How do you define a fair fight?

ironpekin

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
The idea of a fair fight was swirling around in my mind and I was wondering what the boudaries were. Fighting is apart of every culture in the world but a fair fight can mean very different things to every person. A while back I was joking with a friend and play fighting. We both squared up and as he moved I promptly threw a side kick to his front leg (just to check it, not to hurt him). And he was like "whoa what are you doing? You can't kick."

It got me thinking about how different cultures deem a fair fight. In some parts of the world a fair fight is when two guys just duke it out. In some places kicking is cool too. Now add in wrestling, jiu jitsu, etc.

If you and another guy decide to have a fight what is fair and what is not?

Do you think the definition of a fair fight in different places also determines the popularity of a particular combat sport (boxing, kickboxing, mma) in that region?

Pulling guard is fair.
Ball grabbing is not fair.
Maybe.

to the death is the only fair fight. then the loser doesn't have to live the shame of losing.

Fair fight has rules agreed on upfront and someone to ensure they're stuck to.

No touching of the hair or face.

Kicking is still seen as "girly" and unmanly in many cultures

A fair fight, is a fight where no guy has a clear advantage and both play by the rules, most fights are nowhere near fair though

Kicking is still seen as "girly" and unmanly in many cultures

No its just seen as un gentlemanly conduct....men rolling around on the floor intertwined is certainly seen as unmanly bordering on homosexual in many cultures though.

No kissing on the mouth.

I thought it was just no tongues. :confused:

Surely you know the unwritten rules-
no mouth peice = tongues allowed & fair game.
Mouth peice = little flick of the tongue ok
Double mouth peice = no tongue allowed.

Surely you know the unwritten rules-
no mouth peice = tongues allowed & fair game.
Mouth peice = little flick of the tongue ok
Double mouth peice = no tongue allowed.

thanks for the clarification. Now excuse me, i am going to throw-up in my mouth.

No its just seen as un gentlemanly conduct....men rolling around on the floor intertwined is certainly seen as unmanly bordering on homosexual in many cultures though.

You mean, in puritanical American movie-based artificial modern culture?

Yeah, im sad enough to bump a thread where no one acknowledged my original joke, what about it?

tumblr_lfzhwxVuUe1qce7cdo1_500.gif

You mean, in puritanical American movie-based artificial modern culture?

To be honest I wasn't counting them cos everyone knows that behind closed doors they really love that sh*t !

Back