• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How Aldo must be feeling?

Yeah, it's shitty for Aldo.
If anyone deserves a rematch, it's him.

But I'm tired of rematches, so I can't get too uppity about it. Plus, I'm not sure Conor's going back to FW

That´s another problem, if Conor never comes back to FW anyone who holds that belt will be looked as an 'interim champion' and Conor will love to say shit like that.

How must he be feeling? Justified.

Justified in his opinions about UFC management.

Everything they've done and said since the fight has been validation of Aldo.

For the record, I'm not upset he's not getting an immediate rematch. I think Conor needs to get a few more miles on him. Then let them fight.

I don´t get it. You mean when aldo says the UFC wants to pass as a sport but in reality is a show?

I don´t get it. You mean when aldo says the UFC wants to pass as a sport but in reality is a show?

Sure. And his critique of the Reebok deal. And of Conor having too much sway with management. And most importantly, his constant message that all fighters deserve more pay.

I was under the impression that the Fertitta Brothers could run
their company the way that they wanted to.

You do have a very solid point. But, I think most fans of combat sports in general believe rankings should mean something, and the next person on the list should get the next shot. Holding re-matches ( Everybody, and their dog ), or not ( Aldo ), and giving undeserving ppl shots ( Diaz ). Or taking away an earned shot ( Miesha )... A few examples off the top of my head. There are many, many more. It's not all on the up, and up. Then there is fighter pay, and the Reebok deal. Zuffa can pretty much do what they want. But, there's ethics, and fair play. They have loads of money. Give some more to the fighters, and do the right thing in making matches, etc.

His actions before and during the fight justify the UFC management

The main difference here being that Aldo isn't marketable and his opponent is the most marketable fighter in the UFC. Hence, Aldo gets the shaft while the other guy gets to do what he wants.

All other champs get a rematch except Aldo who is ironically the most deserving of them all. The UFC is very transparent in how they are doing this and treating him. It is shameful.

The UFC put up a king's ransom promoting the fight the first time around and had to risk a lot putting Mendes in to try to salvage that event. Luckily, Conor delivered as promised, got the KO and made history.
If Mendes had beaten Conor that night, the UFC would have been sunk.
Plus, during the promoting, Conor did 99% of the heavy lifting while Also coasted on his laurels.
Aldo doesn't deserve a thing. Conor gave him a RPN like never before. He owe's Conor his new restaurant, everything.

Aldo should be thanking Conor every day of the rest of his life.

That´s another problem, if Conor never comes back to FW anyone who holds that belt will be looked as an 'interim champion' and Conor will love to say shit like that.

I can see the UFC letting Conor pull some crummy stuff like that.

You do have a very solid point. But, I think most fans of combat sports in general believe rankings should mean something, and the next person on the list should get the next shot. Holding re-matches ( Everybody, and their dog ), or not ( Aldo ), and giving undeserving ppl shots ( Diaz ). Or taking away an earned shot ( Miesha )... A few examples off the top of my head. There are many, many more. It's not all on the up, and up. Then there is fighter pay, and the Reebok deal. Zuffa can pretty much do what they want. But, there's ethics, and fair play. They have loads of money. Give some more to the fighters, and do the right thing in making matches, etc.

'.....and the next person on the list should get the next shot.'
That's not how it works. Rematches are not compulsory in any combat sport unless the fighter's contract is drawn up that way.
The UFC retains the right to booking matches for Aldo, or he'd have grounds to sue, and the UFC wouldn't have a leg to stand
on. Jose agreed that it was at the UFC's discretion who he fights. Whether he 'deserves' a rematch or not is relative. Is it fair on
a personal level? Depends on who you asking. Mcgregor could countervail with, 'I shouldn't be forced to engage in another
fight with a guy I leveled in record time.' Aldo's opinion isn't the only one. Then you have those in the top 5 who want a shot. The point
is, fighters agree beforehand to what they bitch about in the future. Do I want to see Edgar fight Conor? Of course I do. What I
don't want to see, is fighter's who whitewashes the fact that they agreed to the UFC having a certain amount of control. The 'loads of
money' quote is an entirely new paragraph I'm happy to discuss. It is a pretext created by the media to absolve fighters who agreed
to amounts beforehand. If your not happy with what your being paid, you don't sign the contract and complain that things aren't fair.
Have you ever once heard a disgruntled fighter admit that they agreed to get paid the amount they're now bitching about?

In Jose's case its a blessing in disguise unlike Ronda's case. He looked visibly shooken up prior to the fight starting in the Octagon. The Jose of old would never have made that stupid mistake of leaping in like that vs the old Jose we saw that night. Conor would have won that fight THAT NIGHT one way or another. Now that he lost, he can rebuild himself and the rematch will come ie Rua V Griffin 2, or Velasquez V JDS 2&3.

Conor has a legit shot of losing soon and then a Jose fight will make more sense.

All other champs get a rematch except Aldo who is ironically the most deserving of them all. The UFC is very transparent in how they are doing this and treating him. It is shameful.

Pretty much all the title fights ts mentioned were competitive, even if they didn't get immediate rematches like ts implied. aldo was anything but competitive. besides it's not a good idea to come back that quick after getting KO'd it could be a career ender. He suffered substantial brain trauma, medically speaking he needs to take his time coming back.

Coasts in fights against guys obviously inferior to him. Is known to pull some drug testing voodoo. Pulls out of fights all the time. Disparages the UFC's sponsors. Could never bother to learn a sentence of English. Couldn't promote his way out of a paper bag. Was barely clearing more PPV buys than Demetrious. Has conflicting words with UFC brass. Has stated publicly he's entitled to a rematch against a guy who's about 10 or more times the draw he is. That guy smoked his ass like Mickey from Snatch in a couple seconds. And that guy's a superstar who's out there begging for superfights not just with the 155 champ, but with the champ at 170.

Good luck on your rematch ambitions, Aldo. I hope the burger business works out, bud.

I may have got the Cain/JDS fights wrong what about the rest?

Aldo's next fight may yet be for the belt so you shouldn't just assume these things, but from a business perspective, Aldo doesn't really deserve an instant rematch.

He talked a lot of shit about his employer, and while that's ok with me, he shouldn't expect them to do him any favours when he himself has proven to be somewhat unreliable when it comes to showing up to do his job. He pulled out of the biggest card in ages, one which they poured in tons of money and spent the better part of a year hyping the hell out of it. That one really hurt his reputation with the company I'm sure.

Then when he finally does show up he gets one punch KTFO'd in 13 seconds. It was almost as embarrassing for the company as it was for Aldo. It was like an old Tyson PPV, people left feeling a little ripped off, like he didn't even belong in there in the first place. Thank goodness Rockhold/Weidman was a decent fight.

To top it all off he's not a draw like those other fighters in your list, and he even seems unwilling to go to extra effort to change that.

The UFC is business. It's not a Kindergarten sharing circle where fairness and feelings have to be taken into account.

Back