How come I am 25 years old..

Man I am so in the same boat.

Thank god I dont have a kid... truly a blessing I dont. Luckily I own my house and can pay my bills. Im going to school to pursue engineering, but fuck it feels like im still a looong ways off and Im already 25. As I type this I have another window opened trying to figure out how to type a bid for a contract... I recently started my own business but have a fucks clue what Im doing. I could go on and on! But I want a career in engineering, and I figure this business could get me out of the mode Im in now and help supplement my studies with less stressful work.

I don't think it's too late to start a career. I began my around 23-24.

Find a career/industry in that your passionate about and pursue it. A man should take pride in his job, and it's a great feeling to do what you love.

As for the indecisiveness, you ought to act quick. You're still young, but the window to starting a new career is one you shouldn't wait for.

Be sure of yourself and your goals. I hate seeing people never do anything because they couldn't make up their mind.

Yeah, it can come off sort of douchey to claim you're a good musician, but hey, I spent a good portion of my teen years and 20's practicing and studying. I'm a better musician than a lot of the hacks that were selling millions back in the 90s. Its one thing that I'm sort of bitter about, that that one thing I put so much time into and loved so much got me nowhere. I actually stopped playing all together for a few years.

Thats what is so crushing about it. Some of the best musicians I've ever heard, no one else will ever hear because they don't fit in with whatever shitty trend is going on in music.

Agreed. But if it's any comfort, there are a lot of us. When I get out of school, I'll probably build a studio and play all the instruments myself and record the record I've always wanted to... it'll probably kick major ass and nobody will ever hear it haha

The only way to make money with music is to have a bunch of money to market the music and come across the right peeps, and even then if your tastes are eccentric, good luck getting anywhere.

That's the most depressing thing to me... it's all marketing, the music is peripheral these days. And marketing is all money... blah! It's a labor of love I suppose

And have no clue what career I want for my life? I have a women and a 6 year old son. We live in an apartment and make just enough money to survive comfortably. I haven't gone to college and I work in a food flavor facility mixing ingredients into batches.

I've had ideas that I wanted to act on but all of the passion in them seems to fade within a week or two.

How many of you have dealt with and overcome this?

I ONLY read your post...so if I repeat another poster it is only coincidence.

At 40 I still don't know the "right" direction. I'm comfortable with where I'm at but unsure about the future.

Be patient but be persistent. Be easy on yourself...you truly do have a lot of time to figure out the specifics, trust me man.

Wow. Sherbros making me feel better about my life. I thought I was floating around aimlessly, but apparently, I could be worse.

Thanks, gentlemen :)

Man I am so in the same boat.

Thank god I dont have a kid... truly a blessing I dont. Luckily I own my house and can pay my bills. Im going to school to pursue engineering, but fuck it feels like im still a looong ways off and Im already 25. As I type this I have another window opened trying to figure out how to type a bid for a contract... I recently started my own business but have a fucks clue what Im doing. I could go on and on! But I want a career in engineering, and I figure this business could get me out of the mode Im in now and help supplement my studies with less stressful work.

how are you remotely in the same boat as the TS, you have a house, no kid, your currently attending a university for engineering and to top it off you're running your own business as well

im 24

i didnt have specifics but a few years ago i set out for a few things

-get a degree (graduated last saturday)
-get a smoking hot korean wife who loves me (proposed right after graduation, she said yes)
-start my own business-(working on it, launching in 3-4 months)
-have kids

i didnt know specifics. like what degree leading to what business, or how to find the girl i wanted. but i think its easier to figure out what you want, and use that to learn how to get there. rather than to look for the journey like what career to take up

i will say, that anyone whos goal is to be hired somewhere, rather than hiring others is fucking up. kind of like after the graduation this weekend, people were talking about trying to get job interviews. i was like "fuck why did you get the degree if you dont want to be the one giving the interview...."

Last edited:
how are you remotely in the same boat as the TS, you have a house, no kid, your currently attending a university for engineering and to top it off you're running your own business as well

No lie, this made laugh.

I think they key is to just be willing to try anything and see where it takes you. Apply for a whole lot of jobs and see where it takes you, which one you feel most reward in doing. "Finding, yourself/your dream job/what you love/passions, etc." is not something you can really take time off doing in your position.

On the other hand maybe a career isn't what you need, maybe it's enough that you be content to do what you can to provide for your family. Even if it means working a job you hate, in order to buy shit your family needs.

I'm 27 this year.

I quit my last job, a croupier, that lasted 28 months, believing I was young and I must take a leap of faith that I will get something better. 8 months down the road, I'm still spending time on Sherdog, chatting in Marylounge.

That said, I always had problem finding an interest. When I was 16, I had to choose which course for my polytechnic. I had zero idea, so I applied for Finance services because my sister-in-law was studying that. I didn't get that instead got my 6th choice of IT programming. 3+ years of hell.

After polytechnic, I decided degree won't do me anything good. That plus 2+ years of National services, I was 23. No idea what to work as, again, so I went to a job fair. Finally settling to the Croupier job which ended like I mention above.

