 5 months of training my skills are still subpar therefore its an ass-kicking everytime.

I was the same way when I started...maybe i'm going harder because all my partners go hard. Hopefully, your attitude will pay off in the long run since you're focusing on the actual art itself from the beginning instead of 'muscling' through things. Maybe I should go back to being like that...

Back