Home Security / Door Locks

Locks only keep honest people out. I have a sign that says; Security is provided by Smith & Wesson. You can get a fake security system keypad to mount outside the door. Since you're in a condo, an alarm or actual security system might be the answer.

Locks do a good job of deterring criminals that are looking for an easy mark.

I worked for a home.business security company out of Texas once. They got mad as fuck at me over a question I asked during a national convention. They were going over how awesome their security system is and how all the doors and windows are covered plus the automatic lights and motion sensors. And they were talking about false alarms where an operator calls the house and if someone doesn't answer they dispatch police just in case and if someone does the homeowner has to have two very specific security codes (keylock and password to give otherwise they send the police because it could be a burglar who answered.

So I asked..what are the companies return codes? They looked stunned and asked me to repeat the question. I said "what are the company return codes? If the homeowner has to provide codes to confirm his identity, then don't we have to provide codes to confirm it was us that called? Otherwise they could have just given out their keylock and password codes to a perfect stranger" They looked like a deer in headlights but I actually assumed we had something set up and just wanted to know. Finally the guy gets out "well, uh, why are you asking that? Are you planning on breaking into houses?" I was thinking "wtf?". I responded, "No, I want to make sure I can answer that question if it comes up to convince customers we can stop people from breaking into theirs".

But moral of that story is, make sure if you get a home alarm company you check stuff like that. All these companies advertise right on the premises. Anyone with your number of a phone book could call and not wanting police rushing to your door you could be blurting out all your passwords to a perfect stranger.

Home security you ask? purchase Mikhail Kalashnikov's model 47. that's all u need bro.

Some stranger knocks on the door, then tries the handle...people's answers are jail quality deadbolts, security systems/cameras, and most importantly guns.

Just ponder that.

Home security you ask? purchase Mikhail Kalashnikov's model 47. that's all u need bro.

Exibit A for why we need better gun control laws to make sure people buying them are competent to assess when to use them. We train our police on when or when not to use deadly force. But if you are a citizen, we hope you you will make the right decision.

Is the gun going to shoot the burglar for you if you aren't home? Which was of course what the post was about.

Some stranger knocks on the door, then tries the handle...people's answers are jail quality deadbolts, security systems/cameras, and most importantly guns.

Just ponder that.

Trying the handle is a huge red flag. It means someone is trying to gain entrance and after knocking and no answer so presumably thinking nobody is home or at least within ear-shot of the door.

If this was just knocking on the door it would be very different. At least, I would hope so.

They've done polls of B&E/home invasion convicts and prison, and asked them what would make them decide to skip a house and move to another one. Poll came back the following:
1. Home Security System
2. Dog
3. Knowledge that the home owner possesses firearms

I had an incident over the summer happen that was weird. My gf and I live together, and she is off in the summer (school librarian). Some guy rang the doorbell during the middle of the day while I was at work. He said he was with a pest control company, and asked her if she had any need for pest control. I have a Pitt mix, and my gf is holding her by the collet while this guy is talking, and she said he seemed unfazed that my dog was barking and trying to pull toward him the whole time. She said no, no pest issues at out house, but he kept asking if she was interested in a free appraisal. She kept saying no, and then he asked her if she lived alone. This obviously sent her red flags straight up, so she told him to come back later when her bf was home, and told him she was having trouble holding back the dog (my dog probably would have just licked him but has the appearance of being a tough dog).

She called me immediately after locking the door and told me what was going on. I told her to call the police and let them know this dude is in the neighborhood acting weird. I asked her if she wanted me to come home from work immediately, and she said no she wasn't scared at all. She was sitting on the couch with my dog and my loaded shotgun and wasn't opening the door for the guy if he comes back. Was a little peace of mind for the both of us.

Somewhat off topic, but what do you people think about the keypad entry deadbolt? I got a 1-10 keypad with a 4 digit passcode. Question is are they easy to override?

Trying the handle is a huge red flag. It means someone is trying to gain entrance and after knocking and no answer so presumably thinking nobody is home or at least within ear-shot of the door.

If this was just knocking on the door it would be very different. At least, I would hope so.

First of all, this guy likes in Thailand, so I'm guessing a gun isn't a reasonable option for home defense.

Regarding trying the handle: It definetly sets of some huge red flags, but it can also be explained away easily as well. You would have to evaluate the situation as a whole. What time of day was it? How old was he? Did he appear to be on drugs or mentally ill? Was he carrying something that could be used as a weapon? What is the crime rate of the area?

TS left out a host of critical details that would make me believe that this situation was exceptionally dangerous.

If there is no deadbolt. Get a deadbolt (this goes for any door). Beef up the frame if need be. Oh, you have to lock them too.

