How are Toll Booth legal in the States

Can you just build a road and charge people to drive it. I though taxes paid for roads and shit. How collect the money for it. I heard a new yokers be paying 20 dollars a day to just get to work.
How are restroom tolls legal in Europe? Went there and had to pay every time I wanted to piss.

In PA a lot of the toll roads, and even a lot of what are now free roads, started as privately-built turnpikes from one village or town to another and/or to Philly.

Government liked the idea and ran with it.

Would you mind pointing me in the direction of the candidate who is proposing lower spending or why it is you think the president has the power of the purse?

Also kindly quote all your posts where you complained about the last president's spending, since you think the president is writing checks. The amount the federal budget before congress unanimously passed the recent stimulus was by the amount of interest on the existing debt. Do you think there is literally 1 person on the planet who believes that you wouldn't complain if Trump cut a single penny from the biggest government expenses(social security and medicare)? You'd be the first one saying he's trying to kill old people, so kindly STFU with your fake outrage.

I don't think there is such a candidate, and that's a problem. There might have been in the 2016 election cycle (for you guys). As for the power of the purse, just because Congress is complicit in Trump's big spending habits that doesn't exonerate him from being a part of that spending process.

Sadly, without the search function, I can't find such posts without prohibitive work, though I am including one down below. What's more, since I've only joined since after Trump was president, I haven't talked about Obama much and I doubt I've ever directly . My thoughts though? Our addiction to social services that we don't properly fund is one of the biggest long term problems we face and, while I'm in favour of a robust social services network, I also recognize that to pay for that we need a big revenue stream (see: something like oil in my province of Alberta, which I have defended) or high taxes on the populace. I may not be a fiscal conservative, but I think the question of "How are we going to pay for it" is one of the most important ones we can ask right now. If moral concerns and all that trump balancing the budget without exception, eventually we'll have an unmitigated disaster. The misuse of the terms "need" and "necessity" must be carefully considered as well. Sometimes what we actually need is to not break our budgets rather than opening the new youth center for (insert group here).

I may be a left leaning individual, and even an NDP (see: big tax, big spend party) voter, but I consider fiscal responsibility one of the big issues of our time. Obama was bad for it. My Prime Minister, Trudeau, is terrible for it. Trump is bad for it. If you'll look back to the posts I was responding too, also, I wasn't casting blame solely on the Republicans in this case... I'm more pointing out that fiscal conservatism is on its deathbed with Trump. That's not good, as fiscal conservatism is probably the greatest virtue of conservatism. They're supposed to be the guys who reign in spending, while my team pushes for more aggressive spending. If the Republicans aren't pushing back, that's bad.

As for the post...

"Yeah, it's going to be rough, but I think we'll see the government taking it a bit more seriously. Canada, especially under the Trudeau governments, has proven to be a country with very expensive tastes. It's going to need a cash flow to keep those going. Active actions from various levels of government in Canada cost the country billions of dollars when money could be made from oil. If the country doesn't prepare to capitalize when it can, which admittedly it can't now, it's going to just keep racking up that debt. Or, as the NDP premier of Alberta, Rachel Notley, put it at the time:

"This week, Alberta premier Rachel Notley sounded the alarm on the “clear and present danger” of a Canada without enough oil pipelines. In a Monday news conference, she said the Canadian economy is losing an incredible $80 million for every single day that goes by without a Trans Mountain expansion or a Keystone XL."
https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...lion-in-oil-wealth-to-the-americans-every-day

The Trudeau government is a kid with a new credit card that has been hiding bad numbers behind debt to GDP ratio. They won't be able to do this any more. I'm betting we'll get to hear a few speeches, in months to come, about "This is something... uh... that we need... uh... to do for the good of... uh... Canada." Trudeau may not like it, but the man needs to be able to pay for all of his stuff since he won't be able to hide it behind debt to GDP
."

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/alberta-and-quebec-independence-from-canada.4099282/page-4

Now, tell me - does this post, made last Sunday, sound like it's coming from someone who isn't willing to be critical of unfunded spending by my own team, or who isn't making calls for some degree of fiscal responsibility?

The roads are privately owned I think. Or I'm the case of the Mackinaw bridge it's to maintain it, although it makes big profits...

Back