How do I make college worth it for myself?

Reverse engineered and fixed.

You'd have to sell a lot. Like, a lot.

Anyway, to the O.P.: College isn't a job ticket anymore, but everyone is looking for a few good men. You don't have to have a degree to be one of those, but it helps, no matter what your degree is in.

I'm going into 2nd year at UBC in September and I hated first year, but for different reasons. I actually enjoyed my classes and now know what I'm interested in but my social life sux. I didn't make a lot of friends, just acquaintances that I'll say hi to if I pass by. Next to my roommate, I'm pretty much going to be going back to school next semester not knowing anyone again. My roommate also doesn't know about this so it's gonna be awkward when he's gonna tell me to bring my friends over to go party the first few weeks but I won't have any lmao

Just a weird change cuz I have tons of friends at home and had tons in high school. Kinda losing touch with everyone though cuz they're still all together while I'm alone at a dif uni

I feel like a bitch after writing that

Edit: also school wise I have to declare my major soon and I'm stressing thinking bout what'd be best for me. I might just go see an advisor or something for the first time

I'm going into 2nd year at UBC in September and I hated first year, but for different reasons. I actually enjoyed my classes and now know what I'm interested in but my social life sux. I didn't make a lot of friends, just acquaintances that I'll say hi to if I pass by. Next to my roommate, I'm pretty much going to be going back to school next semester not knowing anyone again. My roommate also doesn't know about this so it's gonna be awkward when he's gonna tell me to bring my friends over to go party the first few weeks but I won't have any lmao

Just a weird change cuz I have tons of friends at home and had tons in high school. Kinda losing touch with everyone though cuz they're still all together while I'm alone at a dif uni

I feel like a bitch after writing that

You're not a bitch. Unless you are. I don't know you, but I don't think you're a bitch. But anyway, you being a bitch is completely separate from you posting that post, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

Idk... I feel like I have that same problem? Funny thing is I used to force myself to stay in the lobby of my dorm sometimes to hang out with people after I quit my job in the beginning of April, but my social life never really improved.

I think it's harder to make friends in college because in school you see your same classmates for 13 years but in college, it's different people every year.

Do as many drugs as you can get your hands on. Drop out and consider a life of crime.

Sounds to me like you've made a very common mistake... Following the "path" laid out for you by society, without ever really considering if it's what you want to be doing. I mean, you said as much yourself. You went to college because that's what people do.

My advice is to take a long hard look at what you're doing and decide if it is what really you want to be doing. Is college the right place for you now? Are you studying the right thing? Would you be better off learning a trade, going to art school, studying science/engineering/IT etc etc etc.

Basically I think you need to decide what it is that you want to be doing, something you'd do for free... and do that. Do it for free, if you have to. Do it for long enough, get good enough at it, that people will pay you to do.

It's much easier said than done... and the hardest part is finding that thing you want to do in the first place.

I was lucky, I found it when I was 15 (I'm an actor), but I know plenty of people in thier 30s who've yet to find it.

If you find what it is that is able to drive you, something you're passionate about or really enjoy, then you've got a goal to work towards. IMO, it doesn't matter how ridiculous or far fetched the goal is, if you work towards it, there's a chance it could happen. There's also a chance that you'll be poor for a long time, and that's something to factor in too. Some people are happy working a job that isn't their passion if it provides comfort and lots of money.

Me, I'd prefer to do something I love, so it very rarely feels like "work".

You've only got one life, and you're going to spend a LOT of it at "work". IMO, you're fucking crazy if you're willing to spend your entire life doing something you don't like, just for some money.

There is no point traveling the path your on if it's not the path you want.

Aaaaaaaand that's enough cliches from me.

You're not a bitch. Unless you are. I don't know you, but I don't think you're a bitch. But anyway, you being a bitch is completely separate from you posting that post, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

Idk... I feel like I have that same problem? Funny thing is I used to force myself to stay in the lobby of my dorm sometimes to hang out with people after I quit my job in the beginning of April, but my social life never really improved.

Ya living on campus sucked for me. I was in a different type of house where me and one guy shared a washroom but had our own rooms on either side of it. The first few weeks there were a bunch of activities to get to know your floormates/roommates but my roommate showed up a month late so I didn't even go to the stuff after the first one. I went the whole year without knowing anyone on my floor lol

I also only went to 1 party the whole year. Didn't like it so I just never tried again. I remember not believing the "you'll miss high school once you get into uni" stuff but man do I want to go back.. I feel like uni's just fucking with my mood, personality and everything

Next semester I'm going to make more of an effort and try to join a club or two. I've been looking but I haven't found any that caught my eye yet.

And maybe you should try to see an academic adviser too? I haven't gone yet but I'm sure they can somewhat help out

Where I live, College refers to residential halls (dorms). I heard in the UK, thy refer to college as the 2nd part of high school and in the US it's University.

Are you Jaded TS and Mad Villain?

People my age talk about stupid shit and I just sit there and nod, "yeah", "hmmmm".

Should ask people if they Sherdog.

Meeting girls, partying, and living an actual life and enjoying yourself while studying is the best way to go. Jesus, stop being so down and find some friends and women. The rest will sort itself out. Sell drugs if you must.

Or not, really, it's up to you.

