Highschool wrestling plz help

D

Dave321

Hi. I'm going to be a junior in highschool next year and im considering taking up wresting as a sport. Im pretty unethletic, pretty fat (135ish not much muscle) and pretty short (5'5 ish). Can someone please explain the basic and advanced aspects of basic wrestling. I'm a huge mma fan and I sometimes I "roll" with my brother. Im not trying to say I know ANYTHING but the basics of BJJ. I love it though and I'm looking for a good sport and wresting seems to be the closest thing. I live in a shithole of a town so no BJJ classes aviable. PLEASE someone post basic rules of wresting how you win etc(lol). It would be much appreciated. Please also tell how much practice/training i would need to do daily. THANK YOU very much

Also one more thing, i plan on getting in shape but is it a advantage or disadvantage to be short/stalky compared to tall/thin.

Lift a little weight and work on cardio. Try to find somebody from your school who you know that wrestles and have them work with you a while to teach you the basics. You pick it up pretty quick.

lots of cardio, trust me i know, i went into my senior year out of shape, (cardio wise) and it fuckin killed me, if your not in good shape, youll be gassed by the middle of the 1st period, watch the full nelsons, illegal were i live in wv, if in bottom position, keep a low point of balance, i chew gum right b4 a match and swallow it b4 the ref blows the whistle to keep my mouth moist, but i wouldnt recommend that, lol, lcd is right lift a good bit, mostly compound movements, eat a healthy diet, find someone who wrestles and get them to help ya out a bit, best of luck with your first season man, if ya need ne more advice, my screen name is koartist01, also my friend dave is an outstanding wrestler, check out his website for tips and stuff, its zengrappling.com

good to start now, its not going to be easy but nothing worth while ever is.
Work slow and let your body adap.. try to cut out crappy foods. You know what foods are bad for you. Diets are mostly common sense.. Work hard and youll love it.

Youll be happy you did after the first competition. Cool to hear your rolling for fun, but if youve never tained under someone who knows then it isnt the basics.. Its just LRW living room wrestling.... i have a black belt in it but it doesnt count for much.

Thank you guys very much for your responses. And one more thing. I know the goal isnt to hurt people but lets say you suplex someone do you try to really slam them or just go for the points. I never really got that with wrestling. Do you really go to slam them so there tired/hurt or just to put them on the ground. This probably sounds like an absolutely dumb question but I REALLY dont know the basics. Like in BJJ you make someone submit, in Boxing you knock someone out, but how do you win in wrestling. THX YOU for the responses please help me out. I really dont know shit about wrestling.

wrestling u win by pin or points, put your opponents back to the mat and squash him. unlike bjj they can't choke u so u want to be on ur stomach if ur on the bottom.

it helps a lot if you know how wrestling looks like, before you start training. since you are an MMAer u have an idea how you should look like when you do the moves, and this should be a plus.

i think everything u can learn. just get fit before season begins. run, lift, etc.

There are no suplexes in HS wrestling. It is called folkstyle wrestling. You win by pinning your opponents shoulders to the mat. Theres no submissions or slams. Basically anything thats potentially dangerous.

For cardio, do jump rope and interval running, which is sprint for a set distance (say 50-100 yards) then jog for a minute, then repeat. For weightlifting, do compound movements. FCFighter316 was correct, try to be as lean as possible, try to be all muscle, as high school wrestling basicaaly comes down to whos in better shape and who has more heart. Good luck with your training.

There are no suplexes in HS wrestling. It is called folkstyle wrestling. You win by pinning your opponents shoulders to the mat. Theres no submissions or slams. Basically anything thats potentially dangerous, is illegal, and the ref will call you for it.

For cardio, do jump rope and interval running, which is sprint for a set distance (say 50-100 yards) then jog for a minute, then repeat. For weightlifting, do compound movements. FCFighter316 was correct, try to be as lean as possible, try to be all muscle, as high school wrestling basicaaly comes down to whos in better shape and who has more heart. Good luck with your training.

could some of you guys give some examples on some drills that people can do for takedowns?
It seems like a lot of these things are common exercises on the boards but i can never find any from the search function or even from google without someone trying to sell me something. Some basic drills like sprawls and shots would be awesome as i am in somewhat of the same situation that Dave is in.

It dosnt matter if you dont know anything about wrestling iam pretty sure the coaches will fill you in i say you give it a shot its a very good sport !!!!!!!

Well, damn. I really thought the only part of the HS wrestling would be the slams lol. Well thx you very much for the advice fcfighter and the others.

Just to let you know.

Wrestling.
Is.
Effing.
TOUGH.

