How do I make college worth it for myself?

Economics won't teach you a damn thing that's useful about analyzing data in the real world, other than perhaps some statistical methods. IS would be much more useful. I'd hire a CS major over an econ major in a second as a data analyst. Now, if you get into econometrics at the post-grad level, you might be useful as a data scientist. But you'd still have a lot of catching up to do on the systems side.

Are those statistical methods important enough to consider maybe minoring in economics?

Are those statistical methods important enough to consider maybe minoring in economics?

Yes...

or just minor in statistics.

If you just want a degree where you're almost guaranteed a job, computer science is a decent choice. Lots of demand, and frankly it's easier than most engineering fields. Again though, you should really figure out what you like doing before committing to something. If nothing else take a bunch of intro courses in various departments. I rip econ but at least it gives you some quantitative skills, so take econ 101, CS 101, some intro science, stats, math classes, maybe even Education or public administration (or whatever the equivalent public service degree is where you're in school).

Learn an actual skill. My wife is an adjunct history professor, its crappy. I have a b.a. in business admin. mainly because of my dad. Im not passionate about it. I went back n got a b.s. in graphic/web design. Couldn't find a job that pays enough. Now im a 33 year old brick mason who is back in college for engineering.

I have a lot of interest. I also fucking looooooove college.

Back