Hepburn Method Question

No it doesn't...

You mean the Westside stuff? You don't DL every week, but I've seen guys do squat (or some variation) and then hit DL right afterwards. I guess on the original template you would pick between one or the other, but I've seen it done both ways.

You mean the Westside stuff? You don't DL every week, but I've seen guys do squat (or some variation) and then hit DL right afterwards. I guess on the original template you would pick between one or the other, but I've seen it done both ways.

They wouldn't max on both. They might be doing stiff leg deadlifts as an accessory or something but generally they don't squat and deadlift heavy on the same workout

They wouldn't max on both. They might be doing stiff leg deadlifts as an accessory or something but generally they don't squat and deadlift heavy on the same workout

Correct. Although I have seen guys go really heavy on DL after squat, but that wouldn't be the"West Side" anymore, just a conjugate variation. So you are right. :)

The Hepburn system doesn't have you going 100% every set though. It really doesn't use percentages, but I think some guys recommended starting at 85% of your 1RM initially.

Just curious, how would you try and work the big three into a Hepburn style of training? Do full body work every day, or some other method, like the poster mentioned above?

Thanks.

Correct. Although I have seen guys go really heavy on DL after squat, but that wouldn't be the"West Side" anymore, just a conjugate variation. So you are right. :)

The Hepburn system doesn't have you going 100% every set though. It really doesn't use percentages, but I think some guys recommended starting at 85% of your 1RM initially.

Just curious, how would you try and work the big three into a Hepburn style of training? Do full body work every day, or some other method, like the poster mentioned above?

Thanks.

Why look to Doug Hepburn if you are training for powerlifting? Although what he did was impressive at the time, he pales in comparison to the top guys today. Why not look at the way they train?

Why look to Doug Hepburn if you are training for powerlifting? Although what he did was impressive at the time, he pales in comparison to the top guys today. Why not look at the way they train?

Because I'm not training for Powerlifting. Any more than I'm looking to compete in an Olympic Weightlifting or Bodybuilding competition.

I'm training to develop strength I can then use in BJJ, Thai Boxing and Kali.

What would be a good routine or who is someone to look to for powerlifting?

PM me for an answer to this question and more. Be prepared to PayPal me $5 if you want me to respond within this calendar year.

i train for powerlifting and like the hepburn method.

You should train like Donnie Thompson who holds the highest all time powerlifting total.

Donnie Thompson: My training was as follows:

Monday Night

Bench: I used a Mastodon* bar coupled with a purple band and a Monster Mini Westside Barbell - Powerlifting Equipment - Louie Simmons - Reverse Hyper Bench - Powerlifting Articles doubled around each side of the bar. My working sets used 2 45s and a 10 lb plate per side (plus the aforementioned bands) for 5 sets of 2 reps. I finished with a single rep using 2 45s, a 25, and a 10 lb plate per side. That single was very tough and I had the

Extreme Powerbuilding: The Hepburn Method | Muscle & Strength

i'm looking to start back trining after a 6month lay-off may give this a go

This is what I'm currently doing. I am hitting the gym 2 times a week with this, instead of the listed system of hitting each major lift twice a week. My version I found also has me running this protocol with weighted pullups.

Right now, I'm on the fourth week, so I'm doing 4 sets of 3 and 4 sets of 2. Next week I am bumping it up, of course.

Has anybody tried out this method? I am considering switching over to the singles method and doing something like:

Monday: Squat, Bench

Wednesday: Dips, Chins, GHR (these for higher rep totals)

Friday: Dead, OHP

What I've found, so far, is that my form has VASTLY improved, especially in the squat. I've implemented the afforementioned self hypnosis and focus on my form thoroughly, with great results.

Question: if I feel like I can throw in more of the 3 rep sets, should I just do them and 'speed along' the program?

Question: how could this protocol be modified for some body weight gain?

You should train like Donnie Thompson who holds the highest all time powerlifting total.

Training like an elite Powerlifter will not be suitable for someone who also trains in martial arts several times per week. And Mr Thompson, with all due respect for his abilities and achievements, has freakish genetics in addition to being Juiced up to the eyeballs.

In any case, there are other training systems that get as much Love from other elite Powerlifters; for example the 5-4-3-2-1 System in which one does a set of 5 with 65-70% of one's Max, increasing the weight and decreasing the Reps each set until a final Rep. with 90%.

This was a favourite of Dr Mario Di Pasquele, who won multiple titles in Powerlifting.

Last edited:
Back