How come I am 25 years old..

My sister has an MBA and she has had several jobs. She's managed a furniture store, done marketing for another store, worked for a non profit, now heads up a division of an architectural firm. She doesn't LOVE any of these jobs. She likes them, but she doesn't expect them to be "fulfilling." She finds that in her family, in her volunteer work, in her hobbies.
I just think more people need to adopt this mindset.

Im 32, and after getting laid off from the best job ive ever had last year, the horrible job market has forced me to go back to school.. it sucks.

Got to go to school. Hit up the community college and transfer to a 4 year, then bank. Or if doing a trade,cut it short and go to tech school and then be an apprentice.

not to be an asshole, but since you have others to look out for, how about you stop looking for a career you want and do what is necessary to set up a great life for you and your child?

Work is just a means to an end,people seriously need to get this through their head.

My sister has an MBA and she has had several jobs. She's managed a furniture store, done marketing for another store, worked for a non profit, now heads up a division of an architectural firm. She doesn't LOVE any of these jobs. She likes them, but she doesn't expect them to be "fulfilling." She finds that in her family, in her volunteer work, in her hobbies.
I just think more people need to adopt this mindset.

and this is exactly what I mean. i dont hate what i do, but i will never love what i do unless i want to be poor. careers aren't supposed to be fun, they are supposed to provide for you first and foremost. Hobbies are what you do for fun.

Should have stayed in school dude.

I to this day ragrat that.....

I'm 31 years old and currently unemployed. I have a general studies degree which means nothing in the real world. Though, I do have 8 years experience working with special needs children.

You're 25!

Though you aren't gonna be young forever. You don't wanna wake up one day, 40 and still stuck in the same place you were when you were 25. Don't try and force it, take it one step at a time.

Couple tips:

Continue to work and goto school part time, even if it means just taking one class a qtr. Online classes are great as well to help take care of the breadth requirements quicker. Also, all schools offer programs that allow certain students early enrollment for classes. Get in that, anyway possible.

Explore non-profits that offer free day-care for low income families. They exist and are often quality organizations. Do some research and see if any exist where you live.

I'm 29, work once a week, have probably been out of the country more than I've actually had a job in my life, have no idea what I want to do as a career, and I fucking love it.

Work (mostly) sucks, do as little of it as possible.

I'm 35. I have never known what to throw myself into, but then I haven't cared enough about anything to do so. The closest I've come is kickboxing and I don't want to fight pro.

TBH, I think a lack of drive signifies a pretty grounded person, those that strive for success and think money is real important have deficiencies or trauma they are trying (ineffectively) to heal. Like anorexic chicks starving to look attractive, they just can't stop where they look good, the goal posts always change.

I've been a psychologist, counsellor, driver, bouncer and I've built houses on my own and won awards for restoration of historical buildings with my dad.

It was all ok. None of its really important though. Home life, family, friends and free time to train, travel and get high are my main desires.

None of the people i know pursuing careers are as stress free as me in the countryside, with my pregnant wife chilling.

Sure having more money an shit is attractive but it's not worth being a dick for and research suggests earning more than above average correlates with reduced happiness.

And have no clue what career I want for my life? I have a women and a 6 year old son. We live in an apartment and make just enough money to survive comfortably. I haven't gone to college and I work in a food flavor facility mixing ingredients into batches.

I've had ideas that I wanted to act on but all of the passion in them seems to fade within a week or two.

How many of you have dealt with and overcome this?

Because you were too busy probably not buying protection or books.

I'm 29, work once a week, have probably been out of the country more than I've actually had a job in my life, have no idea what I want to do as a career, and I fucking love it.

Work (mostly) sucks, do as little of it as possible.

Thats a fine attitude if you dont have any kids, but TS does. Once you have kids you have to live for more than just yourself. If you can comfortably give your kids a world experience on minimal work, thats fine, but that typically involved something like teaching english in third world countries or something like that.

I got my career by accident, I needed a job and got offered an apprenticeship when I was 16 so I took it. Not many really know what they want to do for a career, in fact a lot of people I meet in their 40s totally wish theyd done something conpletely different.
Youll take something, itll probably suck, but thats work, it does suck

I have never really had any individual passions, but I've always enjoyed doing many different things. Football, wrestling, and basketball until high school graduation as well as being involved in a few clubs. Then I flunked college because I thought I would be okay following a certain career path. I was wrong. Dropped out, got into jiu jitsu and mma, and found that those brought the passion back to life. Now I'm doing the same in college, just taking a lot of different subjects that I'm interested in. Seems to be the route that I will follow from here on out.

We must do away with the absolutely specious notion that everybody has to earn a living. It is a fact today that one in ten thousand of us can make a technological breakthrough capable of supporting all the rest. The youth of today are absolutely right in recognizing this nonsense of earning a living. We keep inventing jobs because of this false idea that everybody has to be employed at some kind of drudgery because, according to Malthusian-Darwinian theory, he must justify his right to exist. So we have inspectors of inspectors and people making instruments for inspectors to inspect inspectors. The true business of people should be to go back to school and think about whatever it was they were thinking about before somebody came along and told them they had to earn a living. Buckminster Fuller

I never really found anything that clicked with me. I never will.

The only thing I was ever really good at was music and making a decent living playing music is basically like winning the lottery.

I'm in the same boat. I've realized that I'm not ever going to be truly happy working nad I should just deal with it and be thankful that I make good money (for my standards, at least) now.

Back