Hex bar squats?

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
I don't see anything wrong with the lift, assuming good technique and intelligent programming(which is a prereq for every lift). It trains hip/knee extension under heavy load, while contracting virtually every muscle above your hips, isometrically.

It may be a good alternative for athletes, as well, given the relatively low amount of skill acquisition it takes to master the technique, and that it provides essentially the same benefits as squats/deads. Also, the joint angles are pretty consistent with the "athletic position", so it's arguable the ability to apply the strength gains to (most) sports is pretty high.

I've read that some pro athletes will use trap bar deadlifts because it allows them to develop adequate strength for their chosen sport, while being far less risky in terms of injury than deadlifting with a barbell.

Trap bars won't develop the same level of maximal strength as a straight bar. But that's only a factor for strength athletes. For everyone else, a trap bar is fine.

I've read that some pro athletes will use trap bar deadlifts because it allows them to develop adequate strength for their chosen sport, while being far less risky in terms of injury than deadlifting with a barbell.

Trap bars won't develop the same level of maximal strength as a straight bar. But that's only a factor for strength athletes. For everyone else, a trap bar is fine.
Pretty much my thoughts.

Why wouldn’t a trap bar be able to develop the same level of strength as a traditional barbell though? Assuming you don’t get one of the shit ones that are on Amazon with the puny 9 inch sleeves, you can load it up just as maximally as a barbell. In the end, does it mean you’re stronger if the bar is in front of your body as opposed to “around” your body, if weight lifted is the same?

Why wouldn’t a trap bar be able to develop the same level of strength as a traditional barbell though? Assuming you don’t get one of the shit ones that are on Amazon with the puny 9 inch sleeves, you can load it up just as maximally as a barbell. In the end, does it mean you’re stronger if the bar is in front of your body as opposed to “around” your body, if weight lifted is the same?

I'm about as far from being an expert on this as possible. But as I understand it, it's easier to deadlift with a trap bar, because the legs are more involved. So it takes more strength to deadlift 250 kilos, for example, on an Olympic barbell than a trap bar. Thus, if developing maximal strength is your main goal, then a deadlifting with a barbell is the superior option.

That said, the only people who absolutely have to deadlift with a barbell are Strongmen and powerlifters.

I'm about as far from being an expert on this as possible. But as I understand it, it's easier to deadlift with a trap bar, because the legs are more involved. So it takes more strength to deadlift 250 kilos, for example, on an Olympic barbell than a trap bar. Thus, if developing maximal strength is your main goal, then a deadlifting with a barbell is the superior option.

That said, the only people who absolutely have to deadlift with a barbell are Strongmen and powerlifters.
But wouldn’t that mean that you should be able to lift more weight with a trap bar? So eg if your deadlift max is 500, your trap bar max would be 550, thus involving more maximal strength? I’m not sure if there’s really much of a point to know the answer to that question though...

Squat racks don't take up that much space. You don't have 4ft bt 2.5 ft? Hex bars themselves take up a fair amount of space and aren't great to press with.

Rippetoe is a clown though. Obviously he's completely biased against using a trap/hex bar considering his entire system and business is based around using a straight barbell. Starting Strength is very cultish.

What he says about "forces" is comically wrong too, it's not scientifically accurate.

Using a barbell creates more shearing force than a trap bar does. Rippetoe claims the opposite of what is true.

Rippetoe is a clown though. Obviously he's completely biased against using a trap/hex bar considering his entire system and business is based around using a straight barbell. Starting Strength is very cultish.

What he says about "forces" is comically wrong too, it's not scientifically accurate.

Using a barbell creates more shearing force than a trap bar does. Rippetoe claims the opposite of what is true.
Yeah but he uses words like sagittal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back