How do I make college worth it for myself?

td82394

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm now officially a sophomore at UNT in Denton and so far I have found college to be one of the worst experiences of my life so far. I have met very few people who haven't tried to exploit me for their own personal gain and I feel as if I didn't even learn that much my first year anyway because they cram so many god damn bullsh*t prereqs down your throat that have almost nothing to do with your major. I mean, I guess I could get internships, but since I'm pretty much getting by on government loans and grants anyway, I can't really afford to basically have a job where I don't get paid anything.

At first I wanted to be a history teacher, but I changed my majors because for one, I had to take two years of a foreign language and the first year dragged my overall GPA to a 3.0 because I had to spend so much time studying French to even make a B in that class, and secondly I decided that it really wasn't worth it to me to even be doing all that nonsense. So now I'm in pre-business but I don't even know if I'll be able to get a job with any of these degrees. A 'decision science' major? An 'entrepreneurship' major?

http://www.unt.edu/majors/ugnbu.htm

Idk... my family thinks I'm just whining and maybe they're right, but I seriously hate where I'm going right now and where I am in my life and I think most of it can be attributed to my decision to go to college. And even then, I say it was 'my decision', but I made that decision because other people told me it was what I wanted to do and I never even thought about it before doing it.

I don't know, if I can't get a job where I'm making a lot of money, I don't even know what the point of being here is. And from what I've read on here, I might not even be able to get a job.

Sell weed

Even if that's a joke, that actually sounds like a viable solution to my whole 'can't work at an internship because I at least need minimum wage to pay rent' problem. Only problem I would see is that my family would tell me 'I'm becoming just like my Dad' and that I would probably get caught and get kicked out of school because the RAs do safety checks at ungodly hours of the night.

So I'm probably not going to do that.

I feel you man, I felt the same way in school when I was your age. If you're dead set on getting a degree as soon as possible, put your head down, grit your teeth, and grind it out. I plan on going back to school but for now I'm doing hard labor, neither one is a ton of fun, just trust yourself on what you want out of your life right now. School may not be the place for you now and you may burn out permanently if you don't feel you belong there.

On the bright side, enrolling in a business program might desensitize you to people exploiting you for personal gain.

That or you'll go on a rampage.

On the bright side, enrolling in a business program might desensitize you to people exploiting you for personal gain.

That or you'll go on a rampage.

Hahaha yeah... I imagine at least in a boardroom nobody's trying to do it underhandedly. It's not like "hey, I'm going to pretend to be your friend, but only because if we get enough people to memorize the greek alphabet and pay $550 a semester we can get a nice house on greek row" or "hey, let me stay at your dorm for a day. Actually, scratch that, can I stay for a week? Also, do you mind if I steal your identity and buy a car?".

I feel you man, I felt the same way in school when I was your age. If you're dead set on getting a degree as soon as possible, put your head down, grit your teeth, and grind it out. I plan on going back to school but for now I'm doing hard labor, neither one is a ton of fun, just trust yourself on what you want out of your life right now. School may not be the place for you now and you may burn out permanently if you don't feel you belong there.

Hey Slick, haven't seen you in a while. How's it hanging?

I'm now officially a sophomore at UNT in Denton and so far I have found college to be one of the worst experiences of my life so far. I have met very few people who haven't tried to exploit me for their own personal gain and I feel as if I didn't even learn that much my first year anyway because they cram so many god damn bullsh*t prereqs down your throat that have almost nothing to do with your major. I mean, I guess I could get internships, but since I'm pretty much getting by on government loans and grants anyway, I can't really afford to basically have a job where I don't get paid anything.

At first I wanted to be a history teacher, but I changed my majors because for one, I had to take two years of a foreign language and the first year dragged my overall GPA to a 3.0 because I had to spend so much time studying French to even make a B in that class, and secondly I decided that it really wasn't worth it to me to even be doing all that nonsense. So now I'm in pre-business but I don't even know if I'll be able to get a job with any of these degrees. A 'decision science' major? An 'entrepreneurship' major?

Idk... my family thinks I'm just whining and maybe they're right, but I seriously hate where I'm going right now and where I am in my life and I think most of it can be attributed to my decision to go to college. And even then, I say it was 'my decision', but I made that decision because other people told me it was what I wanted to do and I never even thought about it before doing it.

I don't know, if I can't get a job where I'm making a lot of money, I don't even know what the point of being here is. And from what I've read on here, I might not even be able to get a job.

You ever take a personality test? You might be an INTP. If you are, I would suggest you major in something that you consider one of your "causes," because you are probably the type of person who can't get behind something you don't deeply feel is worth it.

Remember that it's your life. Study something you enjoy, do something you enjoy. You may not make bank, but your life will probably be more fulfilling.

Move to Europe where education is free.
In America you have to sell your soul for a worthless piece of paper.

nobody likes to feel like they don't know what direction they're heading in. all i can offer is a little sympathy.

try to enjoy yourself. its easier to think more clear when you aren't stressed

Short answer: make friends, have lots of sex, create new experiences, pass.

Have you thought about learning a trade? Something that's in demand, not outsourceable and that allows you to be your own boss?

Get a job at a well-respected company that treats their employees with respect and study whatever is needed from college to move up in the company.

You ever take a personality test? You might be an INTP. If you are, I would suggest you major in something that you consider one of your "causes," because you are probably the type of person who can't get behind something you don't deeply feel is worth it.

Remember that it's your life. Study something you enjoy, do something you enjoy. You may not make bank, but your life will probably be more fulfilling.

I don't have any causes. I used to when I thought that causes were worth having and not just so that charlatans can take advantage of you. I guess "making bank" is my new cause.

EDIT: I looked up "INTP personality". I'm flattered that you're comparing me to Einstein and Dwight D. Eisenhower and a lot of it seems to match me, but I don't consider myself much of a science-y type and I think it's too easy to attach vague, cookie-cutter descriptions to yourself and say 'this is who I am' because you probably have a skewed idea of who and what you are.

Last edited:
Have you thought about learning a trade? Something that's in demand, not outsourceable and that allows you to be your own boss?

My algrebra teacher told me I should look into CNC. Sounded good at the time, but I never took it seriously.

Then history teacher probably isn't the way to go. Make dat paper!

I was in the same situation. What worked for me was sucking it up and switching to hard science major. Opens a lot of doors and you actually feel your learning something you'd have a hard time learning elsewhere

Back