You will never find a more physically exhausting sport (although MMA is pretty close). You'll like wrestling; it's so much cooler than any other high school sport, but get ready to be in the best shape of your entire life. I've been wrestling longer than I've been doing stand-up and submissions, and I still say that the fight for the takedown is THE most physically exhausting part of combat. Forget punch flurries, forget the fight for the submission. If you're fighting an equally skilled wrestler for the takedown, it takes so much out of you. It takes all of your strength, and all of your speed. I have guy at my gym wiho tap from fatigue when they roll with me, because of the shape I'm in from high school wrestling.

Lift weights. And when you do cardio, do anaerobic routines. Very important. Wrestling matches are only 6 minutes long, so trust me when I say this, your opponents will not be pacing themselves. They're conditioned to go all-out for those 6 minutes. (Although I will say, in my experience, wrestling coaches aren't always the most knowledgable when it comes to cross-training for conditioning. Don't leave it up to them. Take the initiative to learn better running routines.)

When you step onto the mat to wrestle, be prepared for an all-out drive. You need to be warming up before your match, and when you go out to wrestle, you should have sweat dripping off of your forehead. Trust me when I say that. That is of major importance. If you're sitting around before your match (you'll either be tired from a full day of school or from getting up early to go to the meet), you'll be yawning when you go onto the mat, and you'll get your ass kicked if your opponent is ready. So be warming up, and NEVER be intimidated. That is the absolute worst thing. Forgive me if I'm wrong, and I am completely not a racist, but I am guessing, based on your description, that you are a slightly short, kind of out-of-shape white kid. If you step onto the mat with a muscular inner-city black kid, DO NOT be intimidated. I have nothing against African-Americans; I'm friends with plenty of them, so please don't misinterpret that. But sometimes, for some reason, inner-city black kids just intimidate suburbian white kids. Never, ever let your opponent's physique, skin color; nothing should intimidate you. You need to treat every opponent like he threatened to kill your family, robbed your house, kicked your dog, beat up your girlfriend, and is trying to steal something from you. Of course, no punching or biting, but instead, use legal moves to beat his ass. Use nasty tricks (that are legal) like your chin or crossfaces. Crossfacing is a big skill in wrestling that carries over nicely into BJJ. But seriously. Never doubt yourself for a second, and even if the kid is jacked out of his mind, you need to believe that you can beat the shit out of him.

Regarding that, let me tell you a little story that happened to me last year in my sophomore year of high school wrestling. Now, I'm not the most amazing wrestler, but my coach has told me that I have really good potential, and I'm really working on it. My biggest problem in the past has been the different tricks of competition, because I never did sports until 8th grade. I would come out onto the mat not warmed up, and I was easily intimidated. Towards the middle/end of my sophomore year, I finally started figuring out competition, and I never lost a match after that. We were at a meet in Lowell, and I wrestled two kids who I truly believe would have beaten me had I not figured out the mentality I should have in competition. The first kid DEFINITELY outweighed me. JV can get fucked up like that. Everyone on my team told me, he must've weighed at least 185, and I was 160. I didn't get intimidated though; instead, I ended up getting on his back, and when he wouldn't go over, I started crossfacing the hell out of him. Ended up pinning him in a Saturday Night Ride (wrestling name for a mount). I always instinctively move into the mount because of BJJ. lol. So anyways, my next match was against this big inner-city African American kid. I know that if this had been earlier in the year, I would've been intimidated because of a stupid reason like looks. Instead, I looked that kid in the eye, and within maybe 5 seconds, I got a single leg, slammed his ass down on the mat, and ripped him up in a half nelson as tight as I could. He started gagging and saying "GET THE FUCK OFF ME, I CAN'T FUCKIN BREATHE." I loosened up a little bit, to be nice, and he started squirming away, so I told myself, screw that, and just squeezed as hard as I could until he was pinned. The kid was so mad that he didn't even shake my hand, but later on he came back and apologized. Still, the JV squad was giving me high fives, and were telling other kids on the team "Thornton beat the shit out of this huge black kid!" Not that we're racist or anything. It's just the intimidation factor at work.

Regarding the comment about wrestling being more about muscle and less about technique; it depends how you look at it. Compared to BJJ with a gi, yes, wrestling is WAY more about muscle. Compared to No Gi BJJ, wrestling is a little bit more about muscle. But wrestling definitely has technique. You still NEED technique, and I mean need. You will not get anywhere with just muscle. One thing people don't understand about wrestlers is that there's more to us than serious conditioning and strength. Wrestlers can actually be not that strong, but when you fight them, they will seem really strong, because they can hold a position really well. Wrestlers are very difficult to sweep or reverse from a mount, because they're really good at balancing. After all, think about it; the entire sport is putting someone on their back. It's going to be hard as hell to beat a wrestler at that game. But wrestling requires lots of technique, and balance is going to help a lot, too.

