• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How Aldo must be feeling?

I hate immediate rematches anyway. I don't care how long you've been champ, if you get beat down for the title, you should earn your way back up.

Glad they're changing it up.

Sure he is pissed but he has to deep down know where this is coming from. Almost an entire year was spent on the Aldo McGregor fight with it being hyped for months then cancelled then hyped again then the fight for few seconds. Of course they don't want to start again in 2016 trying again to sell that fight. They have to move on and take advantage of the Conor wave. Aldo can easily get back in line for a title shot relatively quickly.

Dana and the UFC are treating him like shit

Ronda gets a beatdown and gets Koed - Immediate title shot for Ronda when she decides to comeback.
Cain gets injuried and completes 1 year out - Werdum gets interim belt
Cain loses to Werdum (beatdown and submission in México)- Immediate rematch
Weidman loses to Rockhold (beatdown and TKO)- Immediate rematch
Dominick Cruz comes from 2 years out - immediate title shot
Frankie Edgar loses to Ben Henderson (decision)- Immediate rematch
Frankie Edgar loses to Ben Henderson again - immediate title shot at FW
AS loses to Weidman (KO) - Immediate rematch
JJ comes back after suspension - Immediate title shot
BJ Penn loses to Frankie Edgar in a close decision- Immediate rematch.
Randy Couture loses LHW title to Vitor Belfort - Immediate rematch.
Sean Sherk gets suspended and stripped of his title, next fight back is a title match against BJ Penn.

Gustafsson (who is not even the champ and never was) takes an early TKO against AJ in his Hometown - Next fight -> Another title shot (being the first against JJ)

(Insert here other rematches or immediate title shots)

Conor beats (with an early punch) Aldo (9 title defenses since WEC) (10 years undefeated)

Dana says: "Can´t promote that fight, Conor (cash cow) is going to fight for the LW belt and KEEP the FW belt until he decides to defend it". When he does Frankie Edgar is next in line."

PS: I erased the cain fights because some people complained so much

I would remove the BJ Penn Edgar.

It was a close fight where the current champion going into that fight appeared to have won according to the fight metrics and to the human eye of a lot of people.

Thus Edgar's winning of the title in the first place was very very disputed.

That warrants a rematch more than any other.

As for Aldo ... I feel kinda bad for him but he did talk bad about the UFC for years now and had them cancelled multiple fights of his while he wasn't a big seller.

So I understand the business reason behind it.

losing in the most embarrassing way in seconds you have to earn your way to the top again with lions like edgar roaming around the lions den.

First there is nothing embarrassing about losing in any way. It takes balls to step up there to face someone ready and trained to take you head off.

Second 1 punch KO can happen to any fighter, it happened to the most hardcore fighters in the world. it just happened to JDS, it happened to Cain, to Mark Hunt, to Roy Nelson who has an iron chin, and a hundred other fighters, not only the heavy ones, even Joseph Benavidez who is a top contender at FLYWEIGHT got Koed early on the first by DJ. I will even say that most fighters who have a decent amount of fights have at some point a loss by KO/TKO in the 1st.

You people have to stop talking like it`s something that never happened before, that it is shamefull, embarrassing.

Would it make much difference for you if it was one or two minutes in the first? Because in most fights action only begin by that time, the thing is Aldo rushed in very early on and happened what happened.

Hope the best for aldo but IDGAF for his feelings

he´s been a champ for like 5 years and has not done nothing marketing wise. that´s how it works here

I hate immediate rematches anyway. I don't care how long you've been champ, if you get beat down for the title, you should earn your way back up.

Glad they're changing it up.

The thing is except for Aldo they are not changing it up, it will still be going on.
Ronda will get a rematch when she comes back
It`s very likely Weidman will get a rematch
JJ comes back for the title (rightfully in my opinion but still a immediate title shot)
Dominick cruz just came back for the title
etc

Hope the best for aldo but IDGAF for his feelings

he´s been a champ for like 5 years and has not done nothing marketing wise. that´s how it works here

Wrong Aldo is the champ since the WEC in 2009
I think promote is important but not many fighters have that talent, that`s why there are promoters, they are supposed to promote, fighters are supposed to fight and win, that Aldo had been doing until the Conor loss.

The thing is except for Aldo they are not changing it up, it will still be going on.
Ronda will get a rematch when she comes back
It`s very likely Weidman will get a rematch
JJ comes back for the title (rightfully in my opinion but still a immediate title shot)
Dominick cruz just came back for the title
etc

Cruz and Jones aren't immediate rematches, so I don't mind them getting title-shots because no one beat them for their titles, hence no ones proven to be better than them. Ronda getting a rematch, however, is asinine. Yet and still, they're letting her rest and letting a deserving contender like Tate get it which I okay with. Weidmans only getting a shot by process of elimination. They were originally going to give Romero the title-shot and have Weidman fight someone else, but it seems like he's been caught with lucky charms plus Jacare's already booked, and the rest of MW is a barren wasteland. So there's literally no one else to give the title-shot to.

And it seems like they're finally letting go of this stupid instant rematch tradition with Werdum and Miocic being booked because Cains got the best pull-out game of all time.

Cruz and Jones aren't immediate rematches, so I don't mind them getting title-shots because no one beat them for their titles, hence no ones proven to be better than them. Ronda getting a rematch, however, is asinine. Yet and still, they're letting her rest and letting a deserving contender like Tate get it which I okay with. Weidmans only getting a shot by process of elimination. They were originally going to give Romero the title-shot and have Weidman fight someone else, but it seems like he's been caught with lucky charms plus Jacare's already booked, and the rest of MW is a barren wasteland. So there's literally no one else to give the title-shot to.

