How come I am 25 years old..

My future kids will never hear this come out of my mouth. I will pay for my kids tuition as long as they go and do engineering. Anything else, your probably on your own (unless things drastically change).

Seems reasonable to choose your future child's career before you know what they do well and where their interests lie.

I'm 29, work once a week, have probably been out of the country more than I've actually had a job in my life, have no idea what I want to do as a career, and I fucking love it.

Work (mostly) sucks, do as little of it as possible.

do you live with your parents?

Seems reasonable to choose your future child's career before you know what they do well and where their interests lie.

The majority of people can do well in things if they set their mind to it. Now obviously if they just dont have it mentally then thats fine. as far as interests go, my interests are basketball, football, skiing, video games and movies but im not going to try and make a living out of any of those things.

So you're in the same boat as me, yet saw fit to take a condescending tone when addressing my post? Makes sense.

Shit - here comes condescending again: I just don't bitch about it and have come to terms with my position in life with an eye to moving forward. So, if telling you that makes me a dick, well....

Shit - here comes condescending again: I just don't bitch about it and have come to terms with my position in life with an eye to moving forward. So, if telling you that makes me a dick, well....

You only perceived my post as "bitching" because your intentions were to boost your own ego. It's pretty laughable. I shared my position in an mature manner, yet you responded immaturely to it. Whatever though, I'm through wasting my time responding to your trolling. Carry on with your self praise, I'm sure you need it.

Last edited:
The majority of people can do well in things if they set their mind to it. Now obviously if they just dont have it mentally then thats fine. as far as interests go, my interests are basketball, football, skiing, video games and movies but im not going to try and make a living out of any of those things.

Right, but just because you don't want to make a career out of your interests doesn't mean you should project that onto your kids.

I'm in a worse situation, TS. I'm 30, attempted multiple career paths and nothing has really worked out. No wife or kids though, I don't have that weight on my shoulders, and have no plans for it in the near future.

Just got my CDL license, hopefully truckdriving will fit me better.

i used to drive OTR commercially. you are in a great position to make bank especially if you can get on a team, or better yet become a trainer 6 months down the road. a lot of guys in your situation forgo having a permanent residence and put their nose to the grind for a few years. next thing they know they have an ungodly amount of money saved.

i loved it and miss it. i've been considering getting back into the industry for a min now.

have you signed with any of the big carriers yet?

Right, but just because you don't want to make a career out of your interests doesn't mean you should project that onto your kids.

I'm going to teach my kids what needs to be done and how to provide for one's family. In the end I can't hold a gun to their head to do so, but I can inventivize them. Ill be happy to pay for their education if they do something I approve of, if they don't, then they can figure things out for themselves.

I'm going to teach my kids what needs to be done and how to provide for one's family. In the end I can't hold a gun to their head to do so, but I can inventivize them. Ill be happy to pay for their education if they do something I approve of, if they don't, then they can figure things out for themselves.

Hitler wanted to be an artist.. But you go ahead and live your child's life for them.

i used to drive OTR commercially. you are in a great position to make bank especially if you can get on a team, or better yet become a trainer 6 months down the road. a lot of guys in your situation forgo having a permanent residence and put their nose to the grind for a few years. next thing they know they have an ungodly amount of money saved.

i loved it and miss it. i've been considering getting back into the industry for a min now.

have you signed with any of the big carriers yet?

Not yet, I'm in the process of getting my certifications (hazmat, doubles/triples, tankers) and then go shopping for an employer.

How much more pay is it with being in a team? The cab of a truck is pretty small, hate to have to share it. Also, whoever I have to work for absolutely must have a pet policy. I got a 37-pound English Bull Terrier.

Not yet, I'm in the process of getting my certifications (hazmat, doubles/triples, tankers) and then go shopping for an employer.

How much more pay is it with being in a team? The cab of a truck is pretty small, hate to have to share it. Also, whoever I have to work for absolutely must have a pet policy. I got a 37-pound English Bull Terrier.

hmmm. good call on the endorsements. you will get more loads with your hazmat, and have more opportunity if you can pull pups. as far as tankers, i have my endorsement, but never pulled any.

i tried to go the dog route. my advice to you (though i doubt you'll take it) is to find the animal another home if you are serious about driving.

team pay per mile might not be any better to start, but the truck never stops unless both drivers are out of hours. you are only making money when you are on line three, so the math is pretty simple. the advantage with that type of situation goes far beyond just the dollars and cents. the runs are usually longer, and nearly all loads are no touch freight - most times it is drop and hook. in addition, teams almost always have priority on the load sheet.

the cab and sleeper is like anything else. either you get used to it or you don't. for me it was easy. it is kind of like a man-cave on wheels if you get my drift. having a team mate really isn't a factor, because one will be driving while the other is in the sleeper and vice versa. im sure you will figure out whether or not a team is for you once you have a few weeks out with your trainer.

good luck man. and pm me if you have any additional questions.

Last edited:
And have no clue what career I want for my life? I have a women and a 6 year old son. We live in an apartment and make just enough money to survive comfortably. I haven't gone to college and I work in a food flavor facility mixing ingredients into batches.

I've had ideas that I wanted to act on but all of the passion in them seems to fade within a week or two.

How many of you have dealt with and overcome this?

Oh no. Whatever you do, do not go to college. You will just waste taxpayer $.

Or you should delay your life by enrolling at a community college. You get financial aid. Yes, it depends how much but that means you get an additional few grands to buy yourself a new TV, computer, sound system, or whatever you like. I warn you though. If someday, you decide to go back and get a degree, since you already burn your bridge with the financial aid system, you will pay full tuition but it varies state to state.

It's cool though. You could quit your job and live on financial aid as a welfare system for 4 semesters or about 2 years. :wink:

Back