How do people think that jiu jitsu has no place in a street fight?

BJJ only has submissions and how to fight off your back. Other than that they don't have any takedowns at all and have 0 top game:icon_neut. In fact you are actually worse off if you learn bjj because you will pull guard and go for some stupid submission that never works and get slammed. Not to mention hitting a guy in the balls and stabbing him in the eye counters everything in a bjj guys arsenal.

Krav Maga uses real situations with multiple attackers and proven "reliable" techniques to disarm someone with a gun, knife, or even a handgrenade.

No doubt the dumbest thing posted on sherdog in awhile

Okay retard...

A: We use many takedowns, we don't just pull guard. You're clearly absurdly uninformed, even for a sherdogger

B: If you really think it's as easy as "eye stabbing" or ball punching go to your local bjj academy and tell them you have a theory to test. See what they say

C: Darren Levine and Avi Nardia have both recommended crosstraining in BJJ. Whereas they both pointed out valid arguements, it remains that they both recommended it.

D: THE KRAV MAGA FLAGSHIP SCHOOL HAS AN ENTIRE GROUNDFIGHTNG FOCUS BASED ON BJJ. CHECK OUT THEIR WEBSITE.

E: Krav Maga is just shitty MT, Boxing and BJJ from the get go. Even Kelly McCann said so in BB magazine and he's argueably the most knowledgable person in H2H combat in the world.

F: With a knife or a gun REAL KM fighters (not some fat housewife, who needs something to do) are a force to behold. In unarmed combat, they would be owned by a person with even average skills in boxing, muay thai and sub grapploing

Last edited:
No doubt the dumbest thing posted on sherdog in awhile

Okay retard...

A: We use many takedowns, we don't just pull guard. You're clearly absurdly uninformed, even for a sherdogger

B: If you really think it's as easy as "eye stabbing" or ball punching go to your local bjj academy and tell them you have a theory to test. See what they say

C: Darren Levine and Avi Nardia have both recommended crosstraining in BJJ. Whereas they both pointed out valid arguements, it remains that they both recommended it.

D: THE KRAV MAGA FLAGSHIP SCHOOL HAS AN ENTIRE GROUNDFIGHTNG FOCUS BASED ON BJJ. CHECK OUT THEIR WEBSITE.

E: Krav Maga is just shitty MT, Boxing and BJJ from the get go. Even Kelly McCann said so in BB magazine and he's argueably the most knowledgable person in H2H combat in the world.

F: With a knife or a gun REAL KM fighters (not some fat housewife, who needs something to do) are a force to behold. In unarmed combat, they would be owned by a person with even average skills in boxing, muay thai and sub grapploing

^^this, though I have no fucking idea who kelly mccann is...

lots of people are like "there are only fights involving 1 on 20 or involving fists vs m16 or the eye gouge/sac shot"
-these are the people who have not been in a fight and they will be the first to say that bjj is useless and just run.

Completely agree. I've seen a ton of fights and have been in a few my own. I've never seen someone do a nut shot/eye gouge. I'm not claiming it doesn't happen but people say it like it's guaranteed to happen.

Thread starter is full of fail! Did you not see what happened to the who was initiating the ground fighting in the clip you posted?

because on the the floor someone can pull out a weapon and the other guy is vulnerable. and his friends can step on you.

BJJ is useful because you understand what it means to be in a dangerous position and what it means to be in a dominant and safe position. Of course you're not going to just take the fight to the ground. You can RNC while standing. lol Yes I am qualified to make a statement since I've experienced fights on the street before with the last one being against 2 attackers. haha But having some experience in a striking art really helps ;)

gotta be careful you don't snap someone's arm, blow out their knee, or unrightfully put them to sleep. they find out your jiu jitsu practitioner in court and rule you abused your skills your in deep heap. obviously if someone tackles you and lands in a traingle choke them to sleep and get outta there but during a fist fight you don't want to armbar someone on the ground cause if you let go they are back fighting and if u break it the police are at their hospital bedside asking what happened then looking for you.

gotta be careful you don't snap someone's arm, blow out their knee, or unrightfully put them to sleep. they find out your jiu jitsu practitioner in court and rule you abused your skills your in deep heap. obviously if someone tackles you and lands in a traingle choke them to sleep and get outta there but during a fist fight you don't want to armbar someone on the ground cause if you let go they are back fighting and if u break it the police are at their hospital bedside asking what happened then looking for you.

