Holiday home gym projects

dfoster

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Had about a day to myself so I thought I'd try a couple of fun projects people have been talking about. Wanted to make a medicine ball but since I'd have to buy a 50lb sand bag anyway, I might as well make 3: 10, 15 and 25lbs if the balls are not too expensive. Turned out I had an old basketball in the garage, it's worn out but still pretty firm and no cracks so it'll have to do. Below is the material list:

2 x Wal Mart B. Ball: $3.50 each
50 lbs home depot all purpose sand $2.15
Rubber Cement: $2.19
Bicycle inner tube: $2.87 (couldn't find a puncture kit with large enough rubber patches so I had to improvise)
Total: ~ $15

IMG_6400.jpg

I used a soda bottle as funnel so I had to cut an X in the ball large enough for the neck to go through (got this idea from a member here) I filled the funnel up with sand and use a socket extension rod to stir/poke/push the sand through. It went down really fast:

IMG_6406.jpg

I periodically put the ball on the scale while filling to check for correct weight:

IMG_6414.jpg

Then patched it and wrapped duct tape around to prevent the elements from peeling the edges. These are the balls with their weights indicated on top. They all look like Boy Georges's head but I can learn to ignore that

IMG_6420.jpg

After thoughts: The old basketball is the toughest of the 3 so I used it for the 22lbs (I was told 23lbs was the max capacity but couldn't get it there. The wal mart balls are way too thin. When I cut the X's on them, there is only 1 more layer underneath whereas the old ball has about 4 or 5. I'd say they're only strong enough for about 10lbs. Anything heavier you gotta get a stronger ball. I won't use them for slamming so I'm pretty sure they'll hold up. Using a large funnel with a large whole is the fastest way to go. Average fill time is about 7 min. The 22lb ball took about 12, most of it was on the last 5lbs.

I also made a pair of parallettes siince they look so much fun
I got these from Home Depot:

2 x 10'x11/2" PCV tube $5.11 each
4 T's (around $1 each)
4 L's ~ $1 each
8 end cap ~ $1 each
PCV glue & primer ~ $5
Total: $35

Thank God I got a reciprocating saw, otherwise I would not have even thought about the idea. The cutting was fairly easy once you get used to cutting plastic pipes.
Cross members: 24"
Vertical bars: 12"
Base segments: 7"

I increased the sizes from the typical recommendation because I wanted the option of doing dips and full ROM on my handstand pushups. Here's the end product:

IMG_6419.jpg

After thoughts: The gluing was very messy esp. since you have to do it in 30s before it sets. Making sure the ends fit all the way and at the right angles was the hardest part. I tried to completely clean off the excess glue at first but didn't see the point of making them pretty. They're fun to look at but not sure if it was worth the time and cost.

Since I got some experience from the parallettes I went and did a similar thing for my dad. You might recall that I started a workout program for him since he fell. He had made progress on his core and legs. I've been trying to work on his upperbody, we use wall pushup for pushing movements but had no way of doing pulling movements. I thought about a pull up bar but since he can not do a complete pull up, it would have to be lower than his shoulders so he can have the option of using his legs.

Anyways, I spent a little more on this since I didn't want him to fall again because of some makeshift equipment. This is what I got from Home Depot:

3/4 x 48" pipe nipples (vertical bars)
3/4 x 36" nipple (cross member)
3/4 x 18" base segments
T's, L's and end caps
Total cost: $56.00

Here's the end product:

IMG_6418.jpg

The hardest thing about this is adjusting to make sure they're screwed in at the right angles. I tested it myself and it held pretty good. Can't wait to bring it over to him.
It was exhausting. It's gonna be a while until I tinker with any home gym stuff again

Looks like you had a similar weekend to mine. You made gym eqipment. I helped a friend renovate the local boxing gym where he runs his S&C business out of. Started Friday night and mostly finished by yesterday evening. Exhausting but well worth it.

I'd say you did all right. thanks for the shout out on the x idea. A question tho. Since the lighter balls are the same size of the 22 pounder. Does the sand move around when you throw them and stuff? I'm thinking about making lighter ones but I want them to be firm like a full one. I'm having trouble finding those miniature basketballs

Good thread. I'm big on DIY. WTG !!!

I'd say you did all right. thanks for the shout out on the x idea. A question tho. Since the lighter balls are the same size of the 22 pounder. Does the sand move around when you throw them and stuff? I'm thinking about making lighter ones but I want them to be firm like a full one. I'm having trouble finding those miniature basketballs

Thanks for showing it to me :) Yeah, the sand does move around. I looked at smaller basket balls (juniors, womens'). They look like they would do the job fine. I went with the Wal mart ones because they were the cheapest.

Thanks for showing it to me :) Yeah, the sand does move around. I looked at smaller basket balls (juniors, womens'). They look like they would do the job fine. I went with the Wal mart ones because they were the cheapest.

I see.. I'm still trying to find those miniature ones they give away at carnivals and stuff like that. No luck so far. My neighbor might get his ugly Kansas University one jacked if he leaves it out side :icon_twis

Can I make a suggestion? If the duct tape wears out, or you don't want the sticky mess, after the sand is in, tuck a piece of flat rubber sheet into the hole (avail at hardware stores) and flatten it out under the X. Lift the flaps of the X and squirt Shoe Goop under them, and press them onto the rubber underneath. This should seal really well (its similar to patching a tire from the inside) and not leave any tape mess.
hope this helps...

Awesome job man, I've been toying around with the idea of homemade medicine balls myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

Can I make a suggestion? If the duct tape wears out, or you don't want the sticky mess, after the sand is in, tuck a piece of flat rubber sheet into the hole (avail at hardware stores) and flatten it out under the X. Lift the flaps of the X and squirt Shoe Goop under them, and press them onto the rubber underneath. This should seal really well (its similar to patching a tire from the inside) and not leave any tape mess.
hope this helps...

Thanks man. I patched it with rubber and rubber cement underneath the tape. Before that, I also tried putting a rubber piece with cement on the inside of the X but could not make it stay there. May be I'm not dexterous enough.

Thanks man. I patched it with rubber and rubber cement underneath the tape. Before that, I also tried putting a rubber piece with cement on the inside of the X but could not make it stay there. May be I'm not dexterous enough.

LOL you tried.... well okay, I know THAT doesn't work .... :D

still good job man... always like to see someone creating what they need....

hope this helps...

that is a damn good idea....

Nice job, dfoster.

Makes me want to build something.

This makes me think I should really make another medicine ball. My last one exploded.

Good job dfoster, that pullup bar is really nice.

use a soccar ball, or fill it with cotton to fill it out, buy those little plastic balls kid play with (no, i don't mean michael jackson's). or a volleyball. anything will do....

Last time I was at the zoo was like crazy turtle day. The big goofy ones with the spines were fighting. The little ones were having an orgy, and a big land tortoise thing decided he was getting the hell out of dodge at like 1 mph, all the zoo keepers were running in circles around him with rakes trying to get him to turn around, and he was all like "No way".

Back