help with the catch

Captain_Dammitt

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
i was workin on some cleans the other day and i had decided to try a 205 power clean and just try to max on that for the day, did a little warm up then hopped on it i pulled it but couldnt catch it, it looked like i just did a supper fast power clean i got it up but couldnt hold it after the catch, any advice

...Catch it better? A video would actually help us know what the hell you're talking about.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t-KkyeRknXA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t-KkyeRknXA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

closest i could find kinda like this

I dont know your backround and if you have done full cleans but here is a word of warning: Clear the area behind you.

I've power clean'd 100kg (220?lbs and obliously Im not bragging) but when I started to train full clean I did it with 70kg (150?) and tought it would be a breeze. First it was like a power clean with a front squat negative. Then I proceeded to try I and pull lower and jump under but alas, the power cleans hadn't tought me the correct pull for full clean and I basically threw the bar against myself and fell over several times down from the platform, saved by a great plyo exercise call'd toss the bar... So heed my words.

If that's the case, you're probably not shrugging the bar enough. And not dropping down enough. Try high pulls for a while if bar speed is the problem. And really focus on dropping down with less weight for a while if that's the problem.

You just need to pull it higher and whip the elbows around faster.

Remember that the drop isn't just letting gravity take it's natural course. You should be actively pushing yourself downwards to catch the bar.

its all good advice ima just man up and try it again in another week or so ill practice dropping and hopefully get it next time

Remember that the drop isn't just letting gravity take it's natural course. You should be actively pushing yourself downwards to catch the bar.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm trying to learn how to clean as well. What do you mean by pushing yourself down to catch the bar? Do you mean after you initiate the pull, the bar comes up, then do you switch your grip around so you're under the bar then push against the bar?

I'm not the best at cleaning, but I after the pull I think about pushing my elbows upwards. You shouldn't be switching your grip in the middle of the lift though

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm trying to learn how to clean as well. What do you mean by pushing yourself down to catch the bar? Do you mean after you initiate the pull, the bar comes up, then do you switch your grip around so you're under the bar then push against the bar?

What I mean is you need to actively pull yourself downwards to catch the bar. Not just let gravity let you drop. After the pull you have a split second to squat down to catch the bar.

I'm incredibly drunk right now, so my second post might not make a lot of sense. My apologies

ahh, pulling makes much more sense. I was wondering how the hell you can incorporate a pushing motion into a clean. And surprisingly, your posts are more coherent when you're drunk.

Thanks for the explanation.

ahh, pulling makes much more sense. I was wondering how the hell you can incorporate a pushing motion into a clean. And surprisingly, your posts are more coherent when you're drunk.

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm trying harder, that's why. No worries.

That was like a deadlift with a hang high pull. Remember it's all one fluid motion.

1.) Read this thread: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/how-clean-101-a-476277/

2.) Lower weight and practice form first before trying to max out.

Actually, most articles I've read on the Clean/Power Clean say that there are at least two parts to the pull - one part to get the bar off the floor and to your knees and then the explosive part to get the bar from your knees up into the rack.

I'm by no means a clean/power clean expert, but I did do a lot of research trying to diffferentiate between the DL and Clean pulls.

You must drop into the squat to catch the weight. Do that with a lighter BB first.

Catching the clean

Clean drops

OP was doing a Power Clean, so the squat should be minimal.

I'm guessing it's just a mental thing - I have a similar problem doing full cleans when I move close to my max. I tend to skip the squat and just power clean. All in my head, but it's hard to get over without coaching or lots and lots of reps.

cool beans dude i just started doin 205's 2 weeks ago

u need to get lower, bend your knees so when u get the weight up at the top of your swing, your body will arlready be under the bar

if that makes sense

Back