My closest friend have always tell me to figure out my interest FIRST so I can get something I like. Because I don't mind a pay cut. He have been on his own business for 4 years now, making decent money. I still have no idea what my interest is.

I read self-help books, planned for solo-backpack trips but always timid out. I travel pretty often with friends though. But just too afraid to leave my comfort zone for those solo-trips.

EDIT:
Most of the guys my age group goes through the same thing, Chinese especially. Most job hop alot.

I'm lucky in a sense, I don't have finance burden since I'm currently single and I have 1 year of saving. But I know it won't last. And the longer I drag it out, the "thinner" my resume will be by the time I reach 30.

I'm it this position, too. 30, no kids, a GF that's pointed out to me on a few occasions about my lack of ambition/being fine with mediocrity (I've come to grips that I'll probably lose her because of it), no real prospects on an enjoyable career. As sad as it all sounds, I'm not bent out of shape about it. I'm happy 90% of the time, and just enjoy living life and enjoying it for what it is (I guess it's my good ol' southern boy attitude).

I've been taking coding lessons online (since it seems like a need from here on out and partially spurred on by the gf). Maybe I'll start enjoying it once I get a good grasp on it, and it does at least satisfy my interest in building and problem/puzzle solving.

This is how I am. As long as I have the free time to enjoy life it's all good. I don't have kids or a wife though.

I am somewhat in the same boat, without the girl and kid though. I am 24 and studied game design, I am currently in an indie start up company with 4 friends, we are starting to make games for PC and phones at the moment. However, I don't feel the passion for it, I somewhat enjoy doing it, but it can be very stressful sometimes and I don't enjoy it enough to feel the stress is worth it. I don't know if its the game we're working on, I really don't feel any attachment to it and it seems pretty bland to me at the moment to be honest.

I am into art and am a pretty good artist, I love animation so I always thought a career in animation whether its 3D animated movies like Pixar stuff or 2D stuff would suit me better. I also love martial arts and I'm pretty good at it as well, I'm from a family of natural born fighters, but that career is also very risky. I love nature, so something to do with nature could also suit me, but I just don't know.

I am gonna ride out the indie game dev thing for now, we are making some progress in that area and we have a good plan, but the passion just isn't there at the moment, hopefully if we come across something big I will get the fire to continue, but at the moment I just don't know the course I want to follow.

I would switch positions with majority of you that have no idea what to do in life. Least y'all have jobs and a family. I fought a drug addiction for 6yrs and just got clean 3weeks ago and dk where I'm gonna go from here. I've been thru he'll and back and was by myself. You guys have families to stick thru thick n thin and I envy that. Guys need to keep your heads up, you'll get to where you wanna be but might just take time. I'm completely sober and don't know what my next move is next. Hoping a job. Then a Lady. Then a Family! lol anyways sorry for the bs! Guys will be Okay!

And have no clue what career I want for my life? I have a women and a 6 year old son. We live in an apartment and make just enough money to survive comfortably. I haven't gone to college and I work in a food flavor facility mixing ingredients into batches.

I've had ideas that I wanted to act on but all of the passion in them seems to fade within a week or two.

How many of you have dealt with and overcome this?

i was this way for awhile as well. Though im single an have no kids, i just now started getting back on my school game. I'm gonna be 27 on the 9th an i have no degree i just now nailed out that i wanna be an engineer. i personally feel kinda stupid that i just started on this now.

I'm it this position, too. 30, no kids, a GF that's pointed out to me on a few occasions about my lack of ambition/being fine with mediocrity (I've come to grips that I'll probably lose her because of it), no real prospects on an enjoyable career. As sad as it all sounds, I'm not bent out of shape about it. I'm happy 90% of the time, and just enjoy living life and enjoying it for what it is (I guess it's my good ol' southern boy attitude).

I've been taking coding lessons online (since it seems like a need from here on out and partially spurred on by the gf). Maybe I'll start enjoying it once I get a good grasp on it, and it does at least satisfy my interest in building and problem/puzzle solving.

try a caffeine pill every morning when you wake up. they are a cheap investment, but can change your life.

I'm just doing a job I don't enjoy for the money but I met up with some old school friends at Christmas and they're all successful doing things they love.

History lecturer at Miami U living at a place on the beach with his Brazilian model girlfriend.

Biology PHD

PR manager for EAs mobile division and gets to travel to E3, CES etc

I'm buying my first home at the moment but once that's sorted I'm going to find a job I enjoy like those guy's.

I see people basically say work is work, and to find a job that is fulfilling/enjoyable is almost a facade in a way. I don't want to succumb to this mindset. I don't want to work a shit job i absolutely despise in every aspect for the rest of my days. It'd be nice to wake up and enjoy coming into work/look forward to it. Unfortunately that isn't the case.
I'll just stick to my menial jobs, mediocrity as someone mentioned earlier. A blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while right?

Last edited:
Back