How do people think that jiu jitsu has no place in a street fight?

This has to be the most played out subject of all time. Jiu Jitsu is useful for street fights, but nothing is going to make you able to take on a group of people.

They analyzed youtube video fights...they took thousands of videos and analyzed how often they stayed standing, how often the went to the ground, how often they got knocked out with one punch, how often no one won etc. And after all that, that was one of the statistics..that 90% of them went to the ground at some point.

That stat pre-dates Youtube by about a decade. It was a number Roger or Royce, I forget which, pulled out of his ass to promote BJJ.

The problem is mainly sport BJJ, as everything "sport" it becomes highly specialized to play by the rules and they start becoming less versatile.

The problem i see with BJJ is

1.- No coherent strategy to take someone down, as 90% of fights end in the ground, why bothering training to take someone to the ground? the problem is when you are on the ground because someone sucker punched you and its now on top.

2.- In a real street fight, you don't want to go to the ground, a lot of bad things can happen there, you want to be standing, in case you need to run.

Again, 2 buddies fighting each other in the streets while friends watch its not "street fight" there are rules, its one vs one and it will get split when things get ugly.

Again rewatch the videos i posted and tell me how BJJ would had worked there, they are not 1 v 20 or fist vs bazooka.

That stat pre-dates Youtube by about a decade. It was a number Roger or Royce, I forget which, pulled out of his ass to promote BJJ.

I don't know about where they got it at that time, I just know that there was a youtube study about fight statistics and one of the numbers was that 90 % of the fights on youtube go to the ground.

They analyzed youtube video fights...they took thousands of videos and analyzed how often they stayed standing, how often the went to the ground, how often they got knocked out with one punch, how often no one won etc. And after all that, that was one of the statistics..that 90% of them went to the ground at some point.

This is true ...most fights do end up on the ground. Once someone grabs the other, which will happen to avoid being hit, the fighters usually fall down to the floor.

I am not saying this to brag but I have seen so many fights it is not funny not. I mean from the ones I had seen growing up in shitty areas of Los Angeles, the ones during my years in the Marine Corps, the ones I have seen on prison yards or the fights I have seen on my days working patrol on the streets. So out of all these fights I can tell you this ......most of them went to the ground people.

This based on what I have seen with my own eyes and not including the fights I have been involved in.......so be prepared because your day will come.

They were using that one back on the Gracies in Action tapes. It was probably Rorion.

I highly doubt Roger developed that number as a 10 year old.

If u have no one to back you up , don't fight.

If it ends up being a one on one just get in the clinch, take down, take back, choke. It seriously isn't that hard to beat someone who has NO IDEA what they're doing. The only guys who talk about eye gouging ect are the ones who haven't been in real situations.

The only guys who talk about eye gouging ect are the ones who haven't been in real situations.

BS.... I know if I didnt know any form of grappling and some guy was locking up on me I wouldnt just "struggle" and try and pull me arm or leg out... I'd eye gouge or start dealing hard blows to his face in order to get him to STOP locking up with me.

BS.... I know if I didnt know any form of grappling and some guy was locking up on me I wouldnt just "struggle" and try and pull me arm or leg out... I'd eye gouge or start dealing hard blows to his face in order to get him to STOP locking up with me.

Actually, when you're put in a choke you think "how do I get out" you claw at their arms to get them to loosen, you pull at their arms while going unconcious. You don't have a really rational thought when you haven't been put in the position a few hundred times before.

Actually, when you're put in a choke you think "how do I get out" you claw at their arms to get them to loosen, you pull at their arms while going unconcious. You don't have a really rational thought when you haven't been put in the position a few hundred times before.

I wouldnt let someone come around me and choke me out though lol

I was referring to, if say, someone tried to armbar me. I wouldnt try to fight my arm back or push him away etc. Id just start dealing blows to his face with my free arm, and maybe kicking/face stomping with my feet if I'm in that kind of position to do so.

By using your brain and not living around a pile of redneck hicks, or ghetto blastin' fuck heads.

Probably is.

look, rudepoodle. just because you live in your mom's basement and never go out doesn't mean everyone else does.

You never know when a fight is gonna happen.

it could happen in the school hallway. it could happen while playing galaga. it could happen if you beat me in streetfighter 2 about 17 years ago. it could be when you are at a bar drinking and trying to bag 2 girls. it could happen in an alley, it could at an intramural european handball tournament, it could happen....

Anything if used correctly could work in a fight.
Throwing triangles n shit shit might not be to great but if you were quick you could pull sum quick knee bars you could if done right get this in a matter of seconds and easily fuck the knee up - thats 1 down in a matter of seconds, then what do you think the others are gonna do when the see there mate screamin from what they percieved as "Sum Crazy Ass SHIT"

I just dont listen,people who say BJJ has no place in a street fight are ignorant.. simple. I just train,fuck the rest.

first thing i try is poop my pants. 2 reasons. 1. no one wants to be close quarters fighting with a guy that stinks like do-do. B. no one wants to get beaten by a guy that stinks like do-do.. :icon_lol:

I wouldnt let someone come around me and choke me out though lol

I was referring to, if say, someone tried to armbar me. I wouldnt try to fight my arm back or push him away etc. Id just start dealing blows to his face with my free arm, and maybe kicking/face stomping with my feet if I'm in that kind of position to do so.

Something tells me you havent been put in a whole lot of armbars. (And no, sloppy armbars from your friends when you are playing ufc dont count.)

if your a striker and don't want to go to the ground, just start taking your clothes off and acting queer, i guarantee the grappler doesn't want to take you down, er unless he is a wrestler :p

i keed i keed, settle down wrestlers :p

for all those ppl who think they can just bite, eye pocket, fish hook their way out of street fights, go watch some felony fights, and see how many of them end up because someone actually pulled some dirty shit on the other one.... and those are mother fucking nasty fights...

My grandpa says it's useless because you can just stick your thumb up the guy's ass and he'll say "whoa!" and then you get out or whatever hold you're in. He also added that it's much better to do a leaping overhand right to the nose, since, after all, he knocked a mule out with this, so all of his conveniently dead friends called him "mule kick". Also, the communists stole a friend's blueprints of a flying bicycle. The coolest story ever told, bro.

First, your grandpa sounds awesome. I would like to hang out with that guy.

Second, why mule kick? If he punched him. Why not Mule Punch?

Third, flying bicycle?...sounds plausible.

Tank Abbott said if you tried to use jiu-jitsu in a bar fight, someone would hit you in the back with a pool stick. Thats probably why.

depends. If you pulled guard... you're an idiot. But jiu jitsu also includes takedown defense, sweeps etc. Nobody wants to hit the ground in a big brawl. If you use it to keep from going down, or to sweep if tackled, then regain top position and/or stand up you're better off for it.

In a one-on-one fight, (unless you worry about another person interfering) you can take somebody out for sure.

Back