How did Israel go from almost losing to Vettori to beating Gastelum?

Gastelum had a large reach disadvantage that plagued him throughout the fight.

Come on, let's be honest, Whitaker is going to nuke him.

He's good. Not excellent. Kelvin's grappling is actually best in uscrambles.

Adesanya stuffing Brunson was a lot more impressive. He's a worse overall fighter than Kelvin, but a much better MMA wrestler.
seeing as Brunson outwrestled Yoel Romero for 2 rounds, this is true.

1. He has improved.

2. He is an overrated champ who beat a very likeable but overrated fighter in a rather weak division.

A division so weak that multiple fringe contenders moved up and became elite level LHWs.

If you don't think that Israel and Kelvin's stocks both went up after that fight, then you're not a real fan of this sport.

Gastelum had a large reach disadvantage that plagued him throughout the fight.

Come on, let's be honest, Whitaker is going to nuke him.
Whittaker isn't taking the shots Gastelum did and we have no idea how much surgeries and 50 minutes with Yoel Romero have affected him.

I disagree.

Well, you don't know how to break down fights.

List me Kelvin's impressive wrestling performances in the UFC. There aren't any.

He's been outwrestled by pretty much every other fighter with a wrestling background that he's fought. He won fights against guys like Kennedy and Jacare, who took him down easily in the first round, because he broke them after they gassed.

Oh shit i didnt even know that lmao. Also Vettori didnt come "close" to winning. He maybe won a round, if you wanna be generous.
Yeah he popped for ostarine.
Usada don't announce anymore but he put a video out on his Instagram.

seeing as Brunson outwrestled Yoel Romero for 2 rounds, this is true.

Brunson is considered a joke by MMA fans, but he usually crushes the non-elite guys that he fights.

If Adesanya were as overrated as people thought going into the Gastelum fight, he would have lost to Brunson.

vettori didn't even come close to winning that fight and was a cheater

Anyone and everyone can have an off night.

if you knew nothing about Jon Jones and only saw his two fights with Chickenheart and OSP, you would think Jon is a bum ass basic ass nobody fighter. Think about that for a minute.

Like the others said, he's improving very fast. He definitely earned my respect. I admit I don't like the guy, will never be a fan, but he showed a lot of heart and focus to beat the best Gastelum ever. Looking forward to seeing either of them fight again. Throwin' heat!

Whittaker isn't taking the shots Gastelum did and we have no idea how much surgeries and 50 minutes with Yoel Romero have affected him.
Whitaker won't be taking shots, he'll be giving them. Israel doesn't have great power.
Also, Whitaker's grappling is better, and he's not as small as Gastelum. He's also a better striker. Add that all up, and I don't see Whitaker losing.

Israel just escaped Gastellum. Let's not act like he looked like a world beater. He was getting rocked by a smaller fighter who isn't the most technical striker.

Brunson is considered a joke by MMA fans, but he usually crushes the non-elite guys that he fights.

If Adesanya were as overrated as people thought going into the Gastelum fight, he would have lost to Brunson.
Brunson seems to mainly have really bad fight IQ.

Still a good fighter though. He isn't going to lose to guys who aren't good themselves.

Champions always rise to the occasion.I remember I had a wrestling camp,I forget where oh Roger Williams college,somewhere in Rhode Island and you get roomed with someone in your weight class and just like normal seeding but there's always a tournament at the end.Anyway,I was seeded 16 and he was 1 because he won it the last 2 years.So you do all your early runs,and wrestle and do all your day to day stuff with your roommate and the guy always got the better of me.But bracket wise we were opposite unlike most seeded tournaments.Long story short we ended up in the finals and I defaulted him 17-2 (after a 15 point spread in wrestling you win) I absolutely destroyed him and it surprised the shit out of me tbh,cause I thought he was better than me.Sometimes people can just perform when it matters.

Honestly though,look at Kelvin's last fight vs Jacare,they both looked like trash (as far as what we expect from two of the best in the division) ...I think Kelvin has really mixed performances,I think he fought a stupid fight and I think Israel was in his peak and took it to the next level and fought to the best of his capabilities.Then you can add in how the fight was stylistically,idk but it was a great performance from Israel and honestly imo a stupid performance from Kelvin.I look forward to Whittaker vs Israel,what a crazy fight that would be if it happens.I'll take Whittaker via being more active,and maybe mixing stuff up more.

Whitaker won't be taking shots, he'll be giving them. Israel doesn't have great power.
Also, Whitaker's grappling is better, and he's not as small as Gastelum. He's also a better striker. Add that all up, and I don't see Whitaker losing.

Israel just escaped Gastellum. Let's not act like he looked like a world beater. He was getting rocked by a smaller fighter who isn't the most technical striker.
Still going on about the power thing. He fucked Gastelum up and almost finished him while he can take shots way better than Whittaker can.

Israel will TKO him inside 15 when they fight.

Well, you don't know how to break down fights.

List me Kelvin's impressive wrestling performances in the UFC. There aren't any.

He's been outwrestled by pretty much every other fighter with a wrestling background that he's fought. He won fights against guys like Kennedy and Jacare, who took him down easily in the first round, because he broke them after they gassed.
Let's not forget that he got totally dominated by Weidman. Didn't look like he belonged in the division, and I don't think he does. He has some heavy punches, but his blown up frame is certainly a detriment.

I did a 180 on my opinion of him on Saturday. Brother is legit, excellent TDD, cardio, heart etc
Same. I knew he avoided Brunsons gassed tds but I wasn't convinced. He looks a nice well rounded fighter

Triangle was dope.

That was the best performance of Gastelum's career. It was amazingly technical, and it's clear that Cordeiro scouted the shit out of Israel's style.

Kelvin didn't bite on any of Adesanya's feints until he was gassed, and his head movement was awesome.

If you think that Kelvin was able to have that much success against Israel just by spamming haymakers, then you don't know what you're watching.

Back