How Did Miocic Go From Losing To Struve To Being Good?

DoUEvenLiftBro

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I must admit that I completely wrote him off after he lost to Struve. Struve seems like a barometer of whether you belong in the UFC or not. You beat him, you can stay. You lose to him and you're probably not lasting too long. Yet, somehow Miocic went from losing by TKO of all things to Struve to racking up a decent little streak for himself.

I'm guessing it was a case of learning from your loss. I haven't seen the Struve fight so idk what it looked like but i'd say he fixed his problem areas that he showed in it

Styles make fights. Struve = long reach, had to fight on the inside, got caught and finished

I picked him to win against Struve and was pretty shocked by how bad he performed that night. Maybe just not his night.

Struve was on fire that night and Miocic has improved since then.

do any of you fools remember stipe slipping majorly on the mat before taking the hard punch from struve? holy shit

Styles make fights. Struve = long reach, had to fight on the inside, got caught and finished

But pretty much everyone has fucked up Struve standing regardless of reach disadvantage. Hell, Nelson put Struve out in seconds despite the disadvantage. Miocic tuned up Nelson.

Interesting fact- Struve's only win over an opponent still in the UFC is Miocic. And it was like only fight spent standing where he was never in serious trouble.

do any of you fools remember stipe slipping majorly on the mat before taking the hard punch from struve? holy shit

It was in the second round though. Pretty much anyone worth a damn has put Struve away pretty fast or had him hurt within a few minutes on the feet. Why didn't Miocic just beat him in a minute or two?

I picked him to win against Struve and was pretty shocked by how bad he performed that night. Maybe just not his night.

I picked Struve, I didn't get the hype back then, seeing his fights I wasn't that impressed. Roy Nelson fight convinced me he could make some noise

Yeah, didn't he get poked in the eye also?

I could be not remembering correctly, but I remember someone with a 84.5 inch reach poking someone in the eye.

I haven't watched the fight since it was live but I remember it seeming like Miocic respected Struve too much and got tentative, which has seems to be the opposite of dealing with him.

I also remember a slip but I don't remember how pivotal it was.

No idea. It happens in one fight too. He looked awful vs strive and then looked amazing in the nelson fight.

I haven't watched the fight since it was live but I remember it seeming like Miocic respected Struve too much and got tentative, which has seems to be the opposite of dealing with him.

it was major

But pretty much everyone has fucked up Struve standing regardless of reach disadvantage. Hell, Nelson put Struve out in seconds despite the disadvantage. Miocic tuned up Nelson.

Interesting fact- Struve's only win over an opponent still in the UFC is Miocic. And it was like only fight spent standing where he was never in serious trouble.

Well I didn't get the hype back then and picked Struve

In hindsight it is kind of a strange loss(although Struve is hell of a fighter)

Watching the fight it would make more sense, you see him fighting a taller guy. He fights on the inside and is swinging in the pocket(which is not really his game, he uses a lot of movement). Struve caught him and finished him with a flurry

Also he gassed out really fast for whatever reason

But it's a case of styles make fights like I said

Last edited:
Well I didn't get the hype back then and picked Struve

In hindsight it is kind of a strange loss(althought Struve is hell of a fighter)

Watching the fight it would make more sense, you see him fighting a taller guy. He fights on the inside and is swinging in the pocket(which is not really his game, he uses a lot of movement). Struve caught him and finished him with a flurry

Also he gassed out really fast for whatever reason

wow so weird he slipped and took a fat punch and gassed wow omg wow

He rocked him a couple times in the first and didn't swarm for the finish. But also he gassed out really fast for some reason

he got poked in the eye, sliped, and while he was tring to blindly keep up the balance, he got bombed.

Thats how he lost.

Doesent have anything to do with styles, but bad luck

Because styles make fights. Stipe played tit for tat against Struve, he didn't rush him like JDS and Morecraft or throw a haymaker like Nelson.

Because styles make fights. Stipe played tit for tat against Struve, he didn't rush him like JDS and Morecraft or throw a haymaker like Nelson.

dude he was poked in the eye, and slipped, has nothing to do with styles

Back