How Did Miocic Go From Losing To Struve To Being Good?

It was a combination of Stipe getting poked, slipping and gassing (his own fault) and Struve taking advantage of that.

And Stipe has improved a lot of learned from that loss. He has better cardio now and his technique and footwork seem better as well.

He'd KO Struve in a rematch IMO.

You think Struve is to Stipe as Schilt was to Kharitonov? Are you serious? Stipe has never shown his ground game much where as Struve has shown to have a dangerous guard and good GnP from the top. Struve's GG > Stipe's GG and Kharitonov's GG was and still is > Schilt's.

SDR was a kickboxer who didn't have a good GG Sitpe beating him up on the ground doesn't mean much when it comes to Struve, and Hunt's GG is very underrated, other than McCorkle and his debut all the guys that submitted him have better submissions than Struve.

I wasnt talking at all about Schilt and Karitonov. Im saying I think Stipe absolutely has a better ground game than Stefan Struve. A college wrestler who likes to finish on the ground imo is superior to what Struve has shown. Struve's best submission wins are Pat Barry and Lavar Johnson. I do not think hunt is as good as you do and he did massive damage to Struve on the ground. Im not sure he responds well to aggression which is exactly what Stipe does on the ground and hes got the wrestling to back it up.

Was a bad day. Thats all. He has shown he is so much better than that.

I must admit that I completely wrote him off after he lost to Struve. Struve seems like a barometer of whether you belong in the UFC or not. You beat him, you can stay. You lose to him and you're probably not lasting too long. Yet, somehow Miocic went from losing by TKO of all things to Struve to racking up a decent little streak for himself.

Struve is a good fighter. Even the better fighter can lose to a lesser fight though on any given night.

Some examples:

GSP vs former unranked LW Serra
Silva vs LW Takase, Azeredo, WW Chonan
Fedor vs former MW/LHW Henderson

It even happened to all time greats

I wasnt talking at all about Schilt and Karitonov. Im saying I think Stipe absolutely has a better ground game than Stefan Struve. A college wrestler who likes to finish on the ground imo is superior to what Struve has shown. Struve's best submission wins are Pat Barry and Lavar Johnson. I do not think hunt is as good as you do and he did massive damage to Struve on the ground. Im not sure he responds well to aggression which is exactly what Stipe does on the ground and hes got the wrestling to back it up.

That's what OP was talking about and what my response was about. I disagree, because I haven't seen him do anything in MMA that shows those skills against anyone with a good ground game, credentials don't always transfer to MMA.

The ground game isn't just limited to submissions, the only time i've seen Struve outgrappled was in the Hunt fight and Hunt's ground game is very underrated, he has trouble with submissions sometimes but his positioning is phenomenal, remember this is the guy that had Fedor in a submission and was in better positions on the ground when he was a novice on the ground.

I thought he held his own early before Struve turned the tide in the 2nd round. Then it looked like he got caught, slipped/was hurt and Struve is a tremendous fight finisher when he's got a dude hurt.

Yeah, didn't he get poked in the eye also?

I could be not remembering correctly, but I remember someone with a 84.5 inch reach poking someone in the eye.

Well there is someone with an 84.5 inch reach poking many people in the eyes :icon_chee

The only fighter he has beat that I consider even half decent is Roy and even then Roy has been smashed anytime he has fought a real top 10 fighter.

Back