How come MMA fighters have so poor cardio compared to tennis players?

Kick a tennis player in the gut for a couple of minutes and watch him try and play for another five hours.
This.
grimballer said:
cause tennis players are superior athletes of course.

not nfl/nba lvl, but way above mma

nfl/nba > tennis >>>>>>>> mma
LOL! I can only presume your definition of athleticism is positively troglodytic...

Fighting is way more physically taxing on the body and lungs. You don't get a chance to take a second out of the action because you always have to defend yourself. Also it's so gruelling exchanges and taking shots... Add the fact that your adrenaline is pumping and that you're in pretty much a kill or be killed situation.

Not to be rude, but if you've done both the answer would be too obvious to need to ask...

UFC = D level athletes competing for D level money
Tennis = A level athletes competing for A level money

Because they aren't playing tennis.

My guess is tennis players don't get punched in the face

How come Boxers get tired quicker than racehorses if you put a saddle on them and have football players ride them into battle against a bunch of professional curlers?

very different sports.

You get more breaks in tennis. Not to mention in MMA you get punched in the face. I am also sure some weight cuts dont help with cardio.

I am sure Nadal would burn out in a grappling match because he has never grappled so it is a different set of training.

Guys like Nadal or Djokovic can keep going at it trading shots for 5 hours straight sometimes, and then a guy like Khabilov gases after 10 minutes.

Somethings not right.

Yes "something" isn't quite right...

Tennis training

[YT]WE0-Ga6RpxU[/YT]

MMA Training

[YT]1G61d0feaIg[/YT]

Six pages of responses in an hour and a half?

Successful troll is successful.

Getting punched in the nose and gut isn't the same as tennis.

How come Boxers get tired quicker than racehorses if you put a saddle on them and have football players ride them into battle against a bunch of professional curlers?

That is the question that NEEDS to be answered!!

Getting punched in the nose and gut isn't the same as tennis.

Exactly!! Tennis is worse - You get knifed!!

126059095711663.jpg

The short answer is simply that athletes hone themselves for the specific sport they play.

It's not just a case of getting punched and mauled, MMA fighters train to fight for 25 minutes. If they can fight for 4-5 hours my guess is they would be too physically weak, having sacrificed strength and explosiveness for cardio they don't need. This would be a mistake in MMA.

Of course we do see a disparity in cardio amongst MMA fighters. There are guys whose cardio is perhaps "too good" and it comes at a sacrifice. The Diaz brothers, for example, have great cardio but lack the physical strength of many other fighters. Guys like Lombard are at the other end of the spectrum.

Back