How do you seasoned guys view us (the noobs)

Guys can you define a spaz? And explain how a white belt SHOULD roll? I just started training again recently and while I don't *think* I 'spaz' out(limbs flailing like crazy, going 100%), I do keep moving and try to isolate limbs, etc. I don't even know a quarter of the basics but it seems like rolling without a bit of aggression just leaves you dead in the water.
If whitebelts should just stick to what they know and NOTHING else, let us know! I'd rather save my energy for more classes in a week than wasting it in rolls where i'm hardly sure of what i'm doing.

I dont think there is anything wrong with a spaz. Unless he has his arms flailing of course. The noobs usually come in and do what would normally work for them in a rasslin match in being very aggressive and thats fine. Over time they will find they are overcommitting themselves way too often and will ajust to the game they are learning.

I loved fighting them as they really help keep your game from becoming too routine. Once, after having 10 years judo, 4 wrestling and 1 in bjj...I was almost choked out by a 'headlock' from a noob.:) Prior to that I havent fought many 'noobs' in a while and I believe thats why. It was a short time coming back from a layoff and I was just expecting the tried-n-true grappling moves.

If you aren't constantly fighting tuff, fit noobs then you are missing out on a very important part of the game imo. Unless you are prepping for comp of course.

...sometimes people just like to bitch.

Guys can you define a spaz? And explain how a white belt SHOULD roll? I just started training again recently and while I don't *think* I 'spaz' out(limbs flailing like crazy, going 100%), I do keep moving and try to isolate limbs, etc. I don't even know a quarter of the basics but it seems like rolling without a bit of aggression just leaves you dead in the water.
If whitebelts should just stick to what they know and NOTHING else, let us know! I'd rather save my energy for more classes in a week than wasting it in rolls where i'm hardly sure of what i'm doing.

it isn't so much being aggressive - you have to be when rolling. but, for example, there are new guys i see come in and think they are hot shit and will slap on sloppy kimuras, chokes and armbars where the technique is so bad that all it has is the potential to injure someone, not make them tap.

basically, the spazzes are meat heads that don't practice technique properly, and all they care about is winning the sparring. ive seen a lot of guys just try to rip a submission into place as hard as possible by just forcing it, which can lead to injuries.

i had a guy who tried to put me in a kimura while i was in his half guard. it was terrible and initially wasn't doing anything, and as i was starting to get out of it he starts to wrench it as hard as possible. naturally the submission didn't do its job, but he was certainly hurting my freakin arm by wrenching it like that. that is a spaz and will unnecessarily hurt you.

Personally, what I think of a noob has nothing to do with their performance on the mats, and totally to do with their attitude towards training.

A spaz with a good attitude will not be a spaz for long because little by little others will make suggestions, and the guy will learn.

If a white belt spazzes and goes into "crush mode" on me, I calmly trap them in my guard, armbar/triangle/omo, or work a sweep and ride them hard from top position. I have a pretty heavy kesa and I know how to make it unbearable. I'll just hold a heavy pin on them for a few minutes, letting them know that I was not impressed with their performance, and a lot of the time they tap out from exhaustion or position.

I'm not big on reprimanding people. If they piss me off, they'll know it after a roll or two.

I'm a complete noob...but I've noticed that more advanced students anywhere I go are always eager to help giving pointers etc...some do take advantage by whipping out some crazy moves on you because it's easy to pull on you, but they still try to help you afterwards.

1st day noob

1 week noob

1 month noob

At 6 months I still consider some people noobs. Then, there are noob belt colors. I consider myself a purple belt noob. I treat everyone in the most courteous way possible. I am amazed at watching people change their lives with my very own eyes. This 10 month noob finally got a stripe in a mini in house tournament. He got a standing ovation. Old guys losing weight, making themselves better.

I treat noobs like a miracle in the waiting. So many never make it. They cannot persevere. Some pretty amazing people came walking through our academy for the first time.

You never know which one could be the magic noob...

Noob for life...

