How About Okami vs Weidman?

Okami is a perfect match for weidman. But silva fans don't want it because weidman would have an even stronger claim to a title shot.

Sherdog is funny
Weidman fans think Silva fans dont want the Weidman/Silva fight because Weidman would benefit form the win
Silva fans think that Weidman fans don't want the fight because they are afraid of it being a tough match up for Weidman.

Why can't it be that MMA fans want to see competitive good MMA fights, and like to see matchups structured in ways that A) Produce the better fights, and B) Produce better narratives and fights down the road.

Weidman isn't the same type of fighter as Sonnen at all.

You're right. He doesn't have the takedowns or tenacity to do what Sonnen did.

He has better striking than Sonnen, but that's the equivalent of having a bigger hand gun when fighting a tank.

I would like to see Weidman fight someone who will hit him back.

I want to see him against a quality striker, maybe Lombard.

But if his next fight is Anderson thats OK

Sherdog is funny
Weidman fans think Silva fans dont want the Weidman/Silva fight because Weidman would benefit form the win
Silva fans think that Weidman fans don't want the fight because they are afraid of it being a tough match up for Weidman.

Why can't it be that MMA fans want to see competitive good MMA fights, and like to see matchups structured in ways that A) Produce the better fights, and B) Produce better narratives and fights down the road.

That was mostly just for whiskey, but I get your point.

He has better striking than Sonnen, but that's the equivalent of having a bigger hand gun when fighting a tank.
He is a much more complete MMA fighter then Sonnen. Their styles are really nothing alike other then that they have a wrestling base. If that's how far your level of insight goes, then yeah, they are the same style.

Weidman is a high class wrestler with extremely good submission grappling skills to boot. He faced Andre Galvao at ADCC as a purple belt and gave Galvao everything he could handle. His striking skills are coming along quite impressively as well. He's just one of those special kind of guys.

He is a much more complete MMA fighter then Sonnen. Their styles are really nothing alike other then that they have a wrestling base. If that's how far your level of insight goes, then yeah, they are the same style.

Weidman is a high class wrestler with extremely good submission grappling skills to boot. He faced Andre Galvao at ADCC as a purple belt and gave Galvao everything he could handle. His striking skills are coming along quite impressively as well. He's just one of those special kind of guys.

As far as I can tell, their styles differ in a few ways.

Weidman is more tentative and willing to stay on his feet to set up his takedowns. He's patient and calculating in doing so.

When he finishes a takedown, he doesn't sit in guard, but passed and lands shots to open up his opponent to look for submissions.

Overall, he's much more patient than Sonnen, and that, in my opinion, would be his downfall against Silva. Sonnen's success was in large part due to his aggression. He came straight at Silva and kept moving forward until the fight was on the ground. From there, he was able to hold Silva down and land shots at will. He was constantly fighting.

We've all seen what happens to patient fighters fighting Anderson. They start out being patient, and waiting for an opportunity. They eat a few shots, and it is no longer patience. They get stuck being timid, and become target practice.

People say Silva fans are scared of a potential Weidman fight. Not me. I'm a huge Silva fan. I want to see the fight.

However, the fight has a downside. When [if] Anderson beats Weidman as I suspect he would, all these Weidman "fans" would show their true colors as plain ol' Anderson haters. They would try to say that Weidman was never that good, and Anderson is ducking real competition.

I know how it works around here. I'm not stupid. But as an Anderson fan, I personally welcome the fight.

Okami is a perfect match for weidman. But silva fans don't want it because weidman would have an even stronger claim to a title shot.

Where do you guy's come up with this shit, huge Silva fan and I have no concern of a Weidman fight at all, I'd love to see it, however the Weidman fans seem quite adamant
about him not fighting Okami, the same Okami that had nothing for Anderson and was supposed to get smashed by the other over hyped Middleweight, how'd that work out.

What I think TS is 'wtf do you and other question "Weidman's Wins' and not Bispings or any strikers Anderson may fight at MW.

I laugh at you Anderson fans cowardice showing itself thru the 'who has Weidman beat' focus while you promote or accept guys like Bisping while never asking the same question.

How about Okami get cut for being boring as fuck. Why would you want to see Okami in anything.

