HEMA, Bohurt, etc

It‘s very bulky and I find the grip not very good. Like the sword doesn‘t feel secure in the hand. If you want something indestructible to start stabbing shit in your backyard then buy it. If you want something that mimics an actual nimble smallsword then don’t because it is NOT nimble.

It‘s very bulky and I find the grip not very good. Like the sword doesn‘t feel secure in the hand. If you want something indestructible to start stabbing shit in your backyard then buy it. If you want something that mimics an actual nimble smallsword then don’t because it is NOT nimble.

That reminds me, Have you run across any similar small sword with a live blade that is worth buying?

I am by no means an expert but no, smallswords are difficult to find in my experience.
K

You run across anything worth a shit, in your travels?

I had a pretty Swell Damascus Jian once, but gave it away cause I ain't no kung-fu sword slinger.

K

You run across anything worth a shit, in your travels?

I had a pretty Swell Damascus Jian once, but gave it away cause I ain't no kung-fu sword slinger.
SOrry I have not. By the way if you look up smallswords, Cold Steel is pretty much the only option I think, except obscure brands that look pretty cheap.

SOrry I have not. By the way if you look up smallswords, Cold Steel is pretty much the only option I think, except obscure brands that look pretty cheap.
I've seen this one mentioned a few times. Its more expensive than cold steel

I've seen this one mentioned a few times. Its more expensive than cold steel

I think both these swords are even bulkier than the Cold Steel at 800+ and 900+ grams. IIRC the Cold Steel weighs like 700+.

An accurate smallsword should not be in excess of 500 grams IIRC.

At these weights you are better off with a small rapier because the smallsword has poor hand protection which is the price to pay for nimbleness. Of course unless you want to stab shit in your backyard. Skallagrim made a vid about stabbing potential and the Cold Steel Smallsword won. Like that thing would pierce a car door if you halfsword it...

I think both these swords are even bulkier than the Cold Steel at 800+ and 900+ grams. IIRC the Cold Steel weighs like 700+.

An accurate smallsword should not be in excess of 500 grams IIRC.

At these weights you are better off with a small rapier because the smallsword has poor hand protection which is the price to pay for nimbleness. Of course unless you want to stab shit in your backyard. Skallagrim made a vid about stabbing potential and the Cold Steel Smallsword won. Like that thing would pierce a car door if you halfsword it...

Was that the vid, where the idiot was doing a superman punch with the sword?

Doesn't seem like its rocket science but doesn't seem like the companies making this shit has any clue about the use.

Was that the vid, where the idiot was doing a superman punch with the sword?

Doesn't seem like its rocket science but doesn't seem like the companies making this shit has any clue about the use.
TBH i saw that vid like 5 years ago so I don t remember. But Skallagrim does know his shit when it comes to swords. He is one of the best test cutters out there and has great technique and dexterity generally, despite being a weirdo.

TBH i saw that vid like 5 years ago so I don t remember. But Skallagrim does know his shit when it comes to swords. He is one of the best test cutters out there and has great technique and dexterity generally, despite being a weirdo.
Prolly not the same one I saw then.

Confession, years before I took fencing proper I had briefly enrolled in a Kendo class. Briefly.

After 3.5 years of Epee with a Frenchman I feel no longer capable to even think in terms of Kendo, Does that make sense? I would never attempt to fight like that now. You gotta believe in your way of doing things to be effective. Other than a two handed lunge to the face, I'd be useless in Kendo, or any swinging weapon. I'd get clobbered.

Steve1948 (1).jpg

Prolly not the same one I saw then.

Confession, years before I took fencing proper I had briefly enrolled in a Kendo class. Briefly.

After 3.5 years of Epee with a Frenchman I feel no longer capable to even think in terms of Kendo, Does that make sense? I would never attempt to fight like that now. You gotta believe in your way of doing things to be effective. Other than a two handed lunge to the face, I'd be useless in Kendo, or any swinging weapon. I'd get clobbered.

View attachment 1016618
It absolutely makes sense. From a mechanical perspective, the body can move around MUCH more effectively with a sword in one hand than holding a sword with two hands. Also, you optimise reach using one hand and efficiency with proper euro fencing footwork (fuck all the circular nonsense).

It absolutely makes sense. From a mechanical perspective, the body can move around MUCH more effectively with a sword in one hand than holding a sword with two hands. Also, you optimise reach using one hand and efficiency with proper euro fencing footwork (fuck all the circular nonsense).

Yeah, Jabs beat hooks. Lends itself better to knives too.

Story of a guy with Fencing Experience:

Looks like I’m in the right place with all you nerds.

I’ve never done any of this work but I’m very interested in learning. What’s some good resources to start?
For armored knight combat

I’ll add, if you have a background I’m combat sports, you can start competing much sooner than six months.
And Hema clubs are great for sword training. (If it’s a decent club)

For armored knight combat

I’ll add, if you have a background I’m combat sports, you can start competing much sooner than six months.
And Hema clubs are great for sword training. (If it’s a decent club)
They didn’t give me this purple name for nothing!

That reminds me, Have you run across any similar small sword with a live blade that is worth buying?

Seems solid. Bit of a price tag though.

Back