Hex bar squats?

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 159002

I don't have room for a squat rack so I'm trying to come up with an alternative primary leg exercise. Has anyone used a hex bar to do "squats"?

My only concern is getting the down to parallel full ROM with a hex bar.

I don't have room for a squat rack so I'm trying to come up with an alternative primary leg exercise. Has anyone used a hex bar to do "squats"?

My only concern is getting the down to parallel full ROM with a hex bar.

They are much better for your back and knees. I don't do heavy back squats or deadlifts anymore instead I do hex bar lifts twice a week with ancillary work.

Literally my favourite new bit of kit in the gym.

If you are concerned about range of motion you can stand on a step.

They are much better for your back and knees. I don't do heavy back squats or deadlifts anymore instead I do hex bar lifts twice a week with ancillary work.

Literally my favourite new bit of kit in the gym.

If you are concerned about range of motion you can stand on a step.

Do you get enough ROM to feel like you've done a full barbell squat?

Do you get enough ROM to feel like you've done a full barbell squat?

I've always felt trapbar deadlifts more in my glutes than anywhere else. As far as quad development and strength go, I don't think anything can completely replace a full ROM squat. You may have to get creative and add in some accessory work that isn't so focused on your posterior chain. If you've got access to dumbbells or kettlebells goblet squats can be decent if you don't mind higher rep ranges, wall sits can be decent for static strength and endurance, bulgarian split squats, pistols, step ups etc etc.....but I still can't imagine any of those being as effective as barbell squats.

The last time i fucked up my back was on one of these. So... I'll be watching this thread.

Not quite a deadlift but not quite a squat.
Bought one recently but I don’t believe it should replace either one of these exercises. Makes a solid Farmers Carry setup though.

I tweaked my back using a trap bar for deadlifts. You can end up pushing your hips so far forward that you hyperextend your lower back. Traditional barbell deadlifts don't allow this because the barbell keeps your hips from moving too far forward.

I don't see anything wrong with the lift, assuming good technique and intelligent programming(which is a prereq for every lift). It trains hip/knee extension under heavy load, while contracting virtually every muscle above your hips, isometrically.

It may be a good alternative for athletes, as well, given the relatively low amount of skill acquisition it takes to master the technique, and that it provides essentially the same benefits as squats/deads. Also, the joint angles are pretty consistent with the "athletic position", so it's arguable the ability to apply the strength gains to (most) sports is pretty high.

I tweaked my back using a trap bar for deadlifts. You can end up pushing your hips so far forward that you hyperextend your lower back. Traditional barbell deadlifts don't allow this because the barbell keeps your hips from moving too far forward.
You can most definitely achieve lumbar hyperextension with regular barbell deadlifts. It’s one of the most common deadlift mistakes people make.

You can most definitely achieve lumbar hyperextension with regular barbell deadlifts. It’s one of the most common deadlift mistakes people make.
Yes but its deliberate and more difficult to achieve. Happens by accident with a trap bar.

Back