Agreed you get in a lot more trouble from breaking someones arm then just a fist fight. Putting someone to sleep I think you could be ok if the person woke up soon enough.

GotDaWork, You quoted this from me

depends. If you pulled guard... you're an idiot.

and wrote this

The guard is brilliant...what do you do? let them mount you? fuck that,you get thrown on your back and the guy dives in,you sweep or submit him.

I'm not totally sure I know what you're saying. The guard is an amazing tool and I'm not saying I wouldn't USE my guard if PUT on my back, but why the fuck would you elect to pull guard in a street/bar fight? No shit you should try to get a sweep/submission using your guard if taken or knocked down, but the fact that you're suggesting trying to sweep implies that you acknowledge top position being superior. So, you would try to get top position from the start rather than give it up just to get it back.

I mean, even in MMA, unless you're Werdum/Maia quality you are not smart to pull guard just for the sake of taking a fight to the ground.

I'm glad I steered clear of this thread. I read a few posts and already want to punch myself in the face.

Can't believe people think knowing bjj is a bad thing. Every discipline has its flaws. Theres different situations where striking would be beneficial and some situations where grappling would be more useful, bottom line.

i dont get why people think bjj guys would pull guard in fights
i dont pull guard at my gym ever

I strictly pull upside down guard in all situations, even at the night club. Just kidding of course.

Our school works take downs and take down defense for probably about 2 to 4 hours a week and I'd have to guess that that is about 2 to 4 hours more than most people you would get into a fight with. I'm sure most bjj guys will be fine in a fight.

I strictly pull upside down guard in all situations, even at the night club. Just kidding of course.

Our school works take downs and take down defense for probably about 2 to 4 hours a week and I'd have to guess that that is about 2 to 4 hours more than most people you would get into a fight with. I'm sure most bjj guys will be fine in a fight.

Upside down guard works!

I don't really get the "Don't use BJJ in a bar fight because someone will come up behind you and hit you in the head with a pool stick" argument. Yeah, just standing up you can also have someone come behind you and hit you in the back of the head with a pool stick.

Basically, don't get into a bar fight. And if you do, run outside and make sure no one is behind you.

I disagree, when taking on a much bigger dude, the ground is probably the only place where you could beat him, specially if you nail the td, get the mount, the dude will be totally gassed after 30 seconds of relentless trying to get you off, a regular dude wont last longer than 1 minute rolling, no matter how much adrenalin pump he has, after that, no matter how much strenght hes got on you, its useless, since he doesnt have the oxygen to move anymore, then it doesnt matter how weak you are, you are going to be able to do what ever you want to do with him (this is of course if you dont get KTFO while trying to take the guy out...)

Your talking about a 1:1 fight to me when I hear barfight I think brawl. If it's 1:1 hell yea take it to the ground. If your in a bar with a group of people going ape shit i don't want to put myself on the ground, but if it happens to get there then I would love using juijitsu. A lot can happen in 30 seconds as well especially if you are focusing on keeping a big guy on the ground.

you know what, not long ago, there was something called PRIDE, and everything you just said, was LEGAL to do, still PRO FIGHTERS (unlike you probably) were getting choked, triangle choked, arm bared, etc etc right and left... but hell, what did these guys knew about fighting??? u r the sht and bjj dont work!!!

fighting for sport and fighting to maim are different topics. ive never seen a sport fight get real brutal like that. people in the street arent there to win by points or have the ref stop the fight so you 'win', people in street fights are trying to HURT you.

Back