Those simple solutions will deter a lot of criminals.

Just ponder that.

brah, if someone knocks on my door, then goes for the handle, I start shooting until I see a pool of blood. no questions asked. the door is easily replaceable.

1389027408291.gif

Somewhat off topic, but what do you people think about the keypad entry deadbolt? I got a 1-10 keypad with a 4 digit passcode. Question is are they easy to override?

I have the Weiser smart key deadbolt and handle front and back, they seem decent enough. I can't say for sure if they are easy to override, but if it was an epidemic I think the engineers would figure it out quickly.

I don't really use the keypad. It gets annoying changing the batteries. I could do without it to be honest.

First of all, this guy likes in Thailand, so I'm guessing a gun isn't a reasonable option for home defense.

Regarding trying the handle: It definetly sets of some huge red flags, but it can also be explained away easily as well. You would have to evaluate the situation as a whole. What time of day was it? How old was he? Did he appear to be on drugs or mentally ill? Was he carrying something that could be used as a weapon? What is the crime rate of the area?

TS left out a host of critical details that would make me believe that this situation was exceptionally dangerous.

If there is no deadbolt. Get a deadbolt (this goes for any door). Beef up the frame if need be. Oh, you have to lock them too.

Those simple solutions will deter a lot of criminals.
I don't think the onus should be on the homeowner to try to assess the danger of the person attempting a home invasion. I am not advocating just shooting through the door. And for the most part I am in in the anti-gun crowd. But even I have exceptions. And trying to enter my home while i am in it is one of those. But I would hope the owner would make at least a reasonable effort to avoid using deadly force such as:

1) Who is it?

2) And if they don't answer- "if you do not leave i am calling the cops and I have a gun"

I don't want to just shoot blindly and kill some old dude that got confused and went to the wrong door. But if I establish it is a would-be home invader, one has to also even factor in civic responsibility. You let him just walk away and maybe next house he does get into and kills some people. There are few threats more dangerous and more invasive then home invasion. And any criminal psychology book will tell you that home invaders have a particular mindset that makes them some of the most dangerous criminals around.Not only they aren't afraid of a confrontation, they may even be looking for one. And even if they didn't know you were home, it is a situation that has the potential to escalate quickly.

I don't think the onus should be on the homeowner to try to assess the danger of the person attempting a home invasion. I am not advocating just shooting through the door. And for the most part I am in in the anti-gun crowd. But even I have exceptions. And trying to enter my home while i am in it is one of those. But I would hope the owner would make at least a reasonable effort to avoid using deadly force such as:

1) Who is it?

2) And if they don't answer- "if you do not leave i am calling the cops and I have a gun"

I don't want to just shoot blindly and kill some old dude that got confused and went to the wrong door. But if I establish it is a would-be home invader, one has to also even factor in civic responsibility. You let him just walk away and maybe next house he does get into and kills some people. There are few threats more dangerous and more invasive then home invasion. And any criminal psychology book will tell you that home invaders have a particular mindset that makes them some of the most dangerous criminals around.Not only they aren't afraid of a confrontation, they may even be looking for one. And even if they didn't know you were home, it is a situation that has the potential to escalate quickly.

Are all Americans so paranoid? The girl in OP didn't even feel the need to phone the police.

Edit: Crimes like random home invasions are rare where I live.most home invasions involve an unlocked door or the homeowner opening the door for the invaders. Also, we don't have guns for home defense (and nobody complains about that). I have a little bit of a different perspective for sure.

Last edited:
Hire a retired Thai fighter ladyboy as a live-in housekeeper. She'll protect you and give you handies when you're drunk.

Are all Americans so paranoid? The girl in OP didn't even feel the need to phone the police.

Edit: Crimes like random home invasions are rare where I live.most home invasions involve an unlocked door or the homeowner opening the door for the invaders. Also, we don't have guns for home defense (and nobody complains about that). I have a little bit of a different perspective for sure.

Paranoia suggests an over-reaction

A stranger trying to gain entrance into your home without permission is what it is. Regardless of how common they are. What would it take for you to realize you are in potentially life-threatening danger?

That is like someone cornering you in an alley and dropping his pants and saying someone is paranoid for thinking rape might be on his agenda and not some just wino who was going to ask you for change but then decided to piss first or an exhibitionist

Sure there always could exist a low percentage chance that the situation isn't what it seems. But you agreed yourself someone trying to turn the handle raises huge red flags. So what are you still arguing? As soon as they turn the handle it is attempted breaking and entering or home invasion if they know someone is home. Either way, the only prudent course of action is to be prepared for the worst and not take undue chances if you are inside the house.

Back