How do you folks balance weight training, cardio, and practicing your sport?

Baby Hanma

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I guess for "practicing your sport", I meant martial arts, since this is Sherdog.

I'm 1.5 years in to my powerlifting life. I plan to keep it up until I get three years of training under my belt... But something in me tells me I should switch to Judo forever after that, still training but deprioritizing the heavy stuff.

With that said, how do you folks structure your weekly training that involves weight training, cardio, and sports practice?

I'd really appreciate it.

I either do one all out heavy session a week and maybe a light day a few days later or do Dan John’s easy strength. For example I ran a 12 week linear periodization taken from Marty gallaghers book purposeful primitive for three months. Every Friday I’d have my heavy day then go to happy hour. That ended a couple weeks ago and after a week off I started easy strength which has me lifting a light load 4 days and one day I go heavier. But no grinding everything feels good. After I do 40 workouts of that I’ll probably go back to another round of the once a week deal.

I’m not particularly strong in the weight room, I float around the mid 400s for deadlift and am trying to get a bodyweight ohp that is far away, so this isn’t probably the best way to go about it, but I still feel good and am able to train bjj and muay Thai As much as I want and not have to stress about eating enough food and all that bullshit

I don't do weight training, only body weight exercises (calisthenics).

I run on days that I'm not training martial arts, or otherwise in the early morning of a training day. I usually end my runs with some calisthenics (pull-ups, dips, push-ups, burpees, etc.).

I train martial arts about 4 times a week on average (sometimes less because of work or more if I'm really motivated and getting good enough sleep that week). And I also run about 4 times a week with distance being anything between 5km and 8km and including one long run of 10km+. Where I run is all uphill and downhill so a lot of elevation. I sometimes also do hill sprints or stair runs.

PRobably weight training best to keep in low volume,high intensity 2x week fullbody mode and focus on big compounds and getting stronger on them. For cardio there is tons of options and you can pick the frequency/volume you think is optimal. Doing boxing or something like that already gives you decent cardio imo so unless your strugling with cardio during sparring or yoilu are a competing athlete, i dont see much point doing too much cardio. Allocate as much time as possible to skill training as that is fhe most important by far

It’s tough. Different parts of my life prioritizes different things. Ultimately the other parts that I neglect or try to maintain tend to fall behind

It’s tough. Different parts of my life prioritizes different things. Ultimately the other parts that I neglect or try to maintain tend to fall behind

Yeah me too. If, on a certain week, my work ethic is top notch on my weight training, my house is gonna end up being a dirty mess.

I just wish I was rich and can hire people who will do all my adulting activities for me.

PRobably weight training best to keep in low volume,high intensity 2x week fullbody mode and focus on big compounds and getting stronger on them. For cardio there is tons of options and you can pick the frequency/volume you think is optimal. Doing boxing or something like that already gives you decent cardio imo so unless your strugling with cardio during sparring or yoilu are a competing athlete, i dont see much point doing too much cardio. Allocate as much time as possible to skill training as that is fhe most important by far

I heard recently that a person needs 75 minutes of rigorous cardio a week to be healthy, and more if the cardio is not intense...

So I guess if it takes me five minutes at a time to finish my ultra high rep kettlebell squats and swings, than I should do them twice a day, every day or something? Whatever it takes to avoid running, man.

I can simply adjust the intensity depending on the day or something, to make up for the fact that it's everyday, twice a day.

I don't do weight training, only body weight exercises (calisthenics).

I run on days that I'm not training martial arts, or otherwise in the early morning of a training day. I usually end my runs with some calisthenics (pull-ups, dips, push-ups, burpees, etc.).

I train martial arts about 4 times a week on average (sometimes less because of work or more if I'm really motivated and getting good enough sleep that week). And I also run about 4 times a week with distance being anything between 5km and 8km and including one long run of 10km+. Where I run is all uphill and downhill so a lot of elevation. I sometimes also do hill sprints or stair runs.

And with that schedule, you are able to make progress in your calisthenics performance and cardio performance over time?

I either do one all out heavy session a week and maybe a light day a few days later or do Dan John’s easy strength. For example I ran a 12 week linear periodization taken from Marty gallaghers book purposeful primitive for three months. Every Friday I’d have my heavy day then go to happy hour. That ended a couple weeks ago and after a week off I started easy strength which has me lifting a light load 4 days and one day I go heavier. But no grinding everything feels good. After I do 40 workouts of that I’ll probably go back to another round of the once a week deal.

I’m not particularly strong in the weight room, I float around the mid 400s for deadlift and am trying to get a bodyweight ohp that is far away, so this isn’t probably the best way to go about it, but I still feel good and am able to train bjj and muay Thai As much as I want and not have to stress about eating enough food and all that bullshit

... So you don't do cardio other than the cardio-esque workout you get from BJJ and Muay Thai training?

... So you don't do cardio other than the cardio-esque workout you get from BJJ and Muay Thai training?
When I really want to prepare for something I usually do Dan John’s armor building complex two or three times a week, which is double kettlebells two cleans one press and three front squats every minute on the minute. Always worked for me, but most of the time I don’t really do much cardio I’m a stone mason so a lot of my work is kind of exercising all day anyways

I don't train and get fat. Or I overtrain and get fatigued and depressed. Only right way to do it.

And with that schedule, you are able to make progress in your calisthenics performance and cardio performance over time?

I don't want to become a calisthenics expert or a marathon runner, this is side training to combat sports. So yes I'm getting enough progress, the goal is just to be fight fit nothing else.

Train full body everyday of week and rotate random days between heavy shit and moving faster. Simplified, no master plan needed.

Last edited:
I plan my year out ahead of time.

Focusing on one thing per quarter intensely, while lowering the intensity of others accordingly and adjusting my diet.

Q1: Strength focus at an increased intensity, bulking, Jiu-Jitsu/grappling skills training moderately intense.

Q2: Conditioning focus at moderate intensity, cutting, Muay Thai/boxing skills training with increased intensity.

Q3: Jiu-Jitsu/grappling skills training at an increased intensity, maintenance level calorie intake, moderate volume/moderate intensity strength training.

Q4: Jit-Jitsu/grappling skills training at moderate intensity, cutting, Muay Thai/boxing skills training at a moderate level.

Give or take.

I plan my year out ahead of time.

Focusing on one thing per quarter intensely, while lowering the intensity of others accordingly and adjusting my diet.

Q1: Strength focus at an increased intensity, bulking, Jiu-Jitsu/grappling skills training moderately intense.

Q2: Conditioning focus at moderate intensity, cutting, Muay Thai/boxing skills training with increased intensity.

Q3: Jiu-Jitsu/grappling skills training at an increased intensity, maintenance level calorie intake, moderate volume/moderate intensity strength training.

Q4: Jit-Jitsu/grappling skills training at moderate intensity, cutting, Muay Thai/boxing skills training at a moderate level.

Give or take.

That sounds old school. lol. I hardly know anyone who still does periodization. It's all bro splits where I'm from.

I do have to ask... At times when your strength training is de-emphasized, how... How does it end up? A little bit stronger? Weaker? Same?

That sounds old school. lol. I hardly know anyone who still does periodization. It's all bro splits where I'm from.

I do have to ask... At times when your strength training is de-emphasized, how... How does it end up? A little bit stronger? Weaker? Same?

Usually weaker, seem to get back to previous levels pretty quickly though.

Back