help with 5x5

juicemancanada

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thank you for pointing me this way, the only thing i cannot see is when doing assistance work for the big three do you continue with the 5x5 format?? im sure u do but it isnt mentioned and i want to follow the program exactly as it should be followed.

The Bill Starr 5x5 doesn't have too much assistance. You keep up the 5x5 for overhead press, pullups and rows. If you do Bill Starr's 5x5 (the geocities madcow or eclipse gym link) then you don't do additional assitance. And I would not recommend any, except maybe for abs or a set of curls.

yeah it was the bill star one, i was wondering for the things u mentioned, thanks.

Chase with obscure pictures only loosely affiliated with the topic at hand?!?! Unbelievable.... but appreciated.

Chase, c'mon dude. Juiceman actually read the faq and has a good question.

The eclipse version of the 5x5 says not to do any assistance exercises. They say you can do some calf work if you want.

I did the 5x5 for three and a half weeks (had to stop because of a back tweak) and I can tell you that you won't want to do any assistance exercises. You're squatting three times a week and that coupled with lifting as heavy as you are will pretty much give you all you can handle. The rest periods are long also and that doesn't lend time for assistance exercises. At least this was the way it was for me.

The eclipse version of the 5x5 says not to do any assistance exercises. They say you can do some calf work if you want.

I did the 5x5 for three and a half weeks (had to stop because of a back tweak) and I can tell you that you won't want to do any assistance exercises. You're squatting three times a week and that coupled with lifting as heavy as you are will pretty much give you all you can handle. The rest periods are long also and that doesn't lend time for assistance exercises. At least this was the way it was for me.

Agreed. I just started it Sunday as a way back into strength training after a long layoff due to fight training...and I can barely walk. 90% Squat day tomorrow, too :(

I feel like you can do more than what the workout entails. The workout is physically draining though. It's great for beginners to work up a base & form. I highly recommend doing the Bill Starr 5x5.

Day 1: Weighted Hypers and Weighted Abs
Day 2: Pullups and grip
Day 3: Curlz/Dips

most in the 3x8-10 range

Defintely agree.

I do find a little time though to throw in a few plyometric exercises on the weekends

Back