Hit things, lift things, drink beer.

07/09/2021:

Conditioning: LISS

7.06km run. Made sure to take it as easy as possible. Asthmatic and wheezy, had to really slow down to keep my HR where I wanted it from 3-6km. Last km pushed the pace more and more as it went, sprinted the last few hundred meters to the finish. Average HR 158bpm, max HR 192bpm. Average split 5:31/km, total time 38:52.

09/09/2021:

Strength and conditioning:

KB windmill:
24kg x 6/side x 3

KB high plank pull-through:
24kg x 6/side x 3

KB single-arm overhead press:
24kg x 5/side x 4

Contralateral rack KB single-leg reverse lunge into sprinter pose:
24kg x 10/side x 3

Pull-ups:
BW x 10, 8, 7, 6, 8 reps

Deficit KB stiff-legged deadlift:
24kg x 10 x 3

Conditioning: Sprint intervals
Same sprints as last time, approximately 21-23 seconds each rep, maybe 140-150ish meters? First 70 or so meters uphill. First interval HR finished on 155ish, by last one was finishing on 175 for first few seconds of recovery. Walked back to the start for recovery. First effort, HR was dropping below 120 on the recovery - by the last one, was lucky to get back below 140. Average HR for the session, 152bpm. Max HR 175. 10 sets total.

PM session:

Cardio: LISS
A nice alternative to the running today - set a timer for 20 x 2-minute rounds, no rest between. Alternated between rounds of skipping and shadow boxing. Good way to keep the heart rate at a consistent, reasonable level, while keeping a varied training stimulus, and working on something sport-specific at the same time.

Yesterday was a big ol' "no" day - woke up to torrential rain, and lots of wind. Around lunch, decided it was a "sit on the couch and drink beer" kind of day. Just chilled out. It was good to have decent enough weather to get a couple of training sessions done today. We got a good bit of weight to lose, and fitness to gain still. I just wanna punch people in the face again though :'( Fuck lockdown. Ugh.

No updates, but have been keeping active.

15/09/2021:

Cardio

8.8km run. Went a different route than usual, which included a few more hills, especially at the start of the run. This meant my HR crept up early on in the run and became quite difficult to lower. Settled to just get through it at a moderate to higher intensity. Total time 47:52, average split 5:28/km. Average HR 168bpm, max HR 188.

Finished with:
Pull-ups: 9,7, 7, 7 reps
then
20 push-ups, 30 sit-ups, 3 sets of each, alternating

Okay. Mentally, it's been a fuck of a week, but we're back.

22/09/2021:

Conditioning:

20 minutes of:
10 single-arm KB clean and press from floor (alternate hands each rep)
10 push-ups
15 kettlebell swings
10 sit-ups

This got real yuck real quick. A week of doing fuck all and drinking a few too many beers will do that to you. Wanted to get a good run in, but I didn't trust the weather outside, so settled for doing this indoors.

23/09/2021:

An evening run for a change of pace. 7.02km on a belly full of Irn Bru and NY-style pepperoni pizza. Not an attractive time. Time was 41:58. Average HR 158bpm, max 172. Focused on actually trying to keep a lower heart rate this time, which was a good thing, because anything else and I may have lost the first slices of pizza I've had in 2 months.

27/09/2021:

7.02km. Total time 40:26, average split pace 5:46/km. Average HR 152bpm, max HR 170bpm. This was probably the best run I've had in a while in terms of controlling my heart rate and keeping it in the right zone. Still sat over 160 on a few of the uphill sections, but was mainly able to bring it back where I wanted without too much trouble. Felt really fresh after. Finished with 30 pull-ups total, then 3 sets each of 20 push-ups and 30 sit-ups.

06/10/2021:

Cardio:

7.02km run, usual route. 37:46 for a 5:23 average split per km. No HR data. Felt really good first 4-5km, really dragged for last km or two. Everything has been a bit yucky this last week or two, especially the mental health side of things. Lockdown can get fucked. Ugh.

06/10/2021:

Cardio:

7.02km run, usual route. 37:46 for a 5:23 average split per km. No HR data. Felt really good first 4-5km, really dragged for last km or two. Everything has been a bit yucky this last week or two, especially the mental health side of things. Lockdown can get fucked. Ugh.
Get some more Irn Bru in you mate! Seriously though, hope you feel better soon

Get some more Irn Bru in you mate! Seriously though, hope you feel better soon

Irn Bru will come soon - coffee first though haha.

Cheers mate. It's the same for a lot of people living in Auckland at the moment, I think - all we can really do is take it as it goes. Working on implementing some better structure at home to possibly help as well.

A token update now that I'm back to trying to do things.

01/11/2021:

Conditioning:

6.13km run, steady state. Total time 35:25. Average pace 5:47/km. Not a good-feeling run, but at least it was something. Felt some real bad niggling down through ham/glute on left leg, so eased off at that 6km point and walked the rest of the way home. Once home, and feeling fine:

7 minutes of:
10 kettlebell swings @ 24kg
10 push-ups

No idea how many rounds, but it was a good, short, sharp way to get a little extra done.

