high tension bodyweight exercises

HitmanNO.1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
As it is common knowledge, high repetetion pushups, pullups, and other bw exercises are great for endurance and all aroudn strength. However, due to the lack of tension change they tend to pale in comparison to weights when it comes to brute strength. My question is this... If instead of sets of 50 pushups, would ten slow pushups help build more brute strength. By slower i mean pausing right before the bottom of the movement. Does anyone know??

dont think so. if you want more strength out of your bodyweight exercises, weight them with a backpack,vest whatever, or try a harder variation, like one arms and extended pushups. hope i helped

I agree with Mr. Spinkle here, if you want more bang for your buck on BW exercises, add more resistance in some fashion, the poster above made some great suggestions. Another thing I'd add is that I think bands would be a great addittion to many peoples BW regimes, especially when they are in the 50-100 rep range on something.

the best way to use bodyweight exercises for strength is to change leverage. look into some gymnastics exercises for that.

exactly, gymnastic excercises will make you real fucking strong.

Planche pushups and horizontal pullups will strengthen your whole upper body, abs and lower back bigtime.

Plyometric bodyweight movements will greatly help with power.

bodyweight exercises of any number are mainly only for endurance. if you want overall brute strength the only way to go is through weights, whether that means bodybuilding style lifts or bodyweight style exercises with resistance

True2KungFu said:
exactly, gymnastic excercises will make you real fucking strong.

Planche pushups and horizontal pullups will strengthen your whole upper body, abs and lower back bigtime.

I think I know what a planche push-up is, body remains straight(slightly arched back), and push your whole body off the ground?

Do you know a site with some basic instruction on doing them?

"bodyweight exercises of any number are mainly only for endurance. if you want overall brute strength the only way to go is through weights, whether that means bodybuilding style lifts or bodyweight style exercises with resistance"

How about neither, and doing real exercises with weights.

To add

I see that alot of guys who try to go with alot of reps with pushups and such will always sacrifice form hence you will see a lot of quarter movements

stick with quality over quantity

Sweet link. Good stuff. I'm going to see if I can work my 240lb self up to that plan and lever stuff. Man that would be scary.

planche looks pretty awsome.

tried the first level and man what an ab killer, definatly going into the program. i can do pistols, onehand pushups and extended arm pushups for many reps and i still found this fisrt level challenging at BW 185lb

while surfing that site ialso found a neat way to work up to one hand handstand pushups using static holds.

Push ups don't do brute strength, tension no matter what is to low. Heavy weights, Sandbags, etc will build that. If you want power, then thats strengthxSpeed. Do PUsh ups faster.

Duncon76 said:
Push ups don't do brute strength, tension no matter what is to low. Heavy weights, Sandbags, etc will build that. If you want power, then thats strengthxSpeed. Do PUsh ups faster.

you can alter pushups to build brute strength, as if the article above was not enough proof....try some handstand pushups...or raise your feet and do one armers...or try those frickin planche pushups if you can get into position...i think you will quickly change your mind

Back