Where do you guy's come up with this shit, huge Silva fan and I have no concern of a Weidman fight at all, I'd love to see it, however the Weidman fans seem quite adamant
about him not fighting Okami, the same Okami that had nothing for Anderson and was supposed to get smashed by the other over hyped Middleweight, how'd that work out.

Where do you come up with this shit. Okami was always going to beat Belcher. Okami is the fourth best mw in the world and some striker that didn't get submitted by pahlares wasn't going to change that.

Weidman should already have fought silva. MW is a weak division and beating two guys in the top five should get you a title shot in any division, no matter the divison.

I would like any matchup for weidman and lombard other than each other just because those two are the only interesting matchups for silva at all to defend his title.

Okami will just derail another MW contender.

It's a good fight but UFC should probably avoid it for that reason.

Where do you come up with this shit. Okami was always going to beat Belcher. Okami is the fourth best mw in the world and some striker that didn't get submitted by pahlares wasn't going to change that.

Weidman should already have fought silva. MW is a weak division and beating two guys in the top five should get you a title shot in any division, no matter the divison.

I would like any matchup for weidman and lombard other than each other just because those two are the only interesting matchups for silva at all to defend his title.

While I agree that intelligent fans where aware of this the majority seemed to think Belcher was going to walk right through him, when I picked these fight's on Tapology I was shocked to see 70% had picked Belcher, also all the threads on here I would say it was around 65% 35% in favor of Belcher.

He doesn't have Sonnen's power double, but he's a better technical wrestler. That's incredibly useful since Silva has trained a ton to stuff that power double.

if they CANT beat okami. they cant do shit to A.Silva. Okami is gatekeeper and like Co-Boss. If u cant beat him? dont bother trying to skip that fight and go straight to the boss.

Good analogy lol

Yushin "mini boss" Okami

Lot of silly and desperate Anderson fans in this thread.

Whisky said:

You do not need Sonnen's level of td's to put Anderson on his back as Lutter and Hendo (both very different styles of td's) proved.

If Weidman can put Anderson on his back in the first 2 rounds he will have his chance. If like others he fails to finish Anderson in that spot, then likely Anderson finishes him after.

But I doubt very much that Weidman will be the FIRST wrestling based td guy to fail to dominate and put Anderson in very bad spots for all of the first and much of the second round.

Rkue said:
if they CANT beat okami. they cant do shit to A.Silva. Okami is gatekeeper and like Co-Boss. If u cant beat him? dont bother trying to skip that fight and go straight to the boss.
Style make fight. Anderson fans are searching for a MW contender with elite tdd hoping that will stop Weidman. that is why they are promoting Okami and Lombard so much. Obvious and sad Anderson fans. Real sad.

Okami will just derail another MW contender.

It's a good fight but UFC should probably avoid it for that reason.
that is the Anderson fans hope and prayer. Sad really.

While I agree that intelligent fans where aware of this the majority seemed to think Belcher was going to walk right through him, when I picked these fight's on Tapology I was shocked to see 70% had picked Belcher, also all the threads on here I would say it was around 65% 35% in favor of Belcher.

It was a case of weird pahlares hype getting transfered to belcher

Okami should fight Philippou.

Okami tests Philippou's grappling and if Philippou passes the test he gets to test Okami's striking.

Same goes for Weidman vs. Lombard, except in this fight I don't know who will be testing what. Lombard is more dangerous on the feet imo.

Agree those are fights worth making. Costa is obviously dangerous in the stand up, and is decent at TDD. I think Okami will be too much for him but if he can land cleanly it could be over.

Weidman v Lombard needs to happen so a hype train can die. Weidman's more technical in the standup but Lombard has the power and outside of that I think they'll be pretty evenly matched up. Be interesting to see who gets the takedown and who will dominate on the mat.

I just wanted Belcher to win so we could keep things moving at the MW, sucks that him and Boestch lost and now MW is fucked again for a little bit.

I just wanted Belcher to win so we could keep things moving at the MW, sucks that him and Boestch lost and now MW is fucked again for a little bit.

I cant argue with you on that, or anything else for that matter, your AV could be considered a ped.

Back