How do I avoid getting sprawled when I shoot?

I think it's more about the setup and the angle than the speed.

You can't just shoot in straight ahead when your opponent is on-balance and not commited to anything. He'll sprawl on you every time. You have to off-balance him, make him commit his weight in one direction or another, and shoot in from an angle so he can't just sprawl on top of you.

YouTube - ‪Two-on-One Combinations - Part 1‬‎

Get good at this series and watch your td% skyrocket!

my 2on1 post count is at 25 since I told you I was going to start keeping track of it a few months ago. :icon_chee
excellent.jpg

pt 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
for gi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

My instructor teaches a similar technique (similar to the first one in the video) from the russian 2 on 1, except he uses it more as an armlock. Pretty cool move, and dangerous to train if you go full resistance/speed. I guess it's because he learned most of his wrestling from a Russian coach and it was mostly Greco.

I think it's a pretty safe set up, unless you do that herky jerky thing that Aoki likes to do, but that's true of any overhook. My wrestling coach was the US olympic greco coach, and he loved this set up. But yep, the Russians definitely have this one down. There are just TOOO many things you can do with it, and it's all upside for you if you have it, defensively and offensively, pretty much.

I leeerve the 2on1.

I need to practice oh so much of everything in this thread!

Check out my sig, lots of good videos.

Like others have said it's all about timing. You are probably telegraphing your shot.

You have to make your opponent move from one side to another and then shoot when he steps so you catch him flat.

Also work on your peak out, faking one shot to set up another.

You can't really explain wrestling you have to be shown it and feel it.

US Freestyle Coach and and Former FILA Master of Technique Zeke Jones

And since your basically a fast HWT try out the Footsweep and the Russian

One thing I might mention, most are generally treating it like if you botch the shot, it's game over. You can re-shoot, switch off to a single, or numerous other finishes while on the mat. Look at Ben Askren. That guy has a terrible shot for the level of wrestler he is (I mean he doesn't have that shot-out-of-a-cannon explosiveness like a Koscheck), he gets in deep enough and finishes from the scramble/on the mat.

Aside from the advice everyone else gave (i.e. turning the corner, driving) I think one of two things might be happening:

A) You are shooting from a far. Get in closer! Dont shoot if you are more than an arm;s length away.

B) You are leaning in with your upperbody as you shoot in a diagonal fashion which would be clearly telegraphing the shot to your opponent. You must change levels!

collar tie, wrist tie, circle away from the wrist tie, his leg will come foreward, snatch the leg with "collar tie" hand, gable grip leg, finish TD however you like.

wow skey, i just watched 1-5 of the Shultz videos. GOLD. thanks man. I swear I felt like I was in the room. except I was able to rewind and pause shit, lol.

now i'm just stuck on these. I've seen a couple of the mocco onces before I think, but that's it. gold man.

aaargh dude... part 6 isn't posted on youtube. he was talking about how important this specific position was and then, boom. it's over. lol.

to ts, the answer to your question, is in those videos. shoulder strap the leg. don't try to hold the leg and sacrifice position. if he drops, drop with him and turn the corner, but don't let him great space. he even covers what to do in that flattened out sprawl position that everyone dreads. thanks a ton skey.

Set ups is the difference between a decent wrestlers and a champion

do not shoot from outside

make sure you are touching them and offbalancing them when you shoot. every good shot is set up first.

See, here's the thing. I'm a high school wrestler and I wrestle at the 215 weight class even though I usually go in at the very most 211. So usually I have a speed advantage, and sometimes a strength advantage, I usually have a size disadvantage, and when I wrestle I take advantage of my opponent's size advantage and speed disadvantage by sprawling and circling around to get points. When I shoot, though, I usually fall victim to the trap I usually lay because everyone's really good at protecting their legs. So what do I do? I can dominate at 215 on a good day, but I wanna' expand my skill set so that the good days come more often. Everyone tells me my shots are fast, but my opponents seem to just sprawl them so easily.

P.S., if anyone has any collar tie advice, that would be welcome, too.

P.S.S., I'm enrolling in Judo, which would be good for me I think cuz I'm greco-roman. Would that help?

I had the EXACT same problem as you when I wrestled.
Hell, I had to 100-check the username to be sure I didn't write this.
My advice.
Don't shoot in 90% of the time. Try to work trips, pummel in.
What worked for me was a going into the head tie getting inside control (my arm inside on their tricep) shaking them around a bit. Get a 2 on 1 and abuse the head control (drive your forehead into right behind their chin underneath the ear). That made them commit to trying to get their head back into the center.
When they did that I tied back up, head snap til they exposed themselves to the front head and arm (front headlock). Grab it and drag them down to the ground with it. Spin, get your point and work from there.
Sometimes with the driving head into the chin it pisses them off and they might start to charge you. If they do that then it's an easy double leg.
If need be I could post a video (i would have to make it first) to clarify things up.

Last edited:
Aside from the advice everyone else gave (i.e. turning the corner, driving) I think one of two things might be happening:

A) You are shooting from a far. Get in closer! Dont shoot if you are more than an arm;s length away.

B) You are leaning in with your upperbody as you shoot in a diagonal fashion which would be clearly telegraphing the shot to your opponent. You must change levels!

A. I always say if you can't get your penetration foot inbetween thier legs on a double you are to far away. Inbetween the legs is the attack zone.

[wow skey, i just watched 1-5 of the Shultz videos. GOLD. thanks man. I swear I felt like I was in the room. except I was able to rewind and pause shit, lol.

now i'm just stuck on these. I've seen a couple of the mocco onces before I think, but that's it. gold man.
/QUOTE]

Schultz is the man, pinned his way through Tbilisi when it was harder than the Olympics.
Those broken links keep popping up, I try and re link them when I have time.

Check out the Bonomo ones.

I had the EXACT same problem as you when I wrestled.
Hell, I had to 100-check the username to be sure I didn't write this.
My advice.
Don't shoot in 90% of the time. Try to work trips, pummel in.
What worked for me was a going into the head tie getting inside control (my arm inside on their tricep) shaking them around a bit. Get a 2 on 1 and abuse the head control (drive your forehead into right behind their chin underneath the ear). That made them commit to trying to get their head back into the center.
When they did that I tied back up, head snap til they exposed themselves to the front head and arm (front headlock). Grab it and drag them down to the ground with it. Spin, get your point and work from there.
Sometimes with the driving head into the chin it pisses them off and they might start to charge you. If they do that then it's an easy double leg.
I Love it a post dealing with control and tie ups!

This is the win!
If you take them off their "base" or "stance" or whatever you would like to call it sometimes the takedowns just appear. It's amazing the subtle situations that can present themselves when you establish control.

My youngest brother was very good at getting in on double under hooks and then he used his head to aggravate his opponent.
Do you know that maybe 50% or more of his opponents tried a headthrow from that?
Well soon he knew to expect the head throw and would duck it perfectly for easy takedowns.

if I still have that 2on1 they are getting some frequent flyer miles

Set up the shots rather then shooting in from the outside, cut the corner and DRIIIIVEEEEE

Back