"Henderson rematch will be a more intense fight. A bit more aggressive." - Lyoto Machida

The reason to this fight is simple

Machida and Henderson are both down and need a fight to recover, but beating a unknown fighter makes nothing for their uprankings aspirations

It might not be a steroid but it's still a banned substance and let's be real we've seen Romero blatantly cheat in front of the entire world with a camera on him numerous times, there's no telling what he's been putting in his body.

That said, can Machida win the title again? Can he beat Weidman, Rockhold, Jacare, and Romero? Eh, likely not but one year ago Vitor Belfort got thrashed in one round and everyone said Vitor was done, now he's in a defacto title eliminator against Jacare and I think Machida vs. Vitor is a 50/50 fight and certainly think Machida can beat Bisping, Leites, Kennedy, Whittaker, and Mousasi again. To suggest he's done and needs to retire based on losses to Weidman, Rockhold, and Romero is a bit of an overstatement, he's not getting put out with the first punch that lands on him like Hendo.

Selfishly I wish Lyoto could fight forever but I really want him to leave with a win. Win or lose against Hendo I hope he retires.

The reason to this fight is simple

Machida and Henderson are both down and need a fight to recover, but beating a unknown fighter makes nothing for their uprankings aspirations
Exactly. Machida and Hendo have a documented preference for name fighters.

Back