I've been goin to my gym for juuuust over a year and a half and I still consider myself a noob at times. If you always feel like you have the advantage, you need to expand your experience. New guys, as long as they are there to learn and aren't too aggressive, I love having them in. My gym is a MMA gym, so we get some guys that think they are the next big thing and gods gift to fighting. Those are the annoying ones. Or, the gung-ho wrestlers, who you tell to take it easy. Shoot in for a double leg and slam you down, then have no idea what to do beyond that. Those are the guys I don't like.

As long as you're there to learn and not show off, I have no problems. If you're a tool and going to hurt someone... well... we'll hurt you first. :D

As for the wuss thing... joint locks, we know they hurt. No one is going to push those on a new guy. It's not a easy sport on the body. You get a better idea of what you can deal with as time goes on and your tolerance for pain goes up. Unless a guy is just oddly wussy, no one has an issue with it at all.

I treat every serious WB as a potential champion in the making.

Thats not to say I don't hit them with Uchimata when they lean over, or choke them when they leave their neck exposed, but I view it all as training. After all, I was a WB at one time, and its not a hate on the noobies, its just another way to teach them how to be better players.

As long as they are not a dick, I try and encrouage them to join the fold. I don't mind if they spaz out a bit but have good intentions and you can see that its a trait that will tone down after a little time.

If they are arrogant and spaz, then I generally don't give a shit about them and just ignore them but to be honest I have only met one or possibly two people that were like that.

I like noobs if they stay. But if you put time and attention into them and they cant hang or quit, pisses me off.

New guys with heart and determination, I love em. Willingness to really give it a go, wins my respect every time.

i tell them to just let me submit them cuz thats whats going to happen anyway.

nice on the outside and fucking annoyed on the inside, waste of my time, sure he will improve and maybe one day help my game but at that particular time it is annoying

Here's what I think: my instructor is not only my BJJ coach, I consider him a friend. I see any new guy as a potential new training partner and friend, and as someone who will help perpetuate the life of the school in which I train. Whether you spazz, don't relax or whatever, my goal is to encourage you to come back and learn to love the sport as I do.

Word.

I try to be as humble and nice as I can, I sincerly want them to return and get better. Both to get new sparring partners (especially if they are at my weight) and to get the club going with active members that compete.

Whenever I roll with a noob I usually think it will be a good break between attempts at fending off the high belts.

I also think about this.... how much I've learned and how if I had to restart jiu jitsu it would be ridiculous to re-learn everything you've already learned, some things that just seem so simple and natural would be gone.

If you had to learn it all again would you? Fuck its a long way to go and alot you've learned, learning it all again would be a bitch.

I look at the noob whose not really aware of this and try to help them....

Although there are always a few fuckers who piss me off and I enjoy smashing them through the fucking ground.

I'm a new bluebelt, and I normally stay away from WBs because I'm afraid of injuries. The other day I was rolling with a brand new WB and I pass his guard but leave my head too close to his legs and he clamps his legs around my head and squeezes as hard as he can. I wasn't in any danger but it took a while to get out of that position and then my neck is sore for several days afterward. It just pisses me off some of the stuff WBs do because they don't really know what to do.

I love working with new people for two reasons. A) I can focus on technique when I roll with them, not just surviving like with a higher belt. B) I love helping people out. I find it personally gratifying to coach someone through a technique even when I am the target. The guy I have been rolling with is considerably less experienced then I am (although he is a solid white not a complete noob) and I have been helping out lately. Last night, I coached him through a real good hip escape from the mount, a half guard sweep and a bow and arrow choke. I was proud of the kid and I have only known him 2 weeks. So, maybe it is just me but I love helping people out regardless of their who knows maybe they know something I don't and will return the favour.

It happens at all levels. My kickboxing instructor back in the day was a 2 time world champion, he used to go down to Mo Smith's gym and help train Frank Shamrock. In return Frank taught him a bunch of grappling which he would come back and teach us. Frank was a newb standing and Stan was a newb on the ground but both had skills in other areas.

umm really it's mainly just as long as they aren't cocky i don't care who goes into the gym
i mean i jsut started like a month and a half ago and everyone was is chill like there are a bunch of pro fighters but they aren't cocky like no one is cocky. And well i just don't like some wannabe coming in thinking they are all that.

Back