How do I avoid getting sprawled when I shoot?

Like everyone has said, set-ups are HUGE.

Sprawling is A LOT easier than shooting. It takes a huge skill advantage to just blast and take a guy down. Usually if the guys are anywhere near the similar skill level, defense is way easier.

I also find that you're gonna have to shoot repeatedly a lot of times. Sometimes you'll get a leg but you won't have a deep grip, you shoot again and now you have both legs, but still only have a grip with your hands not your biceps, stand up and blam shoot one more time get the grips deeper lock your hands and drive for the takedown.

I'm no wrestler but when watching great wrestlers I notice that they shoot and re-shoot A LOT.

I Love it a post dealing with control and tie ups!

This is the win!
If you take them off their "base" or "stance" or whatever you would like to call it sometimes the takedowns just appear. It's amazing the subtle situations that can present themselves when you establish control.

My youngest brother was very good at getting in on double under hooks and then he used his head to aggravate his opponent.
Do you know that maybe 50% or more of his opponents tried a headthrow from that?
Well soon he knew to expect the head throw and would duck it perfectly for easy takedowns.

Glad you enjoyed the post.

I was really big on being the first one to establish control.
I loved it when they tried to headthrow me. 70% of the time they commited so much to the throw if felt like I had to catch them (which I didn't. That's easy points right there that I'm not going to waste).

The head control was something I used a lot because when I combined it with a russian 2 on 1 there were options no matter what he tried to do. And, when the guys got frustrated sure they became ridiculously strong because they couldn't stand the pressure in behind their jaw but it made them so vulnerable to simple things like trips they otherwise would have defended or even countered.

That front head and arm was my personal favorite because I could keep dragging them back down and it expended little to no energy on my part. Then I spin to their backs get my points, break them down, roll them over for the pin, if they escaped I moved back to the front headlock and repeated from step 1 (drag them down) until I pinned them or the period ended.
and again. I'm glad you liked the post

if I still have that 2on1 they are getting some frequent flyer miles

YES. You sir are win.

The shoulder throw was two of my friends personal favorites (the wrestling version of the "drop" soei nage or however you spell it)
The lateral toss is my go to move. But sometimes I would go for the fireman's carry during which people pretty much catapulted themselves.
But, if somebody charged me I always circled away and took control of the center so I could aggravate them even more :).

Thanks guys. Now I have an idea about what my problem is and how to fix it.

YES. You sir are win.

The shoulder throw was two of my friends personal favorites (the wrestling version of the "drop" soei nage or however you spell it)
The lateral toss is my go to move. But sometimes I would go for the fireman's carry during which people pretty much catapulted themselves.
But, if somebody charged me I always circled away and took control of the center so I could aggravate them even more :).

haha... thanks brother. my go to throw from there is actually the lateral drop with just the 2on1 grip, or even the one arm fireman's style when you duck under and like you said they just catapult themselves. and it's awesome. :D

Back