Ya living on campus sucked for me. I was in a different type of house where me and one guy shared a washroom but had our own rooms on either side of it. The first few weeks there were a bunch of activities to get to know your floormates/roommates but my roommate showed up a month late so I didn't even go to the stuff after the first one. I went the whole year without knowing anyone on my floor lol

I also only went to 1 party the whole year. Didn't like it so I just never tried again. I remember not believing the "you'll miss high school once you get into uni" stuff but man do I want to go back.. I feel like uni's just fucking with my mood, personality and everything

Next semester I'm going to make more of an effort and try to join a club or two. I've been looking but I haven't found any that caught my eye yet.

And maybe you should try to see an academic adviser too? I haven't gone yet but I'm sure they can somewhat help out

Why didn't you just go to the events by yourself. I mean, that's the whole purpose of them; to get to know people.

Anyways, I went to UBC and had a great time. Go to the Pit, meet some girls. Go to a few rush parties, get to know some guys, don't join (or join if you want) but make friends and go to some of the frat parties. They're not as good as they used to be, but they're still fun as fuck. And the pit...serious, get down there on a Wednesday. Meet people, have fun, fuck girls...and do most of your school work.

I don't feel like I learned much in college that I couldn't have just learned on my own... or had already learned in HS (like basic math, science, grammar, etc)... but many good jobs in my field require a degree, so the piece of paper you get has a lot of value... and for me... college was a lot of really good times. I am VERY successful career wise... but with so many work/family/house/etc obligations related to my time/money, I really miss all the good times and relative freedom that I enjoyed back then.

alright I was harsh with my above post, but you do need to change your mindset. Refusing to go into the medical feel because you don't believe in delaying the inevitable is some serious Jayden Smith pseudo-philosophical reasoning right there.

But I attribute that to you trying to carve out your own sense of self; your identity. It's hard when you've gone through a year of university in something you're not interested in. All I can say is you can't rush the process of who you are. You might want to get some work experience under your belt to find out what aspects of work you're interested in. School will always be there. I'm 30 and I just finished my undergrad and doing a masters, but I was in the same boat as you at your age (I'm assuming you're in your early twenties) and I tried various degrees before taking a break to work and went back to school.

You seem cynical though, and you need to shake that attitude off of you because nobody likes to be around negative cynics. It's even more taxing on the self to be cynical. I don't know how you become a positive person, but you need to figure that one out. Always look for the silver lining in things no matter how negative things appear. It's the only way.

Maybe, since you can't enjoy the social benefits of college, you should consider pursuing an online degree. Or, maybe you need college to learn how to socialize. Seriously, college - for many who choose that path - is about as good as life gets. Shit gets real after that.

Have you looked into any of the clubs and groups on campus? If you are having trouble meeting people, they are a great way to find people with similar interests. And if you make sure that it's a coed club, you'll have the benefit of meeting more girls on campus.

As far as school work goes, I recommend going into something more scientific if you are so inclined. It will open plenty of doors and you don't seem dead set on a specific thing, so its a worthwhile pursuit regardless of where you end up in life.

And I know that a lot of schools are pushing students towards paid internships. It generally results in a more valuable experience and removes some of the burden. Internships are important either way. It'll give you a sense of different professional environments and lead to networking opportunities, references and resume experience. All of them are necessary to give you a leg up in the current market.

When I was I college I worked at a convenience store on campus. On weekends id usually be the only guy there for a few hours, and I'd make a point to push a safety pin through all the boxes of condoms. That made it all seem worthwhile.

Junior year, you'll start taking upper division classes which are better. Also, either major in business management or you'll end up in sales, a job in which you'll be exploiting people. Or change your major to something more math/science oriented. Having that on your resume shows employers you didn't just go to college to have fun and get a piece of paper saying you went.

lol wut?

I had some sympathy in your OP but your family is right, you ARE a whiner

Yeah... I mean, I'm just trying to get some perspective on my life. If everybody came in here and told me I was a whiner, I'd be able to accept that and change my attitude.

It's not that I don't believe in hospitals or stuff like that, but I just wouldn't want to be a doctor because I feel like I would be miserable doing that just because that's how I would see my job. Plus, if I switch back to the college of arts and sciences, I have to take a foreign language class again and that class is actually what made me start questioning why I'm in college. Plus, science majors have a shit time of it in my opinion. I have to be enrolled in 15 hours because of my scholarship, and with a 1 hour lab that accompanies each class, I just couldn't do it. Then I have to make a 3.6 to get into medical school, which means I would have to bust my ass to get my GPA up from a 3.1... I just see a lot of problems with trying to do anything like that.

EDIT:
You seem cynical though, and you need to shake that attitude off of you because nobody likes to be around negative cynics. It's even more taxing on the self to be cynical. I don't know how you become a positive person, but you need to figure that one out. Always look for the silver lining in things no matter how negative things appear. It's the only way.

I like to think I was a positive person before going to college. I don't want to be cynical, but I feel like if I'm not cynical and always overanalyzing how something can go bad for me, I'm going to end up being used again.

Junior year, you'll start taking upper division classes which are better. Also, either major in business management or you'll end up in sales, a job in which you'll be exploiting people. Or change your major to something more math/science oriented. Having that on your resume shows employers you didn't just go to college to have fun and get a piece of paper saying you went.

Honestly, I'm ok with being in sales. Better to be the hunter than the prey.

Back