I recommend you do what I do when I'm learning martial arts. Buy a book or instructional video. You won't be an awesome wrestler just from reading a book, but I guarantee it will help you. You'll be ahead of the game, and you'll have a better understanding of the moves. www.budovideos.com has great books and videos. Check out the wrestling books and videos. (They have stuff by Randy Couture and Darrell Gholar; but I'd recommend getting an actual wrestling instructional. The cover or case should have wrestlers in singlets and headgear.)

So remember. Wrestling is a tough-ass sport. During the first few weeks, you will be dying. A lot of good coaches will make the first few weeks really hard, to weed out the wimps. Don't be one of them. If 60 kids join the team, 60 kids have the potential to make the team; the ones who quit are the ones who give up. So never give up, because you can do it. And I promise that you will get in better shape, and you will get tougher. Remember to train hard; you need to train like you have the biggest match of your entire life coming up. Lift, SPRINT, swim, jump rope; make your workouts short and INTENSE. http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=251run2 These running routines are great for wrestling. Follow their program.

When you step onto the mat for competition, remember to be warmed up and sweaty, and be ready to physically impose your will on your opponent. NEVER be intimidated by ANYONE. Not even if it's King Kong. Always believe that you can and will beat the hell out of your opponent, and that you are a madman. Always be ready to go 100%. If you go even 99%, someone will beat you because they were going that extra 1%. Give your heart and soul in every match that you wrestle in. Good luck, and remember the most important thing: have fun. When you're drowning in sweat, and your shirt is soaked from bloody noses, you might not think you're having fun, but what's fun is the entire journey. Wrestling will make you a different person, and hey, instead of playing a pointless game like basketball or winter track, you get to wrestle.

Thank you very much for that lengthy response. I read all of it and found it helpful. I think i might join the team now but i dont want to do it half assed now lol. So either i prolly won't do it at all or go crazy with it. Still gotta decide. My parents both work so we eat take out seriously constantly. I dont eat McDonalds because that crap is just nasty. I eat some pizza, fried chicked, more fried chicken, and some junk food. Got any ideas on some easy/decent tasting foods/diet. Thank you very much.

youre going to need to do an overhaul of your entire diet if you plan on wrestling. making weight is a big deal.

for now, id suggest eating lots of lean protein, fruits and veggies, and carbs mainly for pre-workout energy. try chicken, turkey, any fish, any green or orange veggies, fruits are good for unprocessed carbs (apples not that great, bananas are good for muscle soreness i hear) and whole wheat bread if you must.

Dave321 said:
Thank you very much for that lengthy response. I read all of it and found it helpful. I think i might join the team now but i dont want to do it half assed now lol. So either i prolly won't do it at all or go crazy with it. Still gotta decide. My parents both work so we eat take out seriously constantly. I dont eat McDonalds because that crap is just nasty. I eat some pizza, fried chicked, more fried chicken, and some junk food. Got any ideas on some easy/decent tasting foods/diet. Thank you very much.

Actually, I'm glad you mentioned this. I've had to fight a lot of battles at the kitchen table, and a lot of the stuff I know now, I wish I had known sooner.

Plain and simple, to lose weight, you need to eat less and exercise more. There are no secrets. But eat good food, because when you exercise a lot (wrestling), and you eat crap food, your body gets tired, sick, and injured because it tries to pull the nutrients it needs from the crappy food. So always try to fuel your body like it's a Ferrari (figuratively of course, no drinking gasoline).

However, except for a select few people, most people cannot stay on a healthy eating plan for very long. When they break down and eat a slice of pizza, they say "Ah crap, well, I messed up. I'll just eat whatever I want now and start over Monday." Bad choice. Very bad. It's bad for you mentally, and physically.

A much better choice, that I learned from Frank Shamrock and a book I have, is to establish a "Cheat day." On this cheat day, you can eat junk food. You can't eat it all day or anything, and you can't pig out, but you can eat junk. It's never the small amount of junk food that messes people up. It's that they start eating it, and figure screw it, they already ate crappy, and then they pig out. That's what gets you fat. But if you have a day planned ahead, then you don't feel deprived, and it makes resisting junk food on your healthy days easier. Just one day a week though.

Dave321 said:
Hi. I'm going to be a junior in highschool next year and im considering taking up wresting as a sport. Im pretty unethletic, pretty fat (135ish not much muscle) and pretty short (5'5 ish). Can someone please explain the basic and advanced aspects of basic wrestling. I'm a huge mma fan and I sometimes I "roll" with my brother. Im not trying to say I know ANYTHING but the basics of BJJ. I love it though and I'm looking for a good sport and wresting seems to be the closest thing. I live in a shithole of a town so no BJJ classes aviable. PLEASE someone post basic rules of wresting how you win etc(lol). It would be much appreciated. Please also tell how much practice/training i would need to do daily. THANK YOU very much

Cardio is your best friend. You will do so much cardio that you will have nightmares about treadmills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ufc925
Back