Hendricks probably had no idea what he was getting himself into

Lawblaw

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I think he didn't understand how good wonderboy really is. He had absolutely no answer to Wonderboy's offense

YJTo1iQkXA0sE.gif

R8a0s4cH1H0Qg.gif

5EopqQVZTzJ1m.gif

4ofljpMbuXB16.gif

3CwdvpPYKDLEI.gif

He must have thought wonderboy's a good striker but so were Lawler and Kampmann.

I'm sure he thought he could take a kick or two to get inside and land big rights and takedowns.

Hendricks got Fitched

just wondering how many times hendricks asked "what do i do?" to himself during this fight.

He probably wasnt as motivated for htis fight as well,thought itd be a walk in the park.

Stephen%2BThompson%2BKnockdowns%2BPatrick%2BCote%2BUFC%2B178.gif

He was landing this shot at will on Johny, credit to him for being able to handle a few of them because this counter is perfection. Johny was talking about people underestimating his striking but he's not much of a striker at all, he may have underestimated the skill level of Wonderboy like most fans. The evidence was there also to suggest that his Takedown defense had improved massively in a few of his recent fights while training with a beast like Weidman, he knows the steps to take and has the intelligence to implement the right things at the right time and that was enough that night.

He has changed his style quite a bit. When he was KOing people he could close the gap quicker than shit.

I think it stands to reason that Johnny didn't know what he was getting into. All respect to Johnny.

I'm sure he thought he could take a kick or two to get inside and land big rights and takedowns.

I think this was exactly the mistake he made. He felt like he'd control the range and make it a clinch game. In his defense, I'm sure he'd dominate if he could have imposed his range, but that gameplan miscalculation on his part was his undoing.

Maybe he can't even reach 70% anymore.

I'm a Hendricks fan... but he looked like he thought he was hot shit during that fight. Hands were down, he was acting non-chalant, and never got into that survival mode where the switch turns on and you will do anything to win.

Unfortunately when that happens in a fighter, I think his best days may be behind him.

Stylistically WB is all wrong for someone like Hendricks. WB thrives off of the distance he creates. Hendricks like it up close and personal

Wonderboy fought 37 amateur kickboxing matches and 20 pro kickboxing matches and went undefeated 57-0. I rarely see this mentioned when talking about Thompson. So yea, I'm not sure how Hendricks didn't know what he was getting himself into unless his camp is utterly useless. 57 and F'ing 0.

hendricks was like WTF the whole time

Exactly! You're a professional and a former champ. No excuses

Johny was looking for a dogfight but Wonderboy was like nah I'm just gonna hit you from all the way out here and move away every time you come for me. Back up, counter, circle, rinse, repeat.

Johny was frustrated and confused, he never dealt with a striker of that caliber before.

hendricks was like WTF the whole time
Wonder boy even confirm his gameplan, be as awkward as possible. Hendricks then spent the remainder of the fight after his td attempt, looking for counters. It fail when he couldn't close the distance.

Hendricks didn't seem to interested in the fight to be honest. He didn't put up much defense when he got knocked down, and Big John seemed to wave it off rather quickly.
Seems like he just quit to me.

Hendricks didn't seem to interested in the fight to be honest. He didn't put up much defense when he got knocked down, and Big John seemed to wave it off rather quickly.
Seems like he just quit to me.

LOL at Big John just waving it off. Hendricks took an utter ass whoopin for 4+ minutes before Big John stepped in and stopped it. Did you think Hendricks was going to make a come back while slumped against the cage? It was as one sided an affair as you can get. Holy over Ronda comes to mind. That is how bad Wonderboy beat Hendricks.

Stylistically WB is all wrong for someone like Hendricks. WB thrives off of the distance he creates. Hendricks like it up close and personal
To be fair, stylistically Hendricks is a nightmare for Wonderboy. Wonderboy just game planned perfectly.

Back