• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hips and what they mean to me

nice, thanks guys. i've realised i don't have anything in my stretching routine at the moment so will add these in

Keep in mind that with ankle mobility the problem is typically with dorsiflexion, which is when your shin comes closer to your foot like if you're picking your toes up off the floor (the opposite of a calf raise, think walking on your heels).

Keep in mind that with ankle mobility the problem is typically with dorsiflexion, which is when your shin comes closer to your foot like if you're picking your toes up off the floor (the opposite of a calf raise, think walking on your heels).
So, if I can fully extend my leg and keep my foot at a 90 degree angle to it, my ankle mobility is likely OK?

So, if I can fully extend my leg and keep my foot at a 90 degree angle to it, my ankle mobility is likely OK?

Stand in front of a wall with one foot forward, one back. Put the toes of the forward foot a few inches away from the wall, then bend that knee and try to push the knee against the wall without the heel coming off the ground. You want to be able to do this with the toe around 4 inches away from the wall.

You can also lay with both feet flat against the wall, then pull the toes of one foot back so they come away from the wall without moving the heel from the wall. You should be able to pull them far enough off the wall that the toes of the other foot can fit in the space. Test both feet with both of these tests.

Bump.

It took me forever to upload this because I'm backed up on stuff, but I have a very relevant short sparring clip of what hips COULD mean to anyone. Mike is a guy trained by Merqui, and he's got a lot of experience. But he's not nearly as fast as Daijon is. However, after the first round you'll see him start to very intelligently negate Daijon's speed, movement, AND punching confidence by engaging his hips and making very nice neat movements. Daijon basically turns into a sitting duck even though Mike doesn't do a whole lot with the initiative, it's still there to see:

*******BECAUSE ALL BLACK PEOPLE WITH HEADGEAR LOOK THE SAME AND ARE INDISCERNABLE BY DESCRIBING HOW THEY FIGHT OR WHAT IS HAPPENING, DAIJON IS THE SOUTHPAW FIGHTER WHO I AM TALKING TO IN THE CORNER AS OPPOSED TO THE ORTHODOX FIGHTER (WHO SWITCHES SOMETIMES) MERQUI SOSA IS SPEAKING TO IN THE OTHER CORNER. DAIJON IS MY FIGHTER WHO HAS BEEN SHOWN IN ABOUT 20 VIDEOS HERE, MIKE IS THE GUY WHO HASN'T BEEN.

Last edited:
I'm looking at two fighters of similar complexion. Daijon is your dude in your corner, right?

Oh yeah, let me edit to CLARIFY.

I don't know who Merqui is either without reference. Since you usually don't label your fighters anymore, searching recent videos really doesn't help me or anyone else. Remember how blind I am to hip movement... I've only recently conceptualized it. Idk if you're being funny or really frustrated, but I appreciate you telling me who is who.

Yes, the other guy's lack of everything good, specifically around the hip area.

Bump.

It took me forever to upload this because I'm backed up on stuff, but I have a very relevant short sparring clip of what hips COULD mean to anyone. Mike is a guy trained by Merqui, and he's got a lot of experience. But he's not nearly as fast as Daijon is. However, after the first round you'll see him start to very intelligently negate Daijon's speed, movement, AND punching confidence by engaging his hips and making very nice neat movements. Daijon basically turns into a sitting duck even though Mike doesn't do a whole lot with the initiative, it's still there to see:

*******BECAUSE ALL BLACK PEOPLE WITH HEADGEAR LOOK THE SAME AND ARE INDISCERNABLE BY DESCRIBING HOW THEY FIGHT OR WHAT IS HAPPENING, DAIJON IS THE SOUTHPAW FIGHTER WHO I AM TALKING TO IN THE CORNER AS OPPOSED TO THE ORTHODOX FIGHTER (WHO SWITCHES SOMETIMES) MERQUI SOSA IS SPEAKING TO IN THE OTHER CORNER. DAIJON IS MY FIGHTER WHO HAS BEEN SHOWN IN ABOUT 20 VIDEOS HERE, MIKE IS THE GUY WHO HASN'T BEEN.

That's racist.

Lol no but really that's a fantastic example. Mike starts moving his head around subtly and suddenly Daijon can't hit him. Then while Daijon is trying to figure out how, he punches out of the positions he gets. There was one really nice right hand lead he had after a little shift in that direction. Great coaching though, I loved how you were like "his head's not there" Daijon swings and misses "I told you it's not there" haha, but Daijon adapted well jabbing lower at your instruction.

Also I first mentioned this after seeing his sparring against Mikey, but I like how Daijon looks when he's walking somebody down a lot. And his jab is awesome.

yep daijon is my favourite of your guys, he's coming along nicely. much more confident / rooted instead of jumpy and i always enjoy a southpaw that jabs. the other guy had more subtle movement and shifts while daijon more stationary in the hips.. but his

.. long hook is nice, i think he could use it a lot more.

That was Mike being nice, though. He has a whole other gear that Daijon honestly isn't ready for yet.

That was Mike being nice, though. He has a whole other gear that Daijon honestly isn't ready for yet.

yeah, sure. he looks disciplined. imo the way he moves for me is pretty ideal, sitting low with bent knees, between his legs..his upper body can flaot between the hips.. and quite wide stance when he sat at daijon at around 3:30. good stuff.

Why was Babba banned?

I'm back, with a keschin (sorry all you non-native English speakers who don't get that).

When we talk about hip motion, we talk about flexion and extension... but what about abduction and adduction? I'm talking about pulling myself around by twisting my leg. If I stood on one leg and tried to make my upper body rotate by turning my foot and leg... that's what I'm talking about. Should I be using this?

I made a video, mostly for NSVermin cuz he likes them so much, of me doing what I think I'm supposed to be incorporating. Anyone care to open a discussion with me as to if I'm on the right track?

Again, I apologize for the video/audio failure to sync... but it shouldn't really matter here.

You're turning, but not folding as much as you should. Especially to that left side, it seems.

As to your question, you are supposed to turn your body AND fold your hip, not one or the other. When you slip left, your shoulders should become mostly square and you sink into that left hip a little. Your butt will stick out very slightly to the right so that your head can track over your left knee (or thereabouts). To the right, you should be blading your upper body slightly more than usual, and sinking into the right hip, which also feels a little bit like pulling back, but is not as exaggerated as an actual pull.

Babba, like many others, couldn't avoid other parts of the board and being antagonistic towards other posters.

Be careful with exercises where your legs are doing the brunt of the work, and the hips are along for the ride. If you want to work the hips, work the actual hip joint itself, with any leg movement as secondary.

Back