Relationship How do you deal with 'grief'?

Takes Two To Tango

The one who doesn't fall, doesn't stand up.
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I haven't lost too many close loved ones in my life besides pets. My grandparents passing wasn't too bad, I've handled it very well. But my parents are in their 70s now.

Both are fairly good healthwise, but you never know. I'm very close to my parents. For those who've lost a close loved one recently or even in the past. How did you handle your grief?

And do you still go through those tough times of dealing with it?

There’s not much you can do except march forward. It’s inevitable. I still think about my father every day but I can’t dwell on it. Eventually the pain will fade a bit and you’ll be left with all the good memories.

My therapist told me I seem to have miraculous ability to bounce back and that my main way of dealing with grief and trauma was to amputate that part of my personality affected and just carry on, it has its draw backs and I wouldn't recommend it.

My therapist told me I seem to have miraculous ability to bounce back and that my main way of dealing with grief and trauma was to amputate that part of my personality affected and just carry on, it has its draw backs and I wouldn't recommend it.

How do you do that?

It's good to sit with the feeling. Feel it when you feel it, but let it pass. I do that with all emotions, good or bad.

It's better not to dwell on it or to repress it. Talk about it with close friends, let it out through some sort of expression, meditate.

How do you do that?

It's a subconscious process and a defensive mechanism that's formed overtime. I couldn't actually tell you.

It's something I wasn't aware of only because it was noted by my then therapist. After a 6 week break in therapy.

I thought it was normal for most people but he said it wasn't.

Back