How come MMA fighters have so poor cardio compared to tennis players?

FictionIsReal

Double Yellow Card
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Guys like Nadal or Djokovic can keep going at it trading shots for 5 hours straight sometimes, and then a guy like Khabilov gases after 10 minutes.

Somethings not right.

They are entirely different activities with different demands. If you are just moving your body without resistance, that is a totally different ball park than having someone actively resisting what you attempt to do rather than just responding to it like in tennis.

I guarantee you one of those tennis players would be gasping for air and or puking after a single 5 minute round. At Jackson's I can't tell you the number of times I've seen military guys come in to train since the airforce base is right now the street. Almost all of them can't keep up for a single round.

THe amount of energy expended in MMa is vastly different than in tennis.

They are entirely different activities with different demands. If you are just moving your body without resistance, that is a totally different ball park than having someone actively resisting what you attempt to do rather than just responding to it like in tennis.

Nailed it

Guys like Nadal or Djokovic can keep going at it trading shots for 5 hours straight sometimes, and then a guy like Khabilov gases after 10 minutes.

Somethings not right.

Yeah, your brain.

Kick a tennis player in the gut for a couple of minutes and watch him try and play for another five hours.

pretty sure nadal would get alot more tired if he was getting punched in the face during his exchanges.

How come MMA fighters can't run faster than a Gazelle? Because they are different sports.

Djokovic doesnt get hit in the face&body while playing.

Try training some martial art, no matter how good of a cardio you think you have (either from running, cycling or some other bullshit) you will be gasping for air after 3 minutes of rolling / sparring.

You learn pretty soon that there are different types of cardio and there are massive differences between them. You think you have a good cardio cause you can cycle for like 100km in one run? Yeah, that wont mean you have enough cardio to run 20km - same goes for martial arts, if you have good cardio cause of BJJ, wont mean you will have good cardio at say muay thai, your legs will give out rather soon after several kicks.

The bigger question here is who wins in a fight, Nadal or Rousey?

a tennis player would gas one minute into a fight or grappling match (though they would not likely last a whole minute), and i'm pretty sure even an mma fighter with shit cardio could play tennis for five hours. it's a lot of standing around.

Fighting and wrestling is way more taxing on the body. Come on man.

I guarantee you one of those tennis players would be gasping for air and or puking after a single 5 minute round. At Jackson's I can't tell you the number of times I've seen military guys come in to train since the airforce base is right now the street. Almost all of them can't keep up for a single round.
THe amount of energy expended in MMa is vastly different than in tennis.

Hahahaha CHAIR FORCE. No wonder

Somethings not right.

If they had been trading shots instead of trading shots, they wouldn't last a round.

Sport specific fitness.

That said, doesn't make sense that top Rugby players can play 80 minutes running and tackling but an MMA fighter gases after two rounds. Goes to show that MMA still has a long way to go.

Let's see Nadal's cardio after getting punched in the face a few times.

Somethings not right.

Does Nadal get punched in the face? Pressed against a cage? oe even have someone else mounted on top of him?

I mean, don't you think the differences in sports are too big to try and compare ?

Kick a tennis player in the gut for a couple of minutes and watch him try and play for another five hours.

Lol right. I came in to say this.

Last I heard tennis players don't get punched in the face or kicked in the body. Any fight sport is exhausting (just getting mounted is draining) but mma is killer.

Not trashing tennis player's cardio, they are certainly well conditioned. But the TS does understand what getting hit does to you. These guys can hit pads all day, ya know.

Back