How did they not stop the fight the sec Roxeanne got slammed?

In MMA or boxing, any time a fighter tries to stand up and falls over because they can't, the fight is stopped immediately. This ref had to wait for Roxy to get blasted a bunch more times before he stepped in.
If you don't watch boxing, you shouldn't reference it in an argument. It is normal for a fighter to be allowed to continue even if he falls over once during a 10 count.

Yes, that fight should have been stopped three punches early.
I wouldn't have blamed him if he stopped it from the slam. She was clearly loopy, and the other fighter thought it was going to be stopped also. She was walking away.

Chris Tosgini or something was his name. Something with a T I think. He has reffed a bit, and if I remember correctly, he has always been very hesitant to take away a point.

But he hadn't let a fight go like that before. I could remember incorrectly, or not remember at all.

Maybe not after the slam, but definitely after the punch to the head as she was first trying to get up, that laid her right out.

Anyway, good effort on Roxy's part, and holy crap, get better refs. Like Winslow, even.

It definitely seemed like the ref let her take some unnecessary punishment. I agree though, not the slam, but the next punch was the right time IMO. Pretty depressing to see.

I caught it right away that she was stunned too after the slam. Even disregarding that it should have been stopped immediately after the first follow-up strike. I got the feeling that Jessica thought it was going to be stopped too and was trying to take it easy on her afterwards.

I guess we're all human but the ref should definitely try to learn from the mistake.

I wouldn't have blamed him if he stopped it from the slam. She was clearly loopy, and the other fighter thought it was going to be stopped also. She was walking away.

Chris Tosgini or something was his name. Something with a T I think. He has reffed a bit, and if I remember correctly, he has always been very hesitant to take away a point.

But he hadn't let a fight go like that before. I could remember incorrectly, or not remember at all.
I know it is douchey to self quote, but the Ref's name is Chris Tognoni.

Guy has made some questionable calls, but there is very little talk about him. The only thing I was able to turn up was one article talking about his questionable reffing during the Gonzaga/Browne fight. And one talking about how he would be one of the five refs for UFC 117.

Here is the only picture I found of him, but it is the first result when you search his name in Google images.

2721746574_3294978765.jpg

She wasn't unconscious. She could have tapped or verbally quit if she wanted to.

It was so obvious Roxanne was done, she could barely stand.

The ref made two mistakes, one was not noticing Roxanne was done. The second was stopping the fight to tell the other fighter to not touch the fence, the ref should have screamed: "Stop holding the fence or I'm grabbing a point". There was litterally no need to kill the momentum at that moment.
I hate that shit because the restart position is never enough to compensate for the stopped momentum. Only stop the fight if you're going to take a point.

I thought she verbally quit and the ref didn't notice it. When a fighter is out, regains and then is knocked out like that, it's very bad for the fighter's health.

I was reading Modafferi's blog and found this interesting and worth sharing in this thread:

"I started looking sloppy in the fight, and I’m really disappointed in that. I want to show just as solid and crisp technique as any other UFC fighter. At least I kept fighting until I literally couldn’t stand anymore. I’m grateful for the ref for giving me every chance to continue to fight.

Thanks to all of you for being supportive of me and nice. Some people say that I’m too nice and past my prime and I should quit. Well, I’m not ready to quit yet. I just joined a new team, and I’m determined to get back into the cage at a higher level than I was before."

http://roxannemodafferi.net/RBlog/2013/09/26/watching-my-tuf-fight/

Roxanne makes lots of posters in this thread seem like wimps.

She got slammed by a woman with a 1-3-1 record. Time to retire.

I just watched the ep and came here to make sure I wasn't the only one that thought the ref was a complete IDIOT for not stopping the fight then and there. Very poor reffing there, it was sooo obvious she was out and done.

The ref isn't supposed to solely wait for her to be totally unconscious, some of you don't seem to get that. They are supposed to stop the fight when they can no longer defend themselves. Being unconscious is just the most obvious reason to stop the fight, but there was no reason to let that fight continue after that slam watching the way Roxanne reacted.

What is interesting there is that Rakoczy actually has more boxing matches under her belt then her Boxrec page shows. There are some clips of at least two of those extra bouts on YouTube. I posted two rounds of one of them in the Rakoczy = Darkhorse thread.*** As I understand it her actual boxing record is 36-3* with 12KOs** but I have not found a resource that will confirm that information.

* ProboxingInsider told me her complete record.

** Last I saw her Boxrec showed 11KOs but now see 12KOs.

*** I see the Boxrec has one of those fights mentioned now. Hrm. I ought to always double check the sources but I knew that had not been listed before. Odd. (Edit. I remember now. There are a few different resources for boxing and I was thinking of one that had her at 31-3 reference to those two fights on YouTube.)

Last edited:
Back