And it seems like they're finally letting go of this stupid instant rematch tradition with Werdum and Miocic being booked because Cains got the best pull-out game of all time.

In fact Tate is fighting Holly because Ronda herself chose to take time off.
Weidman is fighting Rockhold because the UFC wants, Vitor is coming from a win and he beat Rockhold. Jacare was challenging Rockhold to see who would be next for the title and they chose Rockhold over Jacare, so as coming from a loss is no problem for the UFC, for example Gustafsson and I think Couture did that too, and changing booked fights is no problem either, the rematch is just a choice in fact.

He constantly complained about his pay and their business practices while doing very little promotion for his fights. He put himself in a position where the belt was his only leverage, now it's gone

Quick question: Who is the promoter? Quick answer: It's the UFC. Not Aldo. Not any fighter. This notion that the fighter HAS to do all the promoting to sell a fight is horseshit company man talk.

Quick question: Who is the promoter? Quick answer: It's the UFC. Not Aldo. Not any fighter. This notion that the fighter HAS to do all the promoting to sell a fight is horseshit company man talk.

Nobody is saying it's on him to do all the promotional work. The problem is Aldo turns around and whines about his money. If he's not willing to do the utmost to sell his fights, he has no right to complain about his situation

Wrong Aldo is the champ since the WEC in 2009
I think promote is important but not many fighters have that talent, that`s why there are promoters, they are supposed to promote, fighters are supposed to fight and win, that Aldo had been doing until the Conor loss.
We fans tend to think this is something like the olimpics, non profit, pure sport thing
This is a private company. Their shareholders want more revenue
End of story

Weidman, Rousey, A.Silva, Weidman, Velasquez, Edgar, BJ Penn. Only A.Silva was as dominant as Aldo n A.Silva got ktfo in a way that surprised ppl (same as Aldo)

I want to see no rematchs anymore

But i don´t want want to see every single fighter gaining rematches while the one problably most deserving, for having the most amount of title defenses, gain nothing.

I agree, when Dana gave Andy the rematch it fukd everything up n set a precedent.
There was also when he gave Sonen the rematch after LOSING to the champ (before he tested positive)

I don't care. He was the worst UFC champ. Pulled out of like 6 or 7 fights. However if they made the rematch I would be glad because he would need to retire after.
OK, you're full of shit number 1.

He pulled out of 6-7 fights, OK, so who did he face when he came back? Same guys right? and what happened? He won right, all of them except Conor right? Yeah... so... the point?

If I'm a champion, and I'm scheduled to fight fighter A, B, C or D and I get injured and drop out and then the UFC say hey, now that you're back you need to fight A, B, C or D again... and I do fight them, and I win convincingly - how does my stock or respect as a champ go down?

Elaborate...

Dana and the UFC are treating him like shit

Ronda gets a beatdown and gets Koed - Immediate title shot for Ronda when she decides to comeback.
Cain gets injuried and completes 1 year out - Werdum gets interim belt
Cain loses to Werdum (beatdown and submission in México)- Immediate rematch
Weidman loses to Rockhold (beatdown and TKO)- Immediate rematch
Dominick Cruz comes from 2 years out - immediate title shot
Frankie Edgar loses to Ben Henderson (decision)- Immediate rematch
Frankie Edgar loses to Ben Henderson again - immediate title shot at FW
AS loses to Weidman (KO) - Immediate rematch
JJ comes back after suspension - Immediate title shot
BJ Penn loses to Frankie Edgar in a close decision- Immediate rematch.
Randy Couture loses LHW title to Vitor Belfort - Immediate rematch.
Sean Sherk gets suspended and stripped of his title, next fight back is a title match against BJ Penn.

Gustafsson (who is not even the champ and never was) takes an early TKO against AJ in his Hometown - Next fight -> Another title shot (being the first against JJ)

(Insert here other rematches or immediate title shots)

Conor beats (with an early punch) Aldo (9 title defenses since WEC) (10 years undefeated)

Dana says: "Can´t promote that fight, Conor (cash cow) is going to fight for the LW belt and KEEP the FW belt until he decides to defend it". When he does Frankie Edgar is next in line."

PS: I erased the cain fights because some people complained so much
Randy is the only bad example. Vitor poked him in the eye and they stopped it and said TKO victory. Completely deserved a rematch.

Randy is the only bad example. Vitor poked him in the eye and they stopped it and said TKO victory. Completely deserved a rematch.

Well i am just making a different point, not really debating who deserves or who doesn´t , just showing that no matter what, especially nowadays, everybody is getting rematches and title shots, deserving or not, but the longest reign champion is not getting, (who sports wise is the one most deserving) but somehow the general feeling in this forum seems to be that he is not getting 'because he doesn´t deserve it' wich is bullshit.

As for the Vitor/couture fight as far as i remember Vitor throws a punch, not a poke, that weirdly scratches inside Randy eyes then they go into a clinch and the fight is stopped at 0:49 because Randy is making funny faces because of the injuried eye, wich means that punch is very very early only the fight, (i´m trying to rewatch it here but is not loading right now), anyways it´s pretty much what i said. So the fight is rightfully declared TKO as Couture can´t continue.

If i agree with a rematch in that case? Yes. That fight proved nothing. And so did Conor vs Aldo it proved nothing, only that Aldo was emotional, angry, enraged, pissed, and engaged like a amateur, like a street brawler, if he can work his mental/emotional it will be a different fight, if he doesn´t he might as well get koed again.

Considering UFC history,Aldo is correct in wanting and expecting a hematch.

Back