Housing market crash incoming?

The hassle of being a landlord is well worth it, especially for your kids, but it is a legit hassle.

If only you knew an engineer.
Go up to the attic, if the joists( 1 piece) go end to end it's not load bearing, if 2 separate joists connect above the wall you're talking about, it's load bearing. If the joists run parallel to the wall you're talking about, it's also not load bearing. If it's a 1300sq,ft. bungalow, odds are it's not load bearing cause it's would be a relatively short run.

It’s a skinny 2 story, with a finished basement. Each floor is about 670 square feet. The wall in question is on my main floor, and the people before me finished the basement with a sheet rock ceiling rather than a drop ceiling so I can’t see anything there.

I did peak up in the attic. The wall in question is perpendicular to the joists which is what I expected, but the spray insulation is so deep I can’t tell if there’s a seem somewhere or if it’s one piece all the way across. It’s about 27 feet from front door to back of my kitchen along that path if that gives you a clue to some standard board length. Also I think 1430 square feet living space on main and upper floors together, I went dyslectic and remembered 1340 falsely.

No time today to actually crawl up in the attic and brush some stuff off to see

No market drops incoming, barring unforeseen shock(s).

NIMBY has left serious shortages across the US. Market previously expected a jump in Starts post-Covid, and we did see a small one, but it has quickly dropped back down to pre-Covid numbers (~1,350 most months). Supply dropped so hard during the decade after the Great Recession the markets never caught-up.

My buddy did 30 year and now his mortgage is like 900 per month on a 500k house. Neither path is wrong imo as long as you refied. I know some debt makes sense but personally I hate having payments of any kind. We have to start a 529 stat... kids almost 2
I never did a 529, my son is in CC in a transfer program, he will need those funds when he transfers, currently his schooling is free. My brother started a 529 for my son several years back and he has 5K…. Will see how much he’s got after. We do have those ugma investment accounts for each child….. not saving taxes, but to store birthday, Christmas gifts over the years. He’ll have to get loans and finish school fast, haven’t told him about money he has…..

It’s a skinny 2 story, with a finished basement. Each floor is about 670 square feet. The wall in question is on my main floor, and the people before me finished the basement with a sheet rock ceiling rather than a drop ceiling so I can’t see anything there.

I did peak up in the attic. The wall in question is perpendicular to the joists which is what I expected, but the spray insulation is so deep I can’t tell if there’s a seem somewhere or if it’s one piece all the way across. It’s about 27 feet from front door to back of my kitchen along that path if that gives you a clue to some standard board length. Also I think 1430 square feet living space on main and upper floors together, I went dyslectic and remembered 1340 falsely.

No time today to actually crawl up in the attic and brush some stuff off to see
Then you need to cut open the ceiling drywall on one side of that wall(enough to stick your head in) and see whats going on with the joists directly above, I thought it was a bungalow. If it does end up to be a load bearing wall, it can be re-framed to open up the wall, however you would still have the pillars on the ends of that wall and it would kind of open it up like a picture frame. Hopefully you have smooth ceilings and not stucco, much easier to repair and put back to normal. A fair bit of work but definitely doable.

You said the wall divides the kitchen and living room, but is there cabinets on the kitchen side of that wall, cause you need to find a solution to replace that storage space if there is.

@HockeyBjj
Also hopefully there is no heating vents/return air or drain pipes in that wall cause that could get real expensive to re-route, of course electrical and water supply can be re-routed to the end pillars.

Serious question

Are y’all’s cities building projects around y’all’s suburbs?

Because they’ve built projects around my father’s suburb and the shit sucks.

Then you need to cut open the ceiling drywall on one side of that wall(enough to stick your head in) and see whats going on with the joists directly above, I thought it was a bungalow. If it does end up to be a load bearing wall, it can be re-framed to open up the wall, however you would still have the pillars on the ends of that wall and it would kind of open it up like a picture frame. Hopefully you have smooth ceilings and not stucco, much easier to repair and put back to normal. A fair bit of work but definitely doable.

You said the wall divides the kitchen and living room, but is there cabinets on the kitchen side of that wall, cause you need to find a solution to replace that storage space if there is.
I’d have to move my fridge. And there’s a return vent in that wall.

It’s probably too much work to me worth it, and will remain something I dream about whenever we have company over.

I’d have to move my fridge. And there’s a return vent in that wall.

It’s probably too much work to me worth it, and will remain something I dream about whenever we have company over.
There's an easy solution for that, don't have company over or only have them over when the weather is nice and host it in the backyard.

Back