Home Muay Thai Sparring with 2 Knockdowns (VID)

phengeng

Blue Belt
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83QySR7ypjk

Hey guys, i'm back again with a new vid..some sparring this time with my older brother who basically taught me everything i know, i'm self-taught with help from my brother. I haven't had much sparring experience at all and this is the first time we are sparring with heads.

Seeing this video shows me how much i suck at sparring, bad footwork..hands are down...don't put combos together...just everything..i know. Anyways i thought my brother did really well considering he doesn't really train anymore...he use to do TKD then muay thai, he has 23 pounds over me. I'm motivated to keep sparring and getting better....bags don't hit back!

Enjoy!!

im not impressed with your chin :p

you need more space to go wild on footwork anyway

white gloves was puttin the hirtin on you. lol. but his standup isnt all that great either. work your turning kick more. can u axe kick? cause when he drops his hands and starts to do more head movement u can use your axe kick to set up a big punch.(right axe kick, left punch for example)

but yea work on ur footwork like u said that will help u set up your hands more.

and u should be BLASTING his front leg with a turn kick every time he steps forward with his jab.

not bad though u ate that spinning back kick though hahaha

Well as a wise man once said, "Your brother...remember?"

Keep training, you seem to be doing fine. How long have you been self teaching yourself?

obeygiant.jpg

im not impressed with your chin :p

you need more space to go wild on footwork anyway

ahah yea...liek i said first time sparring with head.....the first knockdown..i was tired and i just felt like falling.....i was laughing once i hit the floor....but the last kick...that actually made me fall....it doesn't look hard but his heel hit the back of my head and that felt funny.

Well as a wise man once said, "Your brother...remember?"

Keep training, you seem to be doing fine. How long have you been self teaching yourself?

1 and a half years. But hardly any sparring experience.....i know i have a lot to learn & i will join a gym. Just thought i'd share the vid.

Awesome. I wish my bros still lived with me so I could spar with them =(

Yeah I wish I had a room like that. But yeah, going to a gym will be the best. I'm returning to mine tomorrow after a few months lay off.

its my garage..mhuahhaa

Im Jealous!

You looked pretty good. Use your jab and teep more. Vary the speed and number of jabs to set up your legs better. Good though! Big brother's always have the mental advantage!

Those K-1 shorts are sweet! I've been meaning to get some of those but the shipping from Thailand to U.S. is ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83QySR7ypjk

Hey guys, i'm back again with a new vid..some sparring this time with my older brother who basically taught me everything i know, i'm self-taught with help from my brother. I haven't had much sparring experience at all and this is the first time we are sparring with heads.

Seeing this video shows me how much i suck at sparring, bad footwork..hands are down...don't put combos together...just everything..i know. Anyways i thought my brother did really well considering he doesn't really train anymore...he use to do TKD then muay thai, he has 23 pounds over me. I'm motivated to keep sparring and getting better....bags don't hit back!

Enjoy!!

for being self taught ur actually pretty good in regards to tech, u have the general application of def/off down; the problem your having is that u are lacking in the specific movements/adj that come from training consistently w/a coach.

i know because i taught myself how to box initially through sparring and drills shown to me by people who box; an then when i did some time in the boxing gym i adapted cus i was in general familiar w/the tech, i had alot of work to do because i lacked the refinement in applying assessing modifying tech...

the footwork thing, unless ur REALLY good is gonna be aproblem in an area that small; ur just not good or exp enough to be as slick as u need to get off w/shots or set up shots w/ur feet.

your brother is still pretty smooth and flexible w/his kicks esp for someone who doesn't traing consistently, he is really comfortable snapping off the kicks, setting them up and mixing them w/the punching. Not world class or anything, but very balanced w/them, not just that but he really had a good sense of when to use them, timing wise; not sure if that is him just being better than u and knowing ur game or him being that good.

the punching was okay, not as snappy and i think u could have been more judicious, give up the workrate a little for sharper, better placed and setup shots; at least that is what i would have done, potshot/jab/short combos and tried to get him to come to me, not try to close in on him and get picked off (which seemed to be when he got u the best..when u came in he would time u, then get u going back and open up on u.) An since ur not good at combinations and just throwing flurries or single shots, its better to be def or look to counter w/jabs/leads; make him come in, the only thing i would have really thrown alot of is the jab. U can never throw enough of those... it maintains range, blunts off, and keeps their timing, dist and rhythm off.

not bad-im not saying u will be a fighter or anything-but u can handle urself fairly well

the guy in white gloves kept throwing the same combo at you. the reason it worked is because he's hitting low and high setting up each move.

you keep throwing one or two moves and then stay in the "pocket" which is why you become an easy target.

You need to be less telegraphic and learn to set up moves and combos. Also learn proper footwork so you don't become a punching/kicking bag.

Other than that, looks like you guys had some fun.

So does your brother blend his TKD with is Muay Thai? cause it seems like he was using TKD mixed with some boxing to fight you. Didn't see much muay thai from him, maybe a couple leg checks here and there, but thats about it.

Seems your bro is very flexible and light on his feet (From his TKD training i'd imagine), you could definitely use that against him if you timed your leg kicks to sweep his support leg if he stays on one leg too long.

I have tons and tons more advice for you homie, but i'm at work, so i'll wait till i get home. Take care.

Hey phengeng,

Pretty cool!

- I know the room's too small, but still don't throw something and then stay there. Get in, throw, get out. If you throw and then "stay in the pocket", unless you have the intention of infighting, bad times...
- throw uppercuts, man. Both you and your brother have that whack MT open guard (I guess it's maybe protect against kicks more than a boxing guard, but you should totally throw a 5-6 up the middle)
- Throw more creative combos, hehe :)
- Don't leave your head down and push forward
- On a related note if you guys are ever "clinched" next time you should take a step back and I recommend this combo: 3-4 to the body then 3-4 to the head. Your bro WILL drop his guard after the first 3-4 to the body and then you'll whack him in the head.
- On that related note seems there weren't many body shots thrown. Gotta throw bodyshots to drop their guard. It looks like your brother dodged a lot of headshots from you. So go to the body.
- Your brother's got a lazy jab. You should capitalize on that: either parry it forcefully and throw immediately back so he can't get his guard back up in time, or just eat it and throw over it.

- Most of all, that stance your brother's doing, I'm not all expert or anything but compared to guys I spar with who use that stance, your brother ain't doing it right. In boxing people use that stance sometimes to throw jabs and lead hand hooks from weird angles to catch their opponent off guard. (this one guy I know LOVES that stance while backpedaling and throwing potshots) Also I don't think he's deflecting shots with his lead shoulder (but then it looks like he doesn't need to lol), and his rear hand is in a whack position too :)

On the jab thing, I think you should just start your workouts with a round of just jabbing. Fucking pump that jab out whenever he gets in range. But I mean, stiff jabs, with authority.

Do you have a double end bag in your home gym? If so, circle around the double end bag pumping jabs and practicing getting in and out of range. Pop! Get out of range. Pop pop double jab, get out of range or followup if you've created an opening. The jab WILL create openings. That bag will teach you angles with jabs as you hit it differently and watch it react differently

Being able to jab w/ angles = massive WIN At my kickboxing gym, the enormous hand tech difference between people with boxing backgrounds and those without (in my humble opinion) all ends up in the ability of boxers to throw punches at whack ass angles

Back