Social How cold are the Swiss?

Yuval Levy

Yuval Levy
@purple
Reaction score
We were having a convo at work earlier about their past foreign work lives, one of them brought up the Swiss

Apparently, to him, Switzerland was absolutely stunning...if there weren't any people around.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/s...med-one-of-the-worlds-most-unfriendly-places/

As one American respondent said: ‘people in Switzerland have a culture of being reserved, they are friendly, but not actually looking for friends.’ Other respondents felt the same and it wasn’t purely found to be a linguistic barrier, Swiss culture seems to be impenetrable to some.

The Swiss scored poorly on friendliness, making foreigners feel welcome, and openness to expat friends. But Switzerland is still considered the safest country for expats, with a high quality of living and better income than is available elsewhere. Just don’t tell that to a native.

If Hell froze over what would it be?

Solid.

Meet them abroad / travelling and the Swiss are brilliant. But I spent 2 weeks backpacking there last summer and they were extremely reserved. Failed to strike up any real conversations with the locals. I thought it was covid wariness but I went to stay with a Belgian girl I know there and she said "nope, they're always like this."

We were having a convo at work earlier about their past foreign work lives, one of them brought up the Swiss

Apparently, to him, Switzerland was absolutely stunning...if there weren't any people around.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/s...med-one-of-the-worlds-most-unfriendly-places/

As one American respondent said: ‘people in Switzerland have a culture of being reserved, they are friendly, but not actually looking for friends.’ Other respondents felt the same and it wasn’t purely found to be a linguistic barrier, Swiss culture seems to be impenetrable to some.

The Swiss scored poorly on friendliness, making foreigners feel welcome, and openness to expat friends. But Switzerland is still considered the safest country for expats, with a high quality of living and better income than is available elsewhere. Just don’t tell that to a native.

I was there back in 2014... Visting my uncle who has lived there for the last 30-40 years and his married to a swiss woman for the last 3-4 decades and has kids who are swiss. The country is split in 3 parts there is German state, French state and Italian state. He lives in the french state.

People were social but there was a huge problem. French and Italians are normally out-going people you will never experience unfriendliness with them but the issue was that NOBODY SPEAK ENGLISH.. lmao! The reason why is even hilarious every state feels proud of it's language so they ban the langauges of the other states plus english so they don't lose their own identity and langauge. It is paranoia...

I was at a gas-station and I wanted to buy cigarettes and snack but damn me and the girl working there were literally using hand-signs because I asked for a bag but she didn't understand it took me two minutes to explain that.

The valuta is also ridiculously high when you change money it will eat your money as soon as you exchange with local currency..

---------------

I think your friend has been to the german state of the country. Ze-germans are hell'va reserved

Last edited:
good. i don't go to foreign countries to bother the locals. it's always the western shmucks that go to trips thinking it's their journey of discovery bullshit, and the locals have to indulge their whims.
fuck that. eat the food, admire the sights, go the fuck home. people don't owe you conversation.

The Swiss are considered cold and reserved? What?

<{walkerwhut}>

good. i don't go to foreign countries to bother the locals. it's always the western shmucks that go to trips thinking it's their journey of discovery bullshit, and the locals have to indulge their whims.
fuck that. eat the food, admire the sights, go the fuck home. people don't owe you conversation.

I just get drunk and go to local brothel

Meh, I mainly keep to myself anyway so no big deal.

I was there with someone else but would have no issue going back, they seemed friendly enough to me.

I was there back in 2014... Visting my uncle who has lived there for the last 30-40 years and his married to a swiss woman for the last 3-4 decades and has kids who are swiss. The country is split in 3 parts there is German state, French state and Italian state. He lives in the french state.

People were social but there was a huge problem. French and Italians are normally out-going people you will never experience unfriendliness with them but the issue was that NOBODY SPEAK ENGLISH.. lmao! The reason why is even hilarious every state feels proud of it's language so they ban the langauges of the other states plus english so they don't lose their own identity and langauge. It is paranoia...

I was at a gas-station and I wanted to buy cigarettes and snack but damn me and the girl working there were literally using hand-signs because I asked for a bag but she didn't understand it took me two minutes to explain that.

The valuta is also ridiculously high when you change money it will eat your money as soon as you exchange with local currency..

---------------

I think your friend has been to the german state of the country. Ze-germans are hell'va reserved
Yep, Lucerne

I'd probably find them needy, clingy and overly friendly..

That said i'm a country ranked 1st in how hard it is to make friends..

Yep, Lucerne

Ze-Germans are reseved and the same goes to the scandinavians. I am from Scandinavia they are legitimately reseved people on an average but you can run into once in a while some who are out-going and social.. Also the Dutch to some degree they are reserved.

The out-going Europeans are basically limited. The British isle, Italians, French, Spainards, Portuguese..

I just get drunk and go to local brothel

Lmao.. You remind me of these scandinavians I run into in Thailand once in awile.. Getting with a young thai girl under 16 for like 2-3 months fukin the shit out of her and drinking all day long in the pub..

Meh, I mainly keep to myself anyway so no big deal.

I was there with someone else but would have no issue going back, they seemed friendly enough to me.

In which part?

Back