Opinion how are unions not a right wing thing?

Because unions give power to everyday, working people, while challenging the power of wealthy, powerful people.

And if there's one thing the right hates, it's everyday working people having influence. Their deep love for hierarchy obligates them to side with the powerful.

Part of the reason for this is that the “powerful” are generally white males

We didn't have a new contract voted on until like the end of March.. guess when it goes in place? FUCKING JUNE! We don't get a cost of living adjustment until 6 months after the new year and it's only 3% across the board. I make barely under 40k a year.....

The saddest part of this is your possibly believing you might be seeing higher wages and better benefits without the union.

I am still waiting to be shown examples where non-union workers are receiving a better total compensation package from their employers than union workers within the same industry and the same city.

This is not to say that some unions aren't weak. In fact, many unions today are very weak due to decades of pro-corporate, anti-labor policy successes. But collective bargaining is always going to have more leverage than individual bargaining. It can be meager. But it's something.

It should be noted that you provided absolutely no evidence or even basis for this claim.
The only thing I can think of is the teacher's union makes it really hard to get rid of bad teachers. Anecdotal but the school district I went to had this problem when I was there. Teacher's that didn't seem to give a shit couldn't be fired cause they had been there long enough so to speak.

The saddest part of this is your possibly believing you might be seeing higher wages and better benefits without the union.

I am still waiting to be shown examples where non-union workers are receiving a better total compensation package from their employers than union workers within the same industry and the same city.

This is not to say that some unions aren't weak. In fact, many unions today are very weak due to decades of pro-corporate, anti-labor policy successes. But collective bargaining is always going to have more leverage than individual bargaining. It can be meager. But it's something.
I don't think I would get higher wages without one... I just wish I had a smaller union or that unions were made up of people that had WORKED THE JOB they represent. My union rep in the union office I had to explain what my day to day job was when I wanted to file a complaint.

I just want them to be better... as it stands for the BIG ones like the Teamsters... they're like a giant company now. I've worked at the same place for 5 years and have had my union rep change like 3 times now.

The only example I can think of is my union out here has FORCED the county to do promotions on a "time in job/employment" basis. Meaning the person in the office for 5.5 years will get promoted before the person with just 5 years experience even if the person with 5 years experience is the better employee and can do the job. The Salt Lake job I applied for straight up told me "you're represented but if you're here 6 months and a promotion opportunity is open and we think you'd fit it better than the person here for 10 years you're getting the promotion"

My union seems perfectly fine with the status quo as is... and it's not like I live in an anti-union area. I live in fucking NW Washington.

they're an embodiment of a group that is fighting for families to have the means to provide.
They stand up for ''real'' america, the people who work blue collar jobs at factories.
Busting unions has led to decrease in benefits, job stability and wage losses. All these factors hinder the chances people have at taking care of a family, the cornerstone of most of the rights values.
I think if many candidates came out as pro union they could even sway a lot of voters. . .

has it always been this way? When did the right start union busting? Was it with R.R?
It is because the rightwing in America has been directed and defined by the big business loving GOP , who has always stood against any kind of action that reduces the power of Corporate America and the super wealthy.

Trump's 2016 campaign rhetoric on manufacturing and free trade is leftish, but sadly it has been mostly rhetoric. Though I do give him credit for taking a tough stance against China (relative to other Presidents).

The only thing I can think of is the teacher's union makes it really hard to get rid of bad teachers. Anecdotal but the school district I went to had this problem when I was there. Teacher's that didn't seem to give a shit couldn't be fired cause they had been there long enough so to speak.

I mean....I guess it's possible that a teacher is good for years, gets tenure, passes through his or her probationary period, and then just starts sucking ass, but I don't think it's particularly common, let alone systemic, and is more than made up for through the benefit that we get from teachers being adequately paid, adequately vetted, and adequately protected from having their terms constricted by employers or arbitrarily fired.

Unions are a feature of Communism. Communism is basically society is one big union. That being said there's a handful of unions conservatives love, like the police union.

It should be noted that you provided absolutely no evidence or even basis for this claim.

This is the issue. Anyone familiar with teachers unions and their political leanings as well as their history of protecting bad teachers and defending/upholding low standards already knows this.

People on message boards expect to be given one link with the entire history. Anyone familiar with teachers unions already knows this. It's been a major issue for my whole voting lifetime.

You're like the dude that asked me how I knew there was an abolitionist movement in the US before the Civil War. Prove it! Only the ignorant ask for proof of what anyone can research for themselves.

