How do I avoid getting sprawled when I shoot?

td82394

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
See, here's the thing. I'm a high school wrestler and I wrestle at the 215 weight class even though I usually go in at the very most 211. So usually I have a speed advantage, and sometimes a strength advantage, I usually have a size disadvantage, and when I wrestle I take advantage of my opponent's size advantage and speed disadvantage by sprawling and circling around to get points. When I shoot, though, I usually fall victim to the trap I usually lay because everyone's really good at protecting their legs. So what do I do? I can dominate at 215 on a good day, but I wanna' expand my skill set so that the good days come more often. Everyone tells me my shots are fast, but my opponents seem to just sprawl them so easily.

P.S., if anyone has any collar tie advice, that would be welcome, too.

P.S.S., I'm enrolling in Judo, which would be good for me I think cuz I'm greco-roman. Would that help?

Turn the corner and keep on drivin'

Note: This is coming from my limited wrestling experience!

Ok, kind of all over the place here.

If you're doing greco, then how are shots and sprawls coming into play.

In general, the solution needs to be either working on the mechanics and angle of your shot (I can't see you so I don't know if you're doing it right), and to work on developing a few good set-ups (so by the time he sprawls it's too late). Other options might be turning the corner on the shot, or switching off from a double to a single if he sprawls. And then depending on how he sprawls there's a whole bunch of things you can do. You're asking a big question.

sounds like you might have to work on your shot more. if its done right you shouldnt end up on bottom too often unless the other person is really good. Clinch just drop your head a little and pop there arm up over your head while holding there shoulder gets in a tight squeeze standing then just take down from back

Set up your shots. Tap and go is okay if you're a killer at finishing, if not, set it up and get him off balance so you can shoot from an angle. also, keynote is right on. getting the leg is 1/10 of the job. turning the corner, driving and finishing are the other 9/10.

Keep practicing?

sounds like you're fairly new to wrestling. technique, set ups, angles, and do not give up just because he sprawls reshoot change angles do whatever you have to do. You have to work for takedowns

No it's been proven that freestyle wrestling (which I think you're participating in already) is more beneficial to someone transferring to Judo. For Newaza (groundwork) especially because you already know about pins.

If you're working a collar tie a lot my favorite set up for a double was to keep snapping the collar tie and after the 3rd or 4th snap shoot immediately afterwords.

Hopefully his posture will be fairly upright which should ease the process.

Improve your speed man, obviously technique is the biggest factor but your shooting speed is very helpful as it catches your opponent off guard.

Set up your shots. Tap and go is okay if you're a killer at finishing, if not, set it up and get him off balance so you can shoot from an angle. also, keynote is right on. getting the leg is 1/10 of the job. turning the corner, driving and finishing are the other 9/10.

This is the best response I have, by a wide margin. Remeber when Bisping shot on Dan, and Dan laughed at him? The mechanics of the shot were not that bad, there was absolutely no set up. Work your angles and movement to make him give you a leg. Move your opponent around and figure out what makes him give you a leg, then work a different angle and go back to the original movement and capitalise on what you made him give you.

Ok, kind of all over the place here.

If you're doing greco, then how are shots and sprawls coming into play.

In general, the solution needs to be either working on the mechanics and angle of your shot (I can't see you so I don't know if you're doing it right), and to work on developing a few good set-ups (so by the time he sprawls it's too late). Other options might be turning the corner on the shot, or switching off from a double to a single if he sprawls. And then depending on how he sprawls there's a whole bunch of things you can do. You're asking a big question.

sounds like you're fairly new to wrestling. technique, set ups, angles, and do not give up just because he sprawls reshoot change angles do whatever you have to do. You have to work for takedowns

All good posts. I will be back later to chime in on tie ups...I am surprised Fourff has not yet.. :)

Fakes.
Angles.
Movement.
Footwork.
Repetition in practice/Drilling.

Such a general question, there's so many different things to do. Your opponents are reading your shots, you have to be either really fast, take them by surprise, re-setup your takedowns, or keep going/turn that corner. Not everyone is Stephen Abas.

Do you know any underhook series takedowns? Because it sounds like you're just diving in like a bat out of hell, noone's gonna fall for that. In an MMA context, you need to set up your shots with strikes, from the clinch, or against the fence. Make sure you get a deep level change, with a straight back and your head pressed against them. If you can get deep on their legs with good posture, then finishing should only be a formality. Their are several different finishes for doubles & singles, I personally prefer the chop- double (which i'll detail in a second), and maybe try to sweep a leg if they're sprawling well/ resisting real hard. As for singles, I have trouble running the pipe, so I like to elevate their leg & sweep a foot.

The chop double is simple- assuming that you've set it up well, maybe changing levels from double underhooks, maybe from an arm drag, once you're deep on their hips, hands right behind their knees, pressing your head in them to avoid the guillotine/ crossface, you simply kick out in the opposite side from your head & pull their legs from under them, in a simultaneous motion.

Shots come into play cuz my coach won't teach us clinch stuff. He teaches us to avoid it. And yes, I am fairly new. I'm going into my second season come october or november.

YouTube - ‪Two-on-One Combinations - Part 1‬‎

Get good at this series and watch your td% skyrocket!

My instructor teaches a similar technique (similar to the first one in the video) from the russian 2 on 1, except he uses it more as an armlock. Pretty cool move, and dangerous to train if you go full resistance/speed. I guess it's because he learned most of his wrestling from a Russian coach and it was mostly Greco.

Great instruction in there, quality video.

Last edited:
The original post if full of fail. You good but not that good, you come in under weight yet have a size/strength advantage. You have a great shot but you do Greco.

Back