Herb Dean's horrible refereeing exposed

77 unanswered shots

only a diaz should be given time to respond in those situations

herb fucked up

I’m all in favor of saving these guys for another day with earlier stoppages

images

Have you seen the CB Dolloway fight. Way worse. That fight ended in submission. She was getting mauled but at least she was trying to improve position. Dolloway was like a corpse and Herb still didn’t stop it.

A couple of those stoppages in the thread are worrisome. In many others, I thought Dean reacts as swiftly as he could reasonably be expected to. I mean, after rewatching the videos a couple of times, I do realise the fighter is finished a few seconds before he steps in, but in the heat of the moment I can understand it takes those few seconds to assess the situation.

The tweet is a chain. You have to open it to view the other examples.
he posted at least 10.

hence, why the tweet in the first post said "a thread." derp.

oh, i'm old and don't use twitter because the format is fucking stupid.
Here’s my view: Herb is 100% one of the GOAT refs. Yes, he has had some bad outings (every single ref has had them), but u have to look at his career as a whole to determine if he’s a bad ref. Compare the total number of well reffed fights vs. the bad ones. It’s not even a comparison.

With that said, his GOAT status as a ref should not be questioned, but he should also be analyzed for his current status. If he has many more bad decisions, perhaps he should retire. But to call him a bad ref is ridiculous.

agreed.
I actually think we together could name 30 bad stoppages from Herb relatively easy, its just not easy for a one person to remember that many.

every ref makes bad decisions, it's the weight of his good to bad ratio that makes him good or bad. it's ridiculous how so many are jumping on the "Herb sucks as a ref and should be condemned" bandwagon ever since that muppet Dan Hardy started in. nobody was bitching and moaning before Dan Hardy's tantrum like they are now. just more fake outrage from the fake outrage community.

i think he's a decent ref, i don't think he's terrible but i also have disagreed with some of the calls he's made (and not made). but people are acting like it's crystal clear. like he's so horrible that it should be evident for anyone with eyes that he sucks and i think that is a completely overblown opinion. especially when you have assclowns that turn MMA fights into kickboxing matches because they only give you 5 secs to work on the ground. refs who just warn fighters over and over again without ever taking points and other such bullshit that happens.

Herb makes some bad calls, but he makes good ones too. i've thought he let some fighters take more of a beating than needed but i also think he's stopped a lot of fights when they should've.

oh, i'm old and don't use twitter because the format is fucking stupid.

agreed.

every ref makes bad decisions, it's the weight of his good to bad ratio that makes him good or bad. it's ridiculous how so many are jumping on the "Herb sucks as a ref and should be condemned" bandwagon ever since that muppet Dan Hardy started in. nobody was bitching and moaning before Dan Hardy's tantrum like they are now. just more fake outrage from the fake outrage community.

i think he's a decent ref, i don't think he's terrible but i also have disagreed with some of the calls he's made (and not made). but people are acting like it's crystal clear. like he's so horrible that it should be evident for anyone with eyes that he sucks and i think that is a completely overblown opinion. especially when you have assclowns that turn MMA fights into kickboxing matches because they only give you 5 secs to work on the ground. refs who just warn fighters over and over again without ever taking points and other such bullshit that happens.

Herb makes some bad calls, but he makes good ones too. i've thought he let some fighters take more of a beating than needed but i also think he's stopped a lot of fights when they should've.

He's coasting off good decisions he made a decade ago. He's one of the worst active referees right now. He's been terrible for at least several years.

Herb is not a bad referee.
But he makes A LOT of BIG mistakes throughout his career.
What mates me mad is the UFC always calling him "the best ref in the business" when it is pretty well known Big John M. was the best, but Dana hates him since he went to to Bellator.

As we already know Herb Dean is the real Mario Yamasaki...

Here's a thread of his art:

#IfHeDiesHeDies

that was a terrible bit of reffing. The guy had no chance, he just took about 20 to 30 strikes more than necessary. Fight was over but Herb let it go on, he is just incredibly inconsistent.

But....when Rousey hit Sara McMann with a body shot....Herb IMMEDIATELY stops the fight. Stupidly early stoppage. What a surprise.

Herb reads the script every time.

Last edited:
Someone needs to send this to Dan Hardy..... maybe CC Dana as well???:D

Herb is great, one mistake in every 100 fights doesn't make him a bad ref

Dolloway v Murtazaliev was by far the worst stoppage I can remember in recent history (its worse than the shevchenko/yamasaki one)

timestamped at the beatdown

Anyone who can watch that and still claim Herb is a great ref seriously needs to have their brain checked.

As for Herb, people harp on hes the best ref because hes the most famous and most well known. Hes not even top five. He is inconsistent as fuck. Some fights he stops after one punch, some fights he lets go on for ever.

Have you seen the CB Dolloway fight. Way worse. That fight ended in submission. She was getting mauled but at least she was trying to improve position. Dolloway was like a corpse and Herb still didn’t stop it.

yeh, not even comparable. Priscilla was trying to work, trying to improve position and she was also making it clear to the ref that she was ok

CB was turtled up, not fighting back, not responding to instruction and desperately waiting for the stoppage and Herb just let the pounding continue

Herb is definitely overrated. Up there with Yamasaki and Mazaghati but Dana for what ever reason allows some ref fuck ups but not others. Again. Joke of a "sport" where the org gets to choose refs to allow guys like Jones and McGregor to cheat. I hope UFC folds.

Need to add Masvidal-Cerrone and Klose-Teymur. Bad stoppages are one bad enough, indecisiveness and caving to crowd pressure is another shitshow.

The CB Dolloway one is the worst imo. Weidman was a championship fight but still should have been stopped.

I’ll give him a pass on the Randy Brown one and the upkick KO, both of those happened out of the blue and he got in there in a reasonable amount of time.

As we already know Herb Dean is the real Mario Yamasaki...

Here's a thread of his art:

#IfHeDiesHeDies

this is something i've been saying for a long time now....dean has done a decent job, most of the time...but he has a ton of blunders....the guy is all over the place with his really fast stoppages or extremely late stoppages....he's very inconsistent.

Every ref is going to make some mistakes, how could you not? IMO, Herb has been the best ref working UFC cards for several years.

i 100% disagree....herb has made many many extremely bad calls....but they weren't just all late stoppages...herb is all over the place with his inconsistency...one fight, he'll stop the fight way too early, another fight, it's way too late.

Back