03/11/2021:

Strength:

Deadlifts:
50kg x 8 x 2
100kg x 5 x 3 (speed)

Close-grip bench:
50kg x 8 x 2
65kg x 4 x 4

Band-resisted single-arm DB row:
17.5kg x 6/arm
20kg x 6/arm x 2

Off-bench glute raise:
BW x 8 x 3

Band pull-apart:
100 reps total

Hanging leg raise:
BW x 15 x 3

04/11/2021:

Cardio:

8.29km, 48:36 total, 5:52 split. No HR data. Hard run today. Started off, and RPE for the pace was way up. 2km in, found a toilet, and that helped ease things a little, but still felt a lot harder than normal. Around 3.5km in, up some stairs, then continued uphill for the next km or so. Downhill for a little over a km again, then just over 2km flat to finish. I can definitely tell that I haven't been running lately. Yucky. Had a mate who was leading the way - it was really good to actually have a training partner for a change. Will definitely look to this again soon (although maybe not this route, fuck you Shaun).

05/11/2021:

Conditioning:

Just a short little circuit after work, before going to pick up dinner and catch up with a mate.

5 rounds:
10 kettlebell swing
10 push-ups
10 KB goblet squat
10 high plank pull-throughs

More explosive movement first. General strength movements next. Whole-body tension/core/anti-rotation movement last. It was a fun little circuit.

11/11/2021:

Strength:

Sneaky wee driveway session
Warm-up:
T-spine windmill, 3/3/side
KB windmill, 5/side @ 24kg
Hip airplanes, 3/side
High-plank pull-through, 6/side @ 24kg
Single leg RDL, 8/side @ BW
Single-leg lateral hop, 4/side x 2

Single-arm KB press:
24kg x 5/side x 4

Pull-ups:
BW x 8, 6, 6, 5 reps

Ipsilateral KB reverse lunge w/ sprinter's pose:
24kg x 8/side x 3

Goblet cyclist's squat, 3-sec eccentric:
24kg x 3

12/11/2021:

Steady wee jog. 7.35km, 41:11, 5:36/km average split pace. HR was 157bpm average, 186 max on the hard last push. Nice to notice some difference in cardio over the past couple of weeks since picking back up again. Ran to Garage Project's cellar door, picked up a couple beers, then strolled to a nearby wee sandwich joint, which a dude is running out of his garage on a residential street. Had a pretty baller chicken burgie. Great recovery fuel.

13/11/2021:

Muay Thai:

Drove to a mate's place and trained in his garage a bit. Shadow boxed briefly, then into pad rounds. One slightly shorter round, then 3 x 3-minute rounds, finished with a quick power/endurance drill. Switched over, and held for 3 x 3-minute rounds. From there, into some drills, showing techniques for setting up elbows, coming in from the outside, as well as using knees to break concentration/grip to set up for short elbows inside the clinch. From there, 3 x 3-minute rounds of sparring, a short break, then another 3 x 3-minute rounds of sparring. Finished with some body conditioning and a couple sets of sit-ups. Really good wee session.

18/11/2021:

Strength:

Muscle-up from L-sit:
BW x 2 x 5 sets

Ring dips + ring support leg raise:
BW x 5 + 5 x 4

Hinge rows:
BW x 6 x 4

Fun little play on the new gym rings in the sun. Holy shit I don't know that I've ever struggled with muscle-ups like this before. It's been so, so long since I did any of this stuff.

Cardio:

6.5km run with big boi Shaun, immediately after I wrapped up my little bit of gymnastics-y work. 37:10 total, average split of 5:43/km. Quite a nice, gentle wee jog, although it definitely took a bit of warming up to find my feet. By the time we hit the 4-5k mark I felt like we could have pushed it out pretty well.

25/11/2021:

Muay Thai:

Still alive. Still doing things. Just not great at updating this is all. Yesterday, did a good sparring session with 3 fighters from City Kickboxing. 12 x 3-minute rounds, 2 rounds with one partner, then rotate. Trained inside of a garage with the clothes dryer going. I was quite the moist man by the end of it. Really good rounds though. All of the guys from yesterday were pretty high-level fighters for this country. Definitely good people to work with for me, helping me re-learn what I'm doing, and challenging me for any mistakes made.

03/12/2021:

Strength:

Warmed up with a bunch of mobility drills.

Single leg lateral hop:
BW x 4/leg x 4

Hang power snatch:
30kg x 5
40kg x 3
45kg x 3
50kg x 3 x 3

Deadlift:
60kg x 5
100kg x 5
130kg x 4
150kg x 3 x 3

Military press:
Bar x 8
30kg x 6
40kg x 6
42.5kg x 6 x 3

Chin-up:
BW x 6
10kg x 4 x 3
BW x 8

Walking lunge w/sprinter pose:
20kg/side x 6/leg x 4

Band pull-aparts:
50 reps total

Everything felt yucky and heavy but golly it feels good to be back in the gym <3

04/12/2021:

Muay Thai:

Sparring session after teaching classes for a couple of hours. Warmed everyone up with a round of jab only sparring, which turned into lead hand only sparring for the second half of the round. Next round was a round of kick-only sparring. From there, into just normal free sparring rounds. All rounds were 3 minutes, 60 seconds rest. After nearly 4 months out of the gym, I have never seen so many guys on the verge of throwing up in a session. After 40 minutes or so of sparring, 15 minutes of clinching, changing partners every few minutes. Finished the session with 100 kicks each leg, 150 knees, 50 sit-ups. and some push-ups. Great to be back.

Back