• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How common is steroid use in MMA?

IMO, not using performance enhancing drugs is bad for your health in combat sports. You're asking for an ass whooping it you try to compete natural.

You "don't give a fuck if people take steroids" yet:

"Just want to emphasize your idiocy for the viewers when you try to equate a service member using steroids to perform better in combat with you taking steroids to feel better about yourself from your basement."

You are just an arrogant hypocrite that resorts to personal attacks when called out on it.

You should be proud of your service but outside of Yankee army nuthuggers it doesn't give you carte blanch to chat shit about others without recourse.

Fuck off. We're done.

Why are you taking this insult towards someone other than yourself so personally?

and this is still why I consider Anderson the GOAT

While using PEDs may be cheating... it's hard to write off a great's accomplishments when the majority of greats are using something.

Couldn't agree more. Anderson was the man and matrixed guys on PEDs. Four, count them 4 of his opponents pissed hot while he tested clean during his reign. And unlike GSP, Fedor and Jones, no controversial decisions during his streak. All dominant decisions or matrix KOs. Finally loses at 38 yo and then pisses hot at MFing 40 years old, 13 months after breaking his leg in half.

No one else has done what this guy did at the age he did it. PEDs or no PEDs he just didn't get hit. Never rocked or out on his feet and knew how to avoid damage. Even getting pounded on by Sonnen on super soldier serum for 4.5 rounds and Silva looked like he just got out of the shower in the morning. Into his early 40's still didn't look bad vs. the best in the world.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. Anderson was the man and matrixed guys on PEDs. Four, count them 4 of his opponents pissed hot while he tested clean during his reign. And unlike GSP, Fedor and Jones, no controversial decisions during his streak. All dominant decisions or matrix KOs. Finally loses at 38 yo and then pisses hot at MFing 40 years old, 13 months after breaking his leg in half.

No one has done what this guy did at the age he did it. PEDs or no PEDs he just didn't get hit. Never rocked or out on his feet and knew how to avoid damage. Even getting pounded on by Sonnen on super soldier serum for 4.5 rounds and Silva still looks like he just got out of the shower in the morning. Into his early 40's still didn't look bad vs. the best in the world.

Well I still consider Armstrong the greatest cyclist.
I was into bodybuilding back in the 2000s and knew the pre steroid era bodybuilders like Reeves wouldn't make pro facing modern ped users, yet somehow in cycling guys are failing tests not even in the top 10 and Armstrong is supposed to be natural?

Well I still consider Armstrong the greatest cyclist.
I was into bodybuilding back in the 2000s and knew the pre steroid era bodybuilders like Reeves wouldn't make pro facing modern ped users, yet somehow in cycling guys are failing tests not even in the top 10 and Armstrong is supposed to be natural?

To be clear, I'm not saying Silva was clean. I don't know if he was using his whole career but even if he was, his skills were on another level. I differentiate between guys like Silva who was just more technically brilliant than anyone else, and guys like Wand who clearly relied on gear for brute strength wins while taking lots of damage.

Last edited:
Honestly I think a lot of fighters especially from smaller camps are probably natural just by being too naive or don’t have the resources to pass a drug test or USADA. Although I thought Izzy was natural and a big old titty showed up his last fight... makes me suspicious at the very least. Guys like Romero are using forsure. No way in hell can his physical attributes and physique get better like that as he ages.

I wonder how he gets away with it. Does short cycles and misses test as he needs to.... or does he use the 4:1 test ratio. Or does he have designer roids or use another technique? I don’t know. Honestly I think the easiest way would be too use something like a good source or pharma test suspension cycle until your two missed test are up then recover. Or do avoid missing a test altogether and do mini cycles. Bill roberts 2 weekers. The problem is though most roids are underground, and some of those are mount to be tainted... just like supplements. Even when using test suspension you risk being tested positive for something else like sarms, dbol, etc.

That’s why I don’t like drug testing like USADA.... only gives the athletes with the best resources to use and others not. Puts everyone else at a even more disadvantage.
But a guy like him is suspicious and honestly at his age you would think he would have to cruise? Not sure to be honest with you. Those are some of my thoughts. Lol

Also my opinion is they should of never allowed trt and just stuck with same week commission testing. Guys could not use or use mild cycles healthily, but now we have this shit.

To be clear, I'm not saying Silva was clean. I don't know if he was using his whole career but even if he was, his skills were on another level. I differentiate between guys like Silva who was just more technically brilliant than anyone else, and guys like Wand who clearly relied on gear for brute strength wins while taking lots of damage.
I feel the same way, somewhat. I like Ken Shamrock, but that hurts his standing with me (not that he cares), because strength was such a huge part of what carried him past guys like Masakatsu Funaki 2 of 3 times and helped him fend off the takedowns of a World Cup bronze medalist who was arguably in his athletic prime in Yoshiki Takahashi.

But it is disappointing either way and to me, it does detract somewhat from Silva and elevate guys that I'm almost positive weren't doing that.

I feel the same way, somewhat. I like Ken Shamrock, but that hurts his standing with me (not that he cares), because strength was such a huge part of what carried him past guys like Masakatsu Funaki 2 of 3 times and helped him fend off the takedowns of a World Cup bronze medalist who was arguably in his athletic prime in Yoshiki Takahashi.

But it is disappointing either way and to me, it does detract somewhat from Silva and elevate guys that I'm almost positive weren't doing that.

I always thought Silva was the last guy to be on something.

I always thought Silva was the last guy to be on something.

What puts Silva over for me is it's believable he was natty. He was never super strong or fast, but relied on technique and timing and was just that good. Even if he was on gear his whole career, so were a lot of others and they never did what he did.

Rooted against him for his first 4 title defenses - his style is the antithesis of what I liked (liked Sherk's style and more recently, Khabib), but after he dismantled Hendo, was clear he was something special. And his trolling, happy-go-lucky interviews were gold.

But agree that rules are rules, and pissing hot does diminish your legacy.

Last edited:
Didn’t a few guys, including LHW, say Anderson was very strong?

Looks can be deceiving.

Not as strong as some, though, for sure.

Didn’t a few guys, including LHW, say Anderson was very strong?

Looks can be deceiving.

Not as strong as some, though, for sure.

I think Franklin said that after their first or second fight, and this sequence comes to mind. I remember being amazed Rich had no answer for that.

zm9qf_medium.gif

I think Franklin said that after their first or second fight, and this sequence comes to mind. I remember being amazed Rich had no answer for that.

zm9qf_medium.gif
That's one of those fights I wish I'd have bet on. I did get kudos at the sports bar I saw it at, for calling the fight, but money would have been way cooler. Randy Couture versus Tito and Chuck was another I could have made some cash on.

That's one of those fights I wish I'd have bet on. I did get kudos at the sports bar I saw it at, for calling the fight, but money would have been way cooler. Randy Couture versus Tito and Chuck was another I could have made some cash on.

Didn't like Silva at first because I thought he was a Zuffa plant being fed favorable match-ups to give casuals what they wanted. I really thought the first good grappler with TDs that came along would finish him with sub or GnP.

Smaller orgs and countries that have weak testing protocols end up as being a greenlight for PED use; also surprisingly more frequent in ammies than expected

Back