help with the catch

I'm guessing it's just a mental thing - I have a similar problem doing full cleans when I move close to my max. I tend to skip the squat and just power clean. All in my head, but it's hard to get over without coaching or lots and lots of reps.

same here im not tryin to sound cocky by no means but when im doing relativly lighter weight i have realy good technique but i remember back in the day when i would try 205 i couldnt even get it past just deadlifting it because of a mental block but now i have alot more confidence but just cant seem to put enuff power behind it for some reason

I have never done power cleans where I drop low into a front squat. I always thought that was a personal preference type thing if you "drop low" or not. I know I have read where you should "drop low" to catch the clean and I have also read how you shouldn't "drop low" on a power clean. As a matter of fact, until recently, I couldn't front squat what I can power clean. So I would think if I "dropped low" my clean wouldn't be as strong.
Anyone care to shed light on which way is proper? I saw where Green Monkey posted the squat should be minimal while others have said to drop lower.

I have never done power cleans where I drop low into a front squat. I always thought that was a personal preference type thing if you "drop low" or not. I know I have read where you should "drop low" to catch the clean and I have also read how you shouldn't "drop low" on a power clean. As a matter of fact, until recently, I couldn't front squat what I can power clean. So I would think if I "dropped low" my clean wouldn't be as strong.
Anyone care to shed light on which way is proper? I saw where Green Monkey posted the squat should be minimal while others have said to drop lower.

A power clean, and a clean are two different lifts. Power cleans, by definition can only be caught in a quarter squat or so. The point of the exercise is to pull the bar higher. Full cleans or just cleans are caught in a full squat. Which one you should do depends on your goals.

2 comments,

1. Practice cleaning from the hang position with fast elbow whip

2. Ensure that during the initial pull, you are pulling the bar from the floor to just below
the knees with the right speed--way too many guys try to yank the bar off the floor and
when they do this lose speed and momentum at the upper part of the movement, which
causes them to be in an awkward and ineffective position to rack the bar. You want to
pull the bar off the floor-almost like a deadlift and then when the is just below the knees
(this will vary slightly from one lifter to another) then began rapidly speeding up the pull
which will increase the speed (and the height) that the bar is pulled

If your position is right, you know the right spot to start accelerating when you feel a strong strech in your hammies, then you simultaniously push your hips forth, extend your ankles and shrug your shoulders, it might help to keep your shoulders a bit in front of you, kinda. And some widen their stance a bit after the "jump" when doing powercleans.

A power clean, and a clean are two different lifts. Power cleans, by definition can only be caught in a quarter squat or so. The point of the exercise is to pull the bar higher. Full cleans or just cleans are caught in a full squat. Which one you should do depends on your goals.

Ahh...I never distinguished between the two. I always assumed certain people just preferred dropping low and certain people didn't. I also always assumed when people wrote "cleans" they meant "power cleans". I geuss I'm the newb today.

Ahh...I never distinguished between the two. I always assumed certain people just preferred dropping low and certain people didn't. I also always assumed when people wrote "cleans" they meant "power cleans". I geuss I'm the newb today.

I was just thinkin' about this and how when I was doin' power cleans Cap'n said I should drop lower to catch. Hadn't realized he missed that I was doin' PCs instead FCs...

Back