I mean....I guess it's possible that a teacher is good for years, gets tenure, passes through his or her probationary period, and then just starts sucking ass, but I don't think it's particularly common, let alone systemic, and is more than made up for through the benefit that we get from teachers being adequately paid, adequately vetted, and adequately protected from having their terms constricted by employers or arbitrarily fired.
I can see that. Like I said, my personal experience with my own I’m not a huge fan. Wish the reps we had actually understood what our jobs are as an example.

I can see that. Like I said, my personal experience with my own I’m not a huge fan. Wish the reps we had actually understood what our jobs are as an example.

What does it say about the dude that he had idea about all the battles with teachers unions over protecting bad teachers and the PC doctrine in schools that conservatives have had?

Unions are becoming more right wing.

The biggest union in America shits all over the “new green deal” and wants to slap progressives faces off.

And illegals destroy the working class. “Free trade” which our president decried, destroys the working class.

How do you think trump won Wisconsin and Michigan, Penn and Ohio

It's a weird dichotomy, representing the everyday working man, while doing things to undercut him.

Part of the reason for this is that the “powerful” are generally white males

No shit that most of the "powerful" would generally consist of the demographic that used to account for over 80% of the American people, until the 1990's.

If the "powerful" weren't generally white males then something would be wrong.

This is the issue. Anyone familiar with teachers unions and their political leanings as well as their history of protecting bad teachers and defending/upholding low standards already knows this.

People on message boards expect to be given one link with the entire history. Anyone familiar with teachers unions already knows this. It's been a major issue for my whole voting lifetime.

You're like the dude that asked me how I knew there was an abolitionist movement in the US before the Civil War. Prove it! Only the ignorant ask for proof of what anyone can research for themselves.

Only the full of shit say "research it!" when asked to substantiate a claim. I work with unions. Unless you're a union leader or someone bargaining against the union/on behalf of school administration, I know more than you do.

Also, I take this as a concession that you can't back up your statement with anything but "well, everyone knows."

trump-sources-cited-you-know-it-i-know-it-everybody-knows-it-believe-me.jpg

Only the full of shit say "research it!" when asked to substantiate a claim. I work with unions. Unless you're a union leader or someone bargaining against the union/on behalf of school administration, I know more than you do.

Also, I take this as a concession that you can't back up your statement with anything but "well, everyone knows."

trump-sources-cited-you-know-it-i-know-it-everybody-knows-it-believe-me.jpg

If true, I'm not surprised they would hire someone without the basic knowledge of all the fighting between conservative politicians and teachers unions. Chris Christie's entire campaigns centered around them.

You as well I'm sure: There is no history of organized crime being involved with the labor unions. Prove it!

You as well I'm sure: There is no history of organized crime being involved with the labor unions. Prove it!

There is a history of organized crime being involved in labor unions, although that generally didn't involve school teachers to my knowledge. So I won't prove otherwise. Even if there wasn't, I would have no reason to prove otherwise as that's entirely irrelevant and makes no point about how the supposed failures of public education are due to teachers' unions. I would be interested to know how Jimmy Hoffa and the Teamsters are really responsible for SAT scores, even just for the entertainment.

There is a history of organized crime being involved in labor unions, although that generally didn't involve school teachers to my knowledge. So I won't prove otherwise. Even if there wasn't, I would have no reason to prove otherwise as that's entirely irrelevant and makes no point about how the supposed failures of public education are due to teachers' unions. I would be interested to know how Jimmy Hoffa and the Teamsters are really responsible for SAT scores, even just for the entertainment.

Just for entertainment, why did Bernie Sanders endorse and campaign for Hillary Clinton after Donna Brazile specificially explained to him how her people and the DNC had rigged the primary against him? What kind person would want such a woman elected to office after having been told how corrupt and immoral she is?

Just for entertainment, why did Bernie Sanders endorse and campaign for Hillary Clinton after Donna Brazile specificially explained to him how her people and the DNC had rigged the primary against him? What kind person would want such a woman elected to office after having been told how corrupt and immoral she is?
This feels like moving the goal posts completely off topic... Like, you took the goalposts and dropped them in Fenway Park. At second base and then the other in the visitors bullpen.

And this is from a guy that has been on record in this thread anothers that I don't like at least my union personally in my experience.

This feels like moving the goal posts completely off topic... Like, you took the goalposts and dropped them in Fenway Park. At second base and then the other in the visitors bullpen.

And this is from a guy that has been on record in this thread anothers that I don't like at least my union personally in my experience.

I'm proving a point. How does a reasonable person support Bernie Sanders? Forget his stupid policies, the man campaigned for Hillary after being told how she had gone against every principle of democracy by rigging the primary by the head of the DNC herself. I like to hear his supporters try to explain this.

I'm not going to spend hours trying to educate someone who has no idea that teachers unions have been defending bad teachers and lowering standards for decades and acts like that's something I made up.